• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofna89
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Portland Maine

Craftsman router

Anyone have an opinion on this router Im thinking of purchasing? Its model# 17543. Thanks http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...7.184&fmt=jpeg
  • wade78
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2007
    • Corona, CA
    • Craftsman 21829

I updated the link for you.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Po rtable+Power+Tools&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Tri mmers&pid=00917543000

I am also interested in any feedback regarding this model as it seems like a good buy.

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

I don't have any particular experience with this model...

It looks like a cost-reduced version (or a knock-off copy) of the Bosch 1617, my newest router.

Craftsman's track record with routers is variable. The most often heard complaint I've heard (and experienced with my two Craftsman routers) concerns the depth adjustment. I'd examine it carefully and convince yourself that it will hold the router body securely in place. (I've had to work on both of my Craftsman routers to improve the depth adjustment fastening system. Ironically these routers are many years apart in pedigree and of completely different design!)

In spite of my negative comments, I often use my newer Craftsman model for hand routing with bearing-guided bits. I love the work light feature, it should be found on more expensive routers.

My experience with Craftsman has been that, in spite of their mention of 100% ball bearing motors, is that the bearings are... shall I say, "cost-efficient" and will be a likely service item in the future.

If you are a casual user, this router may be an inexpensive way to get a decent router in your hands.

Comment

• ChongoChingi
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007
        • Oklahoma City, Ok
        • BT3000

I was looking at that router too ofna. I am new to woodworking and I would really like a decent router without spending $200. This really looks like a good deal but I want to hear some feedback from someone that owns one first. All the reviews I have read about routers seems to point at low end Craftsmans as not being very reliable, but this one seems like its a new model. It would be great to have someone chime in with a "I have one and it works great" right about now!

Comment

• wade78
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2007
          • Corona, CA
          • Craftsman 21829

They have these available in store. If anyone with some experience has a chance to play with one, give us some feedback.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

The thing I would determine about a craftsman router is who made it?
            You need to look at one in the store and get the full number from the nameplate. It will have a number like xxx.174530 where the xxx is the manufacturer number. If you go to www.owwm.com and then to the sears section within, they have a tables that cross the number to specific manufacturers. 315 is Ryobi, for example. Ryobi made a lot of CM's lower priced routers. The Ryobi routers haven't been that good altho usually a cheap price point. Sears has sold a Bosch 1617 as a Craftsman Professional, with cosmetic changes (red instead of Bosch Blue) and CM badges. This was a good router but it was also $200, not $129.

So first thing, who made it?
            whats the manufacturer code? You'll have to look at it in the store, its never in the ads or on-line description.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kevincan
              Established Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Central Illinois
              • Craftsman 21829

I have this router set from Sears. it is hard for me to comment on any comparisons to other routers because this is my 1st router. I have only had a chance to use it once in my router table. It functioned fine for what I used it for. Sorry that I cant comment any more on its performance.

It is a very nice setup. It comes with the fixed and plunge base, motor, straight edge, vacumn attachment for both bases and a nice case. It also bolted up in my router table with no modifications ( Sears BT3 copy 21829).

This router is made for Sears by Chervon Power. When I bought this online it was not available in stores and it was missing the manual and some parts. The CS people at Sears were not able to help and had me contact Chervon direct. They were very helpfull and sent out the manual and sub base that was missing.

Kevin

Comment

• wade78
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2007
                • Corona, CA
                • Craftsman 21829

So, is Chervon Power a reputable company? I have never heard of this manufacturer.

Comment

• ofna89
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Portland Maine

I ended up purchasing this router the other day but havent even opened the box yet due to no bits to use. Today though I did pick up some bits. I ended up with this one mainly for the price, have good luck with Craftsman for what I do and that i have the 21829 ts so this should bolt right up. Thanks

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

A quick check on the web shows them as a relatively small company in Nanjing, China (mainland). Sales of about $100 million USD and approx. 1,000 employees. Their web site (www.chervon.com) is rather minimal, showing only a couple of pictures and both the Huskey and Tradesman brand names. They were established in 1992 and they manufacture a number of small electric tools.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      A quick check on the web shows them as a relatively small company in Nanjing, China (mainland). Sales of about $100 million USD and approx. 1,000 employees. Their web site (www.chervon.com) is rather minimal, showing only a couple of pictures and both the Huskey and Tradesman brand names. They were established in 1992 and they manufacture a number of small electric tools.

CWS
                      so they build low-end tools for Lowes and Home Depot (and now sears).
                      Not a distinguished pedigree.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ofna89
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Portland Maine

Am I not seeing this site right? Where did you go to get your info on a yearly revenue and employees?

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Last night, on the way home, I stopped at the local Sears to have a look at this router. They didn't have the two base kit, but did have the fixed-base-only version, for $80.

The model number is 320.17542, indicating it's made by a company not on any list of Sears manufacturers codes I've seen, but I see that someone else identifies this as Chervon Power. Country of origin is China.

It has an 11 amp, variable-speed (12-25,000 RPM) motor. The base plate is clear (nice touch) and accepts standard Porter-Cable style guide bushings. It includes a rack-and-pinion height adjuster and a built-in light, two features found on many Craftsman routers. The display model I saw was fitted with a 1/2" collet (good); don't know if it also comes with a 1/4" collet (a nice accessory to have, but not a deal-breaker if it doesn't). It has a spindle lock for one-wrench bit changes, which is a feature I know a lot of people like although I myself much prefer the conventional two-wrench system.

The height adjuster had about a half-turn of slop in the works, and the pinion gear looked none too robust. But with the slop taken up with the knob, the motor traveled up and down smoothly and the lever locks down VERY solidly. I'm just guessing, but I don't think this model would suffer the height-locking problems that other Craftsman routers have had (including the one I bought almost 30 years ago and still have). The motor cylinder slides easily out of the base when you push in a small button next to the locking lever.

The overall fit and finish seemed pretty good, considering the cost. Not in the same league as Bosch or DeWalt or P-C or Makita, but not bad. Comparable to Skil, say.

That's about all I could tell from a brief, in-store examination.
                          Larry

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Ofna89,

Sorry, I only gave the Chervon site link, but stated it was "minimal". I then did a Google search and picked up a few hits. The stats I mentioned came from:

While I agree that there web site posting doesn't make for a great "pedigree", I suppose the proof will be in the actual product experience that is incurred. The router in question appears to have some decent features for the price, time will tell.

CWS
                            Last edited by cwsmith; 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM.
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• kevincan
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Central Illinois
                              • Craftsman 21829

The router comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I don't know if it accepts standard Porter-Cable style guide bushings. The person I talked to at Chervon told me that they had a bushing set they were coming out with soon that Sears will be selling. I did not see anything online the last time I checked at Sears.

Kevin

Comment

Working...