• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have probably 20 of the 6" F-style HF clamps. Any time I'm clamping up a small box to glue, I tend to use a bunch of them. They are also perfect for clamping dovetail jigs and other equipment to the bench. I have 4 of the longer (maybe 24"), but I prefer to use my 31" Besseys at that length. They have only gotten limited use where 12" would have worked.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have C clamps, some are HF, in 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch openings. They will exert quite a bit of force, especially the 6 inch. I have at least 4 of each size. I also use the squeeze clamp plastic things - not sure what they are called - as was pleasantly surprised with the HF ones. They won't exert nearly as much force but are still handy and quick to use. Sometimes I start assembly with one or more of these and then work my way around and eventually replace the plastic clamp with a C-clamp but it was still handy to use to line things up.

For bigger clamps, I have 8 2 foot clamps - maybe they are what you guys are calling f clamps - they have a rectangular bar maybe 3/4 wide by 1/4 thick and cast steel jaws. One jaw moves along the bar and then there is a twist style hand screw for final tightening. HF would be a reasonable source of these but 2 feet is about as long as I would want to use. You can see the bow in the bar even just twisting with your hand.

Longer than that I go to pipe clamps. For 3 footers, 1/2 inch pipe is adequate but it is nice to have both end threaded so you can extend them and then you would want 3/4. For 4 and six footers, I like 3/4 pipe. I have 4, 3 foot and 6 four foot plus two six foot. I can screw the four foot pipe clamps together or to the six foot ones.

This collection of clamps has been all I needed for several years now. Sometimes I've wanted something else but I got the job done with what I have.

Jim

Comment

Working...