X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

planing painted lumber

I'm getting some old planks (for free) that were used as shelving for an old store. They are painted. I want to use them for a display case I'll be making. Is it necessary to strip or sand the paint off before planing? I'm sure they had or have nails in them. Anyone know of a cheap place to get a metal detector? Or is there another way to search for the nails? Obviously I can and will search for them by eye but sometimes there a pieces that are broken and hard to see.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

low cost, good metal detector.

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Detecto...3487091&sr=1-1

This is the small version, doesn't check very large area. Other Lumber Wizard products handle larger areas.
    Sold many places other than Amazon.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• birdman
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • Franktown, CO
      • Ryobi BT3000

I use a stud/metal finder that I bought some years back for around $20. It has a sensitivity dial on it. To adjust the stud finder I put a nail under the board and adjust the stud finder so it senses the nail on the other side. I move the nail around a bit to make sure the stud finder light turns off & on. For every kind and thickness of wood you test you will have to re-adjust the stud finder.

I have never hit a nail with my plainer, miter saw, or table saw after using this method of testing. Not very fancy, but has been very effective.

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by birdman
        I use a stud/metal finder that I bought some years back for around $20. It has a sensitivity dial on it. To adjust the stud finder I put a nail under the board and adjust the stud finder so it senses the nail on the other side. I move the nail around a bit to make sure the stud finder light turns off & on. For every kind and thickness of wood you test you will have to re-adjust the stud finder.

I have never hit a nail with my plainer, miter saw, or table saw after using this method of testing. Not very fancy, but has been very effective.
        That's a good idea. I totally forgot my stud finder can detect metal as well. I'll give that a try first and if it doesn't work I'll try the Wizard Detector.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

HF has one that goes on sale now and then (what doesn't?). Similar to the ones used at security check points.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• bthere
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Alpharetta, GA

Paint and the grime embedded in it can dull planer blades pretty quickly. It is probably a good idea to use a belt sander to get the paint off, then brush and blow the grit from the sanding off the surface.

Comment

• Warren
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Anchorage, Ak
              • BT3000

Yup! Go after it with an agressive belt sander before anything else. Then go looking for defects, nails, knots and such. Then go metal detecting for hidden surprises..
              A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

You might want to be careful if the paint is lead based. Wear protective masks when sanding.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...