Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Mortiser: To buy or not to buy

Folks,

I have a decent amount of amazon rewards gift cetificates and I am thinking of spending it on a dedicated mortiser. My question is this: I have a Delta 17-968 variable speed floor drill press would be worth buying a dedicated mortiser or should I just buy a mortising attachment for my drill press? Reason I ask is because I have a project "Baby Crib" that is going to need a lot of mortises and I have only been using my router and hand chisel for cutting mortises and it is a tedious process. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards!
    Last edited by SHADOWFOX; 02-27-2007, 11:16 PM.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've had both. Delta Mortising kit on a 12" delta DP and a Jet mortiser.
    a dedicated mortiser is all-around superior to a DP with an adapter.
    You're going to be doing a lot of mortises.
    Go ahead, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-28-2007, 06:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Over at the Newwoodworker

Here is the review on the adapters, that made my mind up (though I am using a router, and haven't bought a mortising machine yet.)

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...attachrvu.html
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

for something like a crib, a mortiser is probably the way to go, though you could double dowel. I use loose tenon mostly, still cut all of them with a plunge router and a spiral cutter.

I would suspect that if you have the space, you would be MUCH happier with a dedicated mortiser.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• PALefty
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006

fyi- HF is having the $99 sale going on for their mortiser right now. There are a few sites that combine this with their x-y vise for a seemingly decent low-cost solution. A recent poster just purchased one with some problems.. so buyer beware...

Comment

• Imadunatic
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Barryton, Mi, USA.

Well, for me, the only time I ever even came close to regretting buying the mortiser is when I signed the check, as far as I'm concerned, it is indispensable in my shop. I do think of it as a luxury item and I know that I would have continued to make due the old fashioned way. But if you're even considering it, I would say go for it.

Kevin
            \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• LYU370
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Streamwood, IL.

After reading some of the various comments about the attachments, I decided to go with a dedicated mortiser. Just finished a cradle that had 74 mortises, boy am I glad I had that mortiser. It flew through them, just have to make sure to get the chisel setup right, I'm still not sure if mine was setup properly since mine is a slow speed one and the chisel still smokes.

That said, here's an article about how to tune up a DP mortiser attachment: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...&contentId=679

Here's an article about mortisers: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker...ltest/body.htm
              Andy

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I also vote for the dedicated machine. Not having to break down the mortiser from the DP, or change the DP setup every time you want to use it makes it worthwhile.

Comment

• eddy merckx
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Western WA
                  • Shop Fox Cabinet

Go for the dedicated mortiser Chris. They are a delight to use. Very fast set up time, relatively little airborne dust. Pretty short learning curve. Make sure you order a Rockler Hollow Chisel sharpener as well. You'll need it.

Eddy

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

Out of curiousity, what are the capacities of the dedicated mortisers?

max plunge depth (how deep can you cut)
                    max throat depth (how far away from an edge can you cut)
                    max under chisel (whats the thickest piece that you can cut)

I'm wondering how much (if any) difference the capacities are from the attachments.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Imadunatic
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Barryton, Mi, USA.

SPECIFICATIONS MODEL 75-050

Chisel Capacity 1/4” TO 5/8” (6 TO 16 mm)
                      Maximum Chisel Stroke 6” (152 mm)
                      Distance from Fence to Center Chisel 3” (77 mm)
                      Distance from Ø Chisel to Table (Chisel 1/4”) 6” (152 mm)
                      Chuck Capacity 1/2” (13 mm)
                      Size of Table 5” x 7 1/2” (127 x 191 mm)
                      Size of Base 7 3/4” x 11” (196 x 280 mm)
                      Overall Height 27 1/2” (699 mm)
                      Spindle Speed 1720 RPM
                      Motor 1/2 HP, 110 V, 1 Ph, 3.8 A
                      Weight 76 LBS (34.5 kg) (FEELS LIKE 176 WHEN YOURE MOVING IT BY YOURSELF!!!)

Heres the specs on mine, I have no idea how this compares, but I do like it
                      \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Chris, if you want to make the mortises, get the mortising machine. I have also used both mortising bits in a DP and used a mortising machine. However, another thought. I've made that same crib and I do not have a mortising machine. What I did was run a dado in the rails and cut spacers that I glued back in to create the mortises.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I have a dedicated mortiser but when I made 4 kitchen chairs each with 22 mortises, I used a template to guide my router with a spiral cutting bit. I still like having the mortiser.

For wider pieces, you can add a bracket to raise up the mortiser. I did this to make some doors with stiles more than 6 inches wide. You do not get any additional throw on the chisel but you can get the workpiece under the chisel. Mine will also turn around backward and you could rig a special table to support the workpiece if you wanted to put a mortise in the edge of something like a tabletop.

Jim

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Festool Domino . . . . . only $800 more than average mortiser.

Comment

Working...