X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Mahogany - good price??

He's asking $100. I'm new to buying hardwoods so I'm not sure if this is a good price.
    He says " it's Honduran Mahogany and measure between a full 4" x 4" (not 3 1/2" but a full 4" square!) and 30" to about 4" x 2" x 24" for the narrower ones.

It adds up to about 55 bdft of fine clear solid hard to find Honduras Mahogany."
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jussi; 04-11-2007, 10:13 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jussi
    He's asking $200. I'm new to buying hardwoods so I'm not sure if this is a good price.
    He says " it's Honduran Mahogany and measure between a full 4" x 4" (not 3 1/2" but a full 4" square!) and 30" to about 4" x 2" x 24" for the narrower ones.

It adds up to about 55 bdft of fine clear solid hard to find Honduras Mahogany."
    A value of about $5/bd ft comes to mind but these are thick beams, not just ordinary boards. Usually those run a little more.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

That's a pretty good per-board-foot price ($3.64) especially for baulks of those sizes, BUT you need to consider what you might use them for. They'd make great table legs, or could be sliced up to make aprons, stretchers, stiles, and rails; but they're a little narrow for gluing up into large panels.

That said, it's always advantageous to have more wood in your inventory. Good wood can be hard to find so most of us jump on a deal when we find it and worry about what to use the wood for later. If the $200 isn't an obstacle, I'd say go for it.
      Larry

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

That's a steal at $3.63 a board foot for Honduras mahogany (if it really is) especially in 16/4 as Larry stated. Well... if you have a use for that thickness or if you have re-saw ability...

Regards...

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
          That's a steal at $3.63 a board foot for Honduras mahogany (if it really is) especially in 16/4 as Larry stated. Well... if you have a use for that thickness or if you have re-saw ability...

Regards...
          I got the Hitachi CB13F a while back when Lowes was selling them as non-stock. Still haven't opened it yet. I know it's not the most powerful saw in the world but if I go slow enough will it be able to resaw the wood? I actually don't have a need for it right now but it does seem like a pretty good deal.

Oh and the price is $100 not $200 (but now corrected) like I originally at the start of the thread .
          Last edited by jussi; 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• scorrpio
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

At $100 - GRAB IT. If you can't use it yourself, you can turn it around for $200 easily - unless something is very wrong there.

Comment

• bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Alpharetta, GA

At $100 this works out to be about $1.80 bd/ft. Buy it and decide what to use it for later.

Your bandsaw should be able to cut this pretty well. Just use a good blade. Iturra/Highland Hardware Woodslicer or Timberwolf both work well.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Whoa...... I thought you posted $200 for the wood. $100 makes it just about the "heist of the century" until someone comes up with a way to get in and out of Ft. Knox without being detected.

I am not familar with the Hitachi 13" saw jussi, so I will let others that are make the call on that.

But... if you get it and decide you can't use it, some of us Atlanta area "boy's" as bthere and myself would likely offer you $125 for it and pay for the shipping. Mama's from this area didn't raise no fools!

Regards...

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47

But... if you get it and decide you can't use it, some of us Atlanta area "boy's" as bthere and myself would likely offer you $125 for it and pay for the shipping. Mama's from this area didn't raise no fools!

Regards...
                  What he said.

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

ugh, Called the seller a little while ago and he said someone is already coming. Oh well, next time I'll know to act quicker. thanks for the advice anyways.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Even though it is too late. If the total available at that price is what is pictured the BF estimate is grossly over stated. At full 16/4 thickness and 4" width each linear 9" is a board foot. Broken into 30" boards you would need 16.5 boards to total 55 bf. Unless my math skills are flawed. My rough estimate of the picture is ~=24bf.
                      Last edited by Black wallnut; 04-11-2007, 02:26 PM.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                        At full 16/4 thickness and 4" width each linear 9" is a board foot.
                        Yeah, I think that's correct. I make it to be ~20bf. In any case, it's still a decent deal. I paid ~$8/bf for Honduras Mahogany last year.

JR
                        JR

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

Yah and it was probably covered with mold underneath and termite ridden inside. I really didn't want it anyway.

Comment

• TB Roye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

Jussi

Had that same feeling a couple of times when I missed out on good deals on a Jointer and Planner. Told my self they were full of rust and had nicked blades and warped tables. Then when I least expected it, I fell into two good deals and ended with a brand new Ridged Planer and a barely used Grizzly 6" Jointer. Hang in there and keep looking but be ready to jump. LOML missed out on a couch and love seat last weekend because she couldn't make up her mind about the color and waited for her sister to help her.

Tom

Comment

Working...