X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojo_13
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Difference between different # screws?

I looking at gettin some screws for the kreg pocket system and I see they have different # screws say a #8 and a #2 but they are both 1 1/4 was just wondering if that had something to do with the threads on them or something completely differetn. Any help would be appreciated.
  • reddog552
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Belleville Il.
    • Bt3000

Thread Sizes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw I was going to explain Try this
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

If you had asked about #8 and #10, I might be able to help...are you sure you saw a #2? That would be a very very small screw. Screws are sized by guage, with the bigger the number, the larger the diameter of the screw.

I'm sure someone will chime in and explain how the numbers actually correlate to something real.

I use more #8 size than anything else, but occasionally use #10 for heavier applications and #6 for lightweight applications.
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• mojo_13
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007

Thank you for the wikepdia link I had searched on the net for an answer but came up empty never even looked there.

Ya it's a #2 and it says on the kreg webite that it is there most popular screw.

http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-SML-C125-...6917817&sr=8-2
        Last edited by mojo_13; 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

The #2 means that it takes a #2 square drive bit to turn it. Similar to how phillips bits come in #0, #1, #2, etc.
          -Joe

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

I'm pretty sure it's a #2 square drive. That's the size of the bit to drive the screw. The screw size is #8. There are two different heads, though.

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

I haven't anything to back me up, but in my experience if you divide the screw size by 64, you come up with the right size drill bit to drill the pilot hole for a screw. Perhaps it's coincidence, but a 1/8" (8/64") drill bit is the perfect size for drilling a pilot hole for a #8 wood screw. A 3/32" (6/64") drill is perfect for a #6 wood screw. Has anyone else run across the same thing?
              - Chris.

Comment

• thiggy
                Established Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Alabama.
                • Craftsman Contractor

McFeely's lists two sizes for Kreg pocket holes - #7 and #8.
                SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

At the risk of hijacking the thread....

Originally posted by thiggy
                  McFeely's lists two sizes for Kreg pocket holes - #7 and #8.
                  Are the #7s the pan heads? I know, I could look it up myself, but I'm about to start teaching. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

The #2 has to be talking about the square drive. The pocket screws thread sizes can't vary too much, because all the holes are drilled with the same bit.

Both #7 and #8 sized thread come in washer or pan. So it doesn't tell the difference between that.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2005

Hi Joe:
                      I use the Kreg System. I use #7 Course (soft woods), washer head and #7, fine (hard woods), washer head. #2 is the size driver for the screws. On 3/4" stock I use the 1-1/4". Hope this helps you.

Im A Little Petunia
                      Last edited by Im A Little Petunia; 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Im A Little Petunia
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2005

O'ops - sorry, I should have said Mojo instead of Joe when I addressed the question regarding screw sizes!

Im A little Petunia

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

#2 would be referring to the #2 robertson square drive.
                          #7, #8, and sometimes #6 are the diameters of pocket screw shanks, they compare to #6, #7 (Hardly ever seen) and #8 wood screw sizes, I'm pretty sure.
                          The lengths are 1", 1.25, 1.5, 2, 2.5" recommended for
                          1/2", 3/4", 1" etc. thick material respectively.
                          The reason is that as the material thickens, they want the screw to come out approx.in the middle of the thickness width of the wood. To do this the pocket is started farther from the end so the angle puts the hole exit in the middle. That then requires a longer screw to get the same penetration depth into the joined pice of wood.

On top of that Kreg (and McFeeley) offer two head styles, washer head and pan head, plus three thread types (fine, coarse, and hi-lo) and two finishes (regular and anti-corrosion).

You could spend a fortune preparing for any eventuality and the screws are not cheap either, running about 3 to 5 cents per screw depending on whether you buy 1000's or 100's at a time.

There is a partial solution, Both McFeeleys and Kreg (check Amazon) sell pocket screw assortments ranging from $6 to $15 or so. They'll have 25 or so of each of the the popular combinations of lengths and heads and thread types. comes in compartmented plastic storage boxes. Try combinations of search keywords kreg pocket screw kit set
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

3/4" material = 1.25" Washer Head #8 - Fine Thread for Hardwood - Coarse Thread for Softwood

This will likely cover the majority of your needs. I have never come across the need for pan head. I bought a few thousand 1.25" Fine Washer Heads and use them all the time (oddly, rarely in projects?).

Comment

• mojo_13
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2007

Thanks all for the help just bought the Kreg Master System and 1,000 of the 1 1/4 fine and coarse screws hope it works out

Comment

Working...