X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mojo_13
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

Router Bit Set for a begginer

I just got my first router and I am looking for an inexpensive set of various router bits that could get me started so I can see which ones I use the most and can then buy more expensive bits for the ones I use the most. But any help would be appreciated on a set. Thanks
  • ke4rdb
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006
    • Mooresville, NC
    • Ridgid TS3650

Check out this offer below, Brian is a great guy to do business with:

James
    24 Piece Router Bits Sets - Priced Right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a whole bunch of the 24 piece router bit sets that I would like to get rid of. They are available in both 1/4" and 1/2" shank and you can select shank diameter when ordering. The price is $20 per set (discount taken when added to cart) which includes shipping (snail mail). Here is the link.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...&cat=27&page=1

For those of you familiar with the blue bits, these come from the same factory but the carbide is not as good and not as thick but for bits you probably wouldn't resharpen, it doesn't matter much.

These are also similar to the other 24 piece sets but the finish is nicer.

I have a LOT of them so feel free to stock up. Don't forget to feed your trim router too

Thanks as always.
    www.holbren.com
    Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

1. What James said. I bought a set of these, even though I have many individual bits that alone cost more than this whole set. These would be a good buy at full price; for a double sawbuck, delivered to your door, they're a certified steal.

2. Since you say you're a beginner, invest part of the money you'll save by buying the above set in a copy of Bill Hylton's excellent book, "Woodworking With The Router." Be sure to get the revised, second edition, which I think is still only available in hardcover. It'll get you off to a safe flying start with your new router, and will answer questions you didn't know you needed to ask.
      Larry

Comment

• bthere
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Alpharetta, GA

The Holbren set is a great way to begin. They will be adequate quality to learn with. They also give you an opportunity to see which bits you will actually use a lot -- you'll probably find that you won't use a number of the bits in the set. When you find out which bits you use the most, then you can look at getting better quality of those for fine finish work. You can still use the older, duller bits to do the initial cuts, then you can finish off with the expensive bit, saving its edge as much as possible.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

yup, what the prev 3 posters suggested.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Ditto the previous four posts -- higlhy recommended as a started set.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• mojo_13
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2007

Thanks for the info guys. I saw those bits for sale in the Bargain Alerts part but when i clicked on the link it said they were $35 just wondering if I had to put a code in or something. Also thanks for the info on the book I am currently in an Architectual Millwork course and mostly use the industrial machines so I will look at that book for sure to get a basis on the routing techniques.

Edit: Sorry guys didnt see the part where it said discount taken when added to cart....newbie mistake.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's one of the better bit deals I've seen yet Mojo....best get in on it while he's still get 'em... ...oh, and get 1/2" shank if they'll fit your router!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Garasaki
                  • Sep 2006

The timing of your post is so perfect it's humorous.

After you get sick of that set, I'd look to the 7 piece whiteside starter set. You get what you pay for when it comes to bits, and whiteside is a very well reputed company. I too started out recently on my first routing adventures, and I don't think there's any reason to stay away from a quality router bit even if its your first time. You can't really like ruin the bit from not knowing what your doing.

I'd go as far as to say using cheapo bits (not saying the holbren 20 dollar set is cheapo, i bought one myself) is doing yourself a BIG dis-service.
                  -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                  -Henry Blake

Comment

• mojo_13
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks alot for all the suggestions and I'll be placing my order for these soon thank you.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mojo_13
                      Thanks alot for all the suggestions and I'll be placing my order for these soon thank you.
                      if your router can take 1/2" shanks, make sure and order those. They're much stronger and stable than 1/4" shanks. Really.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...