X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fim
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

Transporting tools in a move

I wanted to get people's opinion on how to pack up your workshop when moving long distance (coast to coast).

I will be removing the BT3100 legs/rails and letting the pros cushion it. Most of my power tools have cases, but I still feel wary of things like my router banging around.

Then there's all the hand tools. It seems difficult to not damage things in such a big move.
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

It can't be done!! Your only chance is to give me all your tools, and you buy new ones once you get there.

If most of your tools are in cases I wouldn't worry too much about them. I have seen them take some pretty hard hits in the back of contractor trucks, with no trouble. When my Uncle & Aunt moved they had some pro movers come in, the way some of the stuff was wrapped I don't think it would have got damaged if the truck fell off a cliff. They move fine fragile stuff all the time, I'm sure they can more a tool that is designed to get bumped and banged up.

You may want to zip tie the cases shut, it will help to make sure the contents in the cases stay in the cases. Also make sure the things are properly put in the cases, not just thrown in.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I moved from TX to PA two years ago. Here's what I did:

BT3100: I removed the legs/rails/blade guard, lowered the blade beneath the surface and put it in a big heavy duty box and cushioned it inside the box so that it wouldn't bang around.

CMS: I put it in a similar cardboard box with other small items that were semi-fragile, packed so that things couldn't shift around much.

DP: There isn't much you can do to pack a DP, I just tied it to the wall of the truck and packed stuff around it tightly.

Drills, router: I had the blowmolded cases, put the tool in the appropriate case and few cases in a box.

Hand tools, etc.: planes, jigs and other fragile items - wrapped and boxed;
      hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. - left in my rollaround (I unstacked the components of my rollaround to prevent tipping).

I was fortunate to have friends in the moving business for getting a good deal on boxes, blankets, etc.

Good luck!
      Bill

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Montgomery Village, Maryland
        • BT3100

I would suggest is that you watch how the movers pack your items in the truck very carefully -- they will try and shoehorn as much above, below, around and on top of your stuff as possible. Your job is to prevent this.

For example, don't let them use your bandsaw table as a platform for more loading. The same goes for the table saw, joiner, etc, etc.

My experience is that I have damaged/broken more items by the way I loaded the truck than I ever did by sloppy packing.

Good luck!

Greg

Ps I agree with Ric, just give us your tools and get new ones

Comment

• Wood_workur
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Ohio
          • Ryobi bt3100-1

I have never moved myself, buy what I would do is buy a dozen of so of those 2-3" thick 4x8 sheets of rigid insulation. You can use that to make custom holders for all your hand tools (might take a while, but imho it is worth it). You defiantly want to watch the movers load the truck, becuase they will put 300+ pounds on top of a jointer or table saw without question. But if you have all of the hand tools packed away in foam insulation within boxes, then those boxes carefully placed on the truck, you will be fine. Just remember if you have a block full of tools, make if about 4" smaller than the box, and wrap duct tape around it (or any other securing material), then place it in a box with peanuts fill the extra space. that way, all the bumps and movement will be absorbed by the peanuts (designed to fail under a heavy load), instead of the rigid insulation and the tools. (not designed to fail under heavy load)
          Alex

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I've been packing and moving since I was 10. Dishes, tools, books, you name it, I've packed and moved it.

The advice about not allowing the movers to pack stuff on top of DP, bandsaw and table saw tables is correct. Best thing to do if you can is remove them and make sure they are packed, preferably in their own boxes, edge down rather than flat down. The more you disassemble tools and carefully pack the smaller pieces in boxes, the less likely something will get broken. It's a pain, but better than having to find new parts.

For smaller tools, believe it or not newspaper works as well as any packing material. Just use lots of it around the tool and to fill in any spaces in the box. Orient fragile stuff so it's on edge just like you should with dishes. If you're packing lots of metal tools, use book boxes and keep the weight per box down. You should be able to lift a full book box without having to strain. It's tempting to use larger boxes but they can break under heavy loads. Smaller boxes are also a bit easier to stack in leftover spaces.

A couple of other pieces of advice. I assume you're hiring professional movers. Read the contract, check their inventory of your goods, and make sure they have good insurance. Mark goods packed in boxes according to where they go, not what's in them. If you mark a box as tools, it could easily go missing. If you mark the box garage, it's less likely to be accidentally misplaced.

