X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supper shaun
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006

Difference in shank sizes...

What is the difference between using 1/2" and 1/4" bits in a routers? If you have a router that only uses 1/4" bits the obvious choice is the 1/4" bit. But if the router accepts either, is there a preference? Does one work better/easier than another? The reason I ask is that I am looking at the starter kits at Holbren and both the 1/2 and 1/4 starter kits that I am considering cost the same. Is there a benefit to buying a particular size?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

IF a router accepts both sizes, get the 1/2. 1/2 are stonger, less prone to vibration, and the larger shaft allows for better grip in the collet.

For everyone that I know who have a choice, they would get the 1/2.

There are a few, very few bits that come in 1/4 only. And there are also some 1/4 bit sets that are made for miniature furniture and mini wood work projects that come in 1/4 only.

Outside of that, the 1/2 is the way to go.
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-10-2007, 06:53 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well said, Hank.
      Nothing to add except to say, technically, the 1/2" shank has four times the metal of an equivalent 1/4" shank, so you can see why its more stable and stronger.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MilDoc

1/4" shank work great in palm routers for hand work. Otherwise, go for 1/2"

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

If I'm spinning a piece of sharpened metal at 30,000 rpm only inches from my hands, body, or head, I'll take all the shaft strength I can get.

1/2 for me every time.
          -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

1/2" shank

i wish i had known better, i bought a 1/4" set with like 40 bits about a year and half ago for like $70 bucks! you can get a half decent set for about $90 with a 1/2" shank. i think, someone posted a link to it here a couple of months back.

as hank has said and loring reinforced, definately, go with the 1/2" shank! you will find that its money worth spending.

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

A good set of 1/4 bits has its uses. smaller 'laminate trimmer' routers use them. A couple imes I converted my RAS into an overarm router by using the included 1/4" collet chuck.

But 1/2" is the shank to get for any kind of serious routing.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I agree with the replies that say that the 1/4 has its place. Trim routers are great and are much more handy in certain situations than the larger routers.

However, for all round basic routing, the 1/2 inch is the best.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...