• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Using a Jointer/Planer

i remember seeing somewhere in some post that before you start using a jointer/planer, you should read some article in some magazine. that post stated that this article taught a new person the techniques of using a jointer/planer.

can anyone tell me what magazine and possible what date or issue it was? i am going to use my jointer/planer for the first time, and wanted to learn before i try to plane wood that i some what bowed and twisted.

i want to practice before i make it final

regards,
    • Mar 2005
    • Maryland
    • Craftsman 22124

it comes up from time to time and Im not sure what the last one was but basically you use a straight edge on the outfeed table to ensure the blades are level with it. Then flaten one face of the board. If its really bad try to use that for shorter pieces as they are easier to get flat and use your straightest boards for the biggest pieces. After you have a flat face you make sure your fence is set at 90 degrees and get a flat square edge.
    Then you can plane it to required thickness (fresh flat side down)and rip it on the TS.
    YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Try this link: http://www.woodworking.com/article_a...6&article=1507
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

This thread from a little more than a year ago ...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=16211

... may be of some use. It covers some of the issues that many who are new to using a jointer run into.
        Larry

Comment

• ChrisD
          • Dec 2004
          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

There's also this article from Tom:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/squrstock.html

BTW, by "jointer/planer", you actually mean "jointer", right? I mean as opposed to a combination jointer and planer (thicknesser) machine?
          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ChrisD
            There's also this article from Tom:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/squrstock.html

BTW, by "jointer/planer", you actually mean "jointer", right? I mean as opposed to a combination jointer and planer (thicknesser) machine?
            Jointer planer refers to this kind of device which both "joints" an edge
            and can "plane" a face flat.

A thickness planer is different, it can plane a side of a board parallel to another flat side.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ChrisD
              • Dec 2004
              • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Jointer planer refers to this kind of device which both "joints" an edge and can "plane" a face flat. A thickness planer is different, it can plane a side of a board parallel to another flat side.
              Correct, Loring. I'm just not used to a jointer being referred to as a jointer/planer although I know it performs both functions.

Chris

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by ChrisD
                Correct, Loring. I'm just not used to a jointer being referred to as a jointer/planer although I know it performs both functions.
                It's kind of an obsolete term, and/or a regional term. I grew up calling it a jointer/planer. Now and then you'll see a manufacturer that still uses that name. But in most cases, it's been shortened to "jointer."
                Larry

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

They called it a jointer-planer back in HS wood-shop when I passed through in 61'-65'. But yet we had a large commercial planer (20") sitting right beside that jointer-planer. :>)

I have since changed my terminology to just jointer and call the planer the planer. If I am dealing with someone from Europe or anywhere outside the U.S. I use the terms they use which are surface facer for jointer and thicknesser for planer.

Note to footprintsinconc (Omar):

If the links given by the guys don't contain anything but how to set up a jointer or surface planer properly.. there are other key issues that go beyond set-up. Such as proper balance and stance addressing the machine, how to feed properly, depth of cuts you should make in one pass, etc. etc.

If that is not addressed.. PM me and I will call you sometime over the week-end to address them as I feel they are essential in proper results and safety. Going to be busy Saturday as I have to pick up my new Steel City jointer.. or it that surface planer? ha.. ha...

Regards...
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• ChrisD
                    • Dec 2004
                    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Ironic: I just realized that my Ridgid is actually sold under the name "Jointer/Planer"! Well, another piece of knowledge gained.

Thanks for the lexical lesson.

Chris

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                      • BT3100

thanks

Thankyou all for the links and information! initially i was hesitant to ask, but with some encouragement, i am glad i did.

i initially for many years thought it was only a jointer and that you never face planed on it. since i never had one, never gave it that much thought. but since nov last year, i have been confused many times when i read jointer, planer, thickness planer and the many ping pong style post going back and forth between 'are you talking about jointer' or 'planer - thickness planer, right?'. it got a little difficult to understand what was going on. it was amusing. but then in dec, i bought a thickness planer and started to get interested in the ridgid jointer/planer. that is when i started to understand the difference between them all. initially, i also refered to the jointer/planer as 'joiner', and i probably confused the **** out of a lot of people in one of my earlier threads .

when i bought the jointer/planer, the box had both words on it, so now i am going to get into a habit of the following when refering to the different machines - i will type the whole thing out to eliminate confusion (so someone doesnt understand something different): thickness planer, jointer/planer, and 'joining' is a technique of joining two pieces of wood by either doweling, biscuit cutting, etc.

i have printed out the material that all of you have suggested, and will go thru it hopefully by next week and probably get to try my jointer/planer next weekend (if i dont have to do any gardening).

after i am done reading, i think sarge, i will pm you and go thru the stuff that you said, because that is the information that i was looking for.

once again, thank you for the valuable information that all of you have provided.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                        when i bought the jointer/planer, the box had both words on it, so now i am going to get into a habit of the following when refering to the different machines - i will type the whole thing out to eliminate confusion (so someone doesnt understand something different): thickness planer, jointer/planer, and 'joining' is a technique of joining two pieces of wood by either doweling, biscuit cutting, etc.

I think you have it now. That is the best way to use language to be clear. So many people, esp. newbies are so loose with their terminology its impossible to give any help. I'm glad you took the time to be "Educated".
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Don't hesitate to call on that info, FP. And if you rush over to my house I will let you help take a 75" long 450 pound jointer off the back of my pick-up. We'll take you through all the steps from ground zero up. ha.. ha...

Gotta go as some in-genuity and a lot of mineral spirits and rags await my attention. This isn't the fun part of WW... no indeedy! :>)

Regards...

Comment

Working...