• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Miller
    Then, use any of a number of dado jigs, with some stops tacked on.
    Or if you have a steady hand, do like David Marks does when he cuts mortises for loose tenons using a plunge router: start out in the middle somewhere, and gingerly work your way out to both ends, by eye.
    Larry

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Tom Miller
      Not sure I understand the problem -- is it that you don't have a plunge router? Or do you have a straight bit that's not exactly meant for plunging?

Keep in mind, you don't have to start with the router at one end. You can start somewhere in the middle, plunge in, then go to one end, and reverse course to the other end.

Then, use any of a number of dado jigs, with some stops tacked on.

Regards,
      Tom
      Sorry, now that I read my own post again...i am not very clear there

ok, lemme try again.

the dado jigs i have seen (here and elsewhere) and understood the use of, work like this -
      (a) clamp the jig with its cutting-guide-edge(s) aligned to the the desired dado line(s)
      (b) position the router on the jig, with the bit at the exact depth as needed, but not touching the workpiece - just slightly outside it's edge.
      (c) when the router is started, the bit rotates in thin air, and i move the router onto the workpiece within the jig's guides and thus rout the dado. keep moving the router till it clears the workpiece at the other end.

and if i understand all your post(s), i could do all that with a plunge router, except that i'd plunge the spinning router bit into the workpiece and take it out before i reach the other end. and i guess those stop-blocks might be vital for exact positioning.

NOW i get it!!! thanks for being patient

and i need crokett's beer now.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

Router Dado Jig

Here is a general, simple idea for a jig to use with a router to make stopped dados. Not my original idea, saw it some magazine a while back. Save attached zip file then open with Word or WordPad.
        Last edited by ragswl4; 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM.
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ragswl4
          Here is a general, simple idea for a jig to use with a router to make stopped dados. Not my original idea, saw it some magazine a while back. Save attached zip file then open with Word or WordPad.
          yeah that's good. If you put a vertical board on the end, a "hook", then you can get consistent spacing of the start point from the edge of the board.
          If you extend one of the side boards and put a tab there then you can also use that to index to the last slot and get consistent spacing of the slots.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...