I hate packing and moving. Luckily I haven't had to do it in 20 years now.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Copiague, New York, USA.

Have you considered a pod. The company drops off a pod, like a container, you load it, they pick it up & deliver it to your new location. Then you unpack as you wish.
              It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• fim
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006

Thanks for the great suggestions.

For the power tools in the (zip-tied) cases, do you box them up or just let the movers transport them as-is?

The PODS are an idea, but I need my stuff insured for such a big and long move.

I appreciate everyone's kindness in relieving me of the tools so I dont have to worry about moving them! But it's been painful enough dumping some of my scrap wood...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by fim
                  Thanks for the great suggestions.

For the power tools in the (zip-tied) cases, do you box them up or just let the movers transport them as-is?

The PODS are an idea, but I need my stuff insured for such a big and long move.

I appreciate everyone's kindness in relieving me of the tools so I dont have to worry about moving them! But it's been painful enough dumping some of my scrap wood...
                  Boxing yourself (and not labeling as tools) will probably go a long way to prevent pilferage loss.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Alex's foamboard idea works great and it's cheap. Like Loring said, do't label the tool boxes as such but make sure they don't make 'tool noises' when handled which might whet someones curiosity. It sonds like you don't have cases for the smaller power tools but you can pack several in a larger box with foamboard and newspapers just so long as it doesn't go over their weight limint per box. You'll be OK.
                    Good luck on the new location/ job/ house/ shop,
                    Chiz
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

I have moved a few times, no more than 20 miles, but still a pack up and move. A warning though, if you move floor tools in a van with a glass side window, and the RAS is close to that glass and you make a hard turn and the arm smashes the glass from sliding around, and thought it was held by the planer and bandsaw and it wasn't, DAMHIKT.

Actually one of the quirks in moving for me was all the loose stuff, like hardware of all kinds, stains, loose tools, etc. If that kind of stuff is packed in large boxes, two things will happen. First the boxes are heavy as heck and you get a hernia from moving them. And second, stuff gets lost in the box cause you forgot what's in it.

Boxes shouldn't be too large, and if you have to write a list on the box of what's in it do it. Or, make a clipboard type list with a box number, and what's in it, so later after sliding them all around you can find what you're looking for.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Moving my tools TO Japan and even WITHIN Japan, I bubblewrap and bubblewrap again most of my smaller electrical tools and personally box them even though my organization handles it. Inside of drill bit boxes, I put foam and wrap the foam around the bits and use masking tape to keep it in place. Other small tools I do similar. What I can box, I box and label. I don't leave my tools for the movers to disassemble or box.

My one hundred router bits are organized and stored in three drawer boxes; I put thick foam on top and duct taped a lid on each one. That worked well and the bits stayed in place.

Larger tools like my BT and my radial drill press, I personally take them apart, bundle and wrap the pieces, put screws, bolts and wrenches in doubled up freezer bags and tape all the pieces together with duct tape.

Move from USA to Japan, No tool damage; Move from Tokyo to Osaka, same; from Osaka to Nagoya/Toyota, same.

This is my personal preference only. Never missed anything this way.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• fim
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ironhat
                          Alex's foamboard idea works great and it's cheap. Like Loring said, do't label the tool boxes as such but make sure they don't make 'tool noises' when handled which might whet someones curiosity. It sonds like you don't have cases for the smaller power tools but you can pack several in a larger box with foamboard and newspapers just so long as it doesn't go over their weight limint per box. You'll be OK.
                          Good luck on the new location/ job/ house/ shop,
                          Chiz
                          I have the carry cases for all my main power tools, but some (like the reciprocating saw) are a bit long. I guess I just need to find a big box and not load it too heavily. The smaller stuff is like dremels and ROS, which I'm not too concerned about.

And I definitely mark the boxes by location. And dont rely on their labels. Mark your own and keep your own list.

Comment

• fim
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by leehljp
                            Larger tools like my BT and my radial drill press, I personally take them apart, bundle and wrap the pieces, put screws, bolts and wrenches in doubled up freezer bags and tape all the pieces together with duct tape.
                            Did you disassemble the entire BT? I thought just removing the guards and legs would be enough. Then let the pros cushion and box it

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

I took the legs off and the rails also; I left the height adjustment wheel on.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...