X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojo_13
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

What size bar clamps do you use?

My local HF is having a big sale on the F style bar clamps and I am looking to stock up. Just wondering what size you would have the most of or which size you guys use the most. The sizes they come in are 6, 12, 18, and go up by 6 inches all the way to 36". Thanks for the help.
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have many of each size and use them all. Stock up and you'll find you still don't have enough.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I have F clamps in lots of 6 each all the way from four inches up to 36 inches *except* for 18s, all Jorgensens, Besseys or some very heavy duty older ones. I also have a motley assortment of K-body clamps for carcases and doors, and four each of 24 and 36 inch HF aluminum beam clamps for glue-ups.

I also have some pipe clamps but have never used them.

To quote an article I read this morning, F clamps like the ones at HF are good for applying light pressure over short to moderate distances, so you need lots of them to apply even pressure on large jobs. If I had more room, I'd keep buying some of the smaller ones. Get all you can afford/store in as many sizes as you can. There are times when you need lots and you can't use short ones where you need long ones and vice versa.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you get a couple of each that's a good start.
        Four of each is a good colelction. Maybe if you want to skip one or two, I'd skip the 36" and maybe the 30 (maybe just get a couple instead of four) - they start to bend a lot in that length and the Aluminum bar clamps seem to work better in that size range.

Once you get up to 2-four of each then its time to be looking at other clamps like the aluminum bar clamp and some quick grips - I'd advise four mini quick grips in the 6" size and some of the large QG in the 6 or 12 or 24-inch sizes. I think only the Irwin QGs are OK, avoid the HF ones.

Once you fill out the range and save some bucks up then maybe consider the parallel jaw clamps like Bessey K-body or Jorgensen cabinet master.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-14-2007, 12:17 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mojo_13
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007

Thanks for all the good info. Also jackellis i was wonderin how those HF aluminum clamps hold up? Just wondered if you had any problems wiht them bending since they are aluminum.

Comment

• BrazosJake
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Benbrook, TX.
            • Emerson-built Craftsman

I don't think I'd go over 18" on the F-style, they're not that strong. I have an assortment of 30 and 36" F-clamps, but they're Record and a good bit stronger than the HF. I find the 6 and 12" HF extremly handy, though.

While I haven't used the aluminum HF, I suspect if your joint is a decent fit, they're fine.

A parting thought, look at what you expect to use them for and buy that size, and buy clamps as you need them. I know you may pay a bit more per clamp than if you load up when they're on sale, but you also don't end up with a bunch clamps you seldom use. I find 24" and shorter get the call most of the time. It's tempting to buy long clamps for their big clamping capacity, but they're a PITA to deal with.
            Last edited by BrazosJake; 04-14-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

The H.F. alum bar clamps also come in 60" size. Even at that size they are fairly strong.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'm with BrazosJake on this one. 18" is about the longest length that I'll use the HF F-style for. Anything longer than that and the bars have a tendency to flex when tightened down.

When I first started out I bought a bunch of the longer ones but I very seldom use them anymore. My preference now for 24" and longer is to go with a pipe clamp but that also will be changing in the future. If the money is there and as my needs call for them I plan on adding Jet 24", 31" and 40" parallel clamps to my collection as pipe clamps can be a pain to use sometimes.

Comment

• mojo_13
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2007

Looks like i'll be stocking up on the 12" ones and maybe get a few of the others jsut to see how they work and if i'll need some more of them. Also i'm gonna start looking at the aluminum ones.

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

Also jackellis i was wonderin how those HF aluminum clamps hold up? Just wondered if you had any problems wiht them bending since they are aluminum.
                    No problems with the HF aluminum clamps.

One thought about using longer F clamps and their potential for flexing. I'm inclined to follow the advice of a master woodworker I saw at a Woodworking Show who pointed out that too much pressure is worse than not enough and advised against cranking clamps as tight as you could get them.

If parts fit together properly, you're using the clamps to hold pieces together until the glue sets but you're not trying to force them into position. Too much pressure starves the joint of glue. I would think that even with the longer clamps, if you're tightening them so much they bend, you're either using too few clamps and too much pressure, or you're not positioning the clamps so pressure is applied along the wide axis of the bar.

There may be exceptions to this rule, as in when you're using clamps to bend laminations, but in that case, you're probably using shorter clamps anyway.

BTW, Jorgensen makes two types of F clamps. The standard duty ones are probably a little beefier than the HF variety. They also make HD versions that probably cannot apply as much pressure as a parallel clamp, but they can apply more pressure than the standard F clamps without flexing.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I agree with the can't have enough theory. One of the first staircases I got involved with was with another shop. It was a curved staircase with a custom rail. It was then I realized I didn't have enough clamps. The other shop must have had literally hundreds of clamps 24" and less for glue ups on curved laminations.

It's all in what you plan to do and the type of clamp that works best. For pipe clamps over 4' I only use 3/4" pipe. For general carcass clamping for single boxes 5' or less generally will cover most glue ups.

One clamp that's not discussed much here is the handscrew clamp:

I have many of these, and I must say that they are a real treat when you need them. They have many uses and they seem to last forever. They are very versatile and offer an excellent feel for tightening pressure.

I am a proponent of using cauls with a lot of clamping procedures. It spreads out the pressure over a longer area. Getting used to how much pressure to use comes with experience. The dry fit will help in determining how well a glue up you may have. I don't want to go on too far off the post, but being ready and planning ahead for the glue up, no matter what it entails will prevent havoc at the last minute. DAMHIKT

Comment

• Stormbringer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Floral Park, NY
                        • Bosch 4000

mojo,

Just in case you need some additional info in making your selections

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=27489

Greg

Comment

• eezlock
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Charlotte,N.C.
                          • BT3100

bar clamps

I have several different sizes and types of bar clamps, "F" style, is one that I use a lot for about everything. You might want to check out the extendable
                          aluminum bar clamps form HF, they are good and strong, light in weight and not too expensive either...I have a couple of them and plan to buy a couple more when I get the chance to pick some up at HF.

In my opinion, Hf clamps are just as good as the more expensive ones if you don't try to overtighten them,wood panels and other projects don't need to be clamped with excessive pressure anyway, just enought to hold securely
                          while the glue has a chance to dry and cure. eezlock

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

I have the HF 'F' body clamps up to either 30" or 36". As far as them bowing under pressure, so will the Jorgy's I have. If you need that much pressure to close a joint up for glueing, you need to recut the joint.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

Originally posted by Pappy
                              I have the HF 'F' body clamps up to either 30" or 36". As far as them bowing under pressure, so will the Jorgy's I have. If you need that much pressure to close a joint up for glueing, you need to recut the joint.
                              I have several Jet F-style and even though they seem sturdier,they don't work a bit better.
                              spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...