• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How do you do this?

LOML found that she wanted a copy of the brackets for our kids' bedroom drapes, but could not find it in stores. The original show below.

I told her that I could make a pair for her, getting the general curved shape was not a problem.

But how do I make the groove along the outer curved edge? Anybody have any ideas?
    Attached Files
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Speciality Router bit? - something like a drawer pull bit

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

How about a cove bit that is 1/2 the size of the cut?
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Gonna take something on the order of what Rod pictured. You'd never get a cove bit in there like that. Try going through here and see if you can find something. http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...l?src=googlead Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I believe it was probably made with pattern bushing on a shaper bit. Even if you do use a router, you will need a pilot bearing and 1/4 inch shaped pattern.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Carver's Spoon Plane:

Half Round Spokeshave, Figure A:

Woodcraft and other stores.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Here's your chance for a new tool. Carvewright with a ball mill.
              Lee

Comment

• sacherjj
                Not Your Average Joe
                • Dec 2005
                • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Congratulations, Lee. I didn't think that you could reach quite that dollar level in suggestions of how to do this. Now I know.

My answer would depend on how many you need to make. I could see making a quick scraper in a jig that you could pass over the piece through a bunch of times until it is scraped down to the correct profile. That is the route I would go for 3 or less.
                Joe Sacher

Comment

• scorrpio
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Wayne, NJ, USA.

The proper tool here is a shaper. If you can locate a right-sized router bit, can be done on a router table.
                  http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/468 - see 'internal radius' bits. Available in 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, 1 1/8" cutting radius. If the groove is shallower than a full semicircle, you'll need to do one of the following:
                  Install a larger guide bearing.
                  Enlarge the bearing by winding thin strip of tape around it.
                  Then, use a beading bit to round off the edges.
                  Last edited by scorrpio; 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

If you could give some dimensions of the entire profile, like overall height (thickness), width of the edges, and depth of the cove, might be of help.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Like i have always said, 'This here is a regular university' ! Lotsa learning. Thanks for all the advice.

A pilot-bearing bit with a pattern to guide it is something i have attempted in the past, though only with a straight bit. The speciality router bit seems nice too. The manual tools (spokeshave and spoon plane) are intriguing, particularly because i have rarely tried any 'manual' techniques yet and always wondered where they'd be used. Now i know.

Had to google 'Carvewright' to see what it is. Will have to play more of the Lotto for that.

The original piece is 1 inch thick, and fits a 7" x 8" blank. I think the groove is about 1/8" deep.

She just wants one pair, and today she also doused my fire with a 'nah, i am not bothered with that groove, i just need that general shape'. I shall still try and see if i can manage this.
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• jseklund
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2006

OK, this is a suggestion more for seeing what people think of it than saying it is the route you should take. It will be a lot more work than finding a bit or using a shaper, but it may work. However, I'm new to all of this, and want to find new ways to accomplish things I don't have the exact tool for.

What about doing it with a table saw? You could center the piece ove the blade and make the deepest cut. Then lower the blade a little and cut a little more, and so on out to the edges? When it is all done- you could sand it down to make it nice and smooth. Sure it's multiple cuts, and requires work and precision and a careful hand- but it may do just fine in a pinch, don't you think?
                        F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by jseklund
                          What about doing it with a table saw? You could center the piece ove the blade and make the deepest cut. Then lower the blade a little and cut a little more, and so on out to the edges?
                          That would work (albeit a little tediously) if the piece were straight, but not with it curved in the other direction.

Knowing the thickness (which I had guessed must be about 1" to 1-1/4", from looking at the pictures), I'd make a pass on each edge with a bullnose bit and do the middle with a fluting (internal radius) bit. It might not exactly match the original but with the appropriate sized bits, it'd be close enough to pass all but the most discriminating of inspections.
                          Last edited by LarryG; 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM.
                          Larry

Comment

• messmaker
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2004
                            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                            • Ridgid 2424

I would consider dropping the grove part of the profile. It will take as much time and/or money to get that, as it will the entire rest of the piece. If you just cut it out with a jigsaw then round over the outside, you can knock it out in no time.It comes down to how much you like it.
                            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scorrpio
                              The proper tool here is a shaper. If you can locate a right-sized router bit, can be done on a router table.
                              http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/468 - see 'internal radius' bits. Available in 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, 1 1/8" cutting radius. If the groove is shallower than a full semicircle, you'll need to do one of the following:
                              Install a larger guide bearing.
                              Enlarge the bearing by winding thin strip of tape around it.
                              Then, use a beading bit to round off the edges.
                              I vote for this approach.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...