• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

First Saw Mill Visit

Found a sawmill not 8-10 miles from my house. Finally made a trip out there. Out in the boonies and in the middle of a farm. The guys were incredibly nice and spent a lot of time talking to me.

Picked up 25 board feet of sugar maple for the bed I'm working on. $1 per board foot, can't beat that. I think walnut was the most expensive thing they had at $2 per board foot. Quartersawn white oak for $1.50 a foot. Cherry that was air dried for $1.50 and kiln dried for $2.00. I took a piece of the maple and ran it through the planer just to get a look at it -- very nice for my purposes.

I'm still struggling with the moisture content thing. These boards tested anywhere from 12% to 20% so I don't think they're exactly ready to be used. But can I expect that to come down while stored in my garage ? It's on shelving up near the ceiling now with blocks between each board. Just not sure what to expect.

Steve
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ssmith1627
    Found a sawmill not 8-10 miles from my house. Finally made a trip out there. Out in the boonies and in the middle of a farm. The guys were incredibly nice and spent a lot of time talking to me.

Picked up 25 board feet of sugar maple for the bed I'm working on. $1 per board foot, can't beat that. I think walnut was the most expensive thing they had at $2 per board foot. Quartersawn white oak for $1.50 a foot. Cherry that was air dried for $1.50 and kiln dried for $2.00. I took a piece of the maple and ran it through the planer just to get a look at it -- very nice for my purposes.

I'm still struggling with the moisture content thing. These boards tested anywhere from 12% to 20% so I don't think they're exactly ready to be used. But can I expect that to come down while stored in my garage ? It's on shelving up near the ceiling now with blocks between each board. Just not sure what to expect.

Steve
    Good prices, I'm very envious that you have a source so close to home, too.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm excited. It's very tempting just to go back there and buy and load up a truck with it. I don't need anything else at this minute but I have plenty of room to store it and at those prices, how can you go wrong ?

Steve

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Go back and buy it if you have the room to store it. You won't need to worry about getting wood for a while and if the mill operator decides to pack up and leave tomorrow you will be kicking yourself for not going. Besides, then you can come back here and post a wood gloat.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Those prices are KILLER!

On MC issue, make sure you are using correct wood species and adjusting for temp. If you are ok on those and you a still reading 12- 20% then, yes it will need additional drying. Unless your garage is heated I doubt it will dry more, particularly the 12% stuff. You need to bring it into a heated area, wait until Summer or have then throw it back in the kiln.

Comment

• p8ntblr
            • Jan 2007
            • So Cal
            • Craftsman 22114

wow those are some good prices
            -Paul

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Steve, isn't Corryton near Chattanooga? Or maybe Knoxville?

(Yes, I could look it up in an atlas ... but how would that help my post count? )

Asking because somewhere near either city would be within a semi-reasonable driving distance for me ...
              Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
                somewhere near either city would be within a semi-reasonable driving distance for me ...
                Starting to sound like a reasonable drive more me!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                  (Yes, I could look it up in an atlas ... but how would that help my post count? )

Larry like you really need help with yours!

If I had a mill close by with Walnut @ $2/bf you can bet I'd be spending.....errrr investing a paycheck there!
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Actually you do Mark

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    If I had a mill close by with Walnut @ $2/bf you can bet I'd be spending.....errrr investing a paycheck there!
                    Well not more than a day round trip is it? To BC Lower Mainland?
                    I know of a sawyer in Chilliwack that has incredible prices on nice lumber.
                    Including some old growth Walnut. Likely not that cheap but pretty close.
                    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• dsellinger
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2006
                      • NW WA
                      • bt3000

This guy?

What is the deal there, you just give him a call and head over with your checkbook?

Comment

• ssmith1627
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Corryton, TN, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the feedback on the moisture content. That does help. I'm too new to this to know what to expect. Hmmmm. Can I stack lumber in my living room and get away with it. We never really use that room......hehe
                        And this is a bed for a child we hope to find for adoption.....so my wife can't complain TOO much, right ??

And yes, Corryton is basically Knoxville. Knox County anyway. The sawmill is in Grainger county, just across the line. But you think I'm gonna give up my source before I at least buy what I can afford to buy ?? haha

Actually the guy was listed on woodfinder -- just search based on zip code 37721 (Corryton). His woodfinder site hasn't been updated in months but the price list he gave me Saturday doesn't look much different.

Steve

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by bigsteel15
                          Well not more than a day round trip is it? To BC Lower Mainland?
                          I know of a sawyer in Chilliwack that has incredible prices on nice lumber.
                          Including some old growth Walnut. Likely not that cheap but pretty close.
                          238 miles one way so, yes about a days drive round trip.... kinda wonder what my own country's customs would do to me though. Thanks for the lead though.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dsellinger
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jun 2006
                            • NW WA
                            • bt3000

Looks like they wont do much to me.

Plus you can get your GST back.

Comment

• Dagwood_55

The lumber won't dry in your unheated garage enough. Though you could use it for some projects, (meybe toy cutouts), but I would'nt want to glue any up for indoor use. And the bad thing is no matter how long you keep it, the lumber will only dry so much, prolly down to 12% at best, and the core of the wood might/will be even wetter. You can store small quanities in your attic, with stickers between the layers and it will dry enough, but it will take awhile.

Comment

Working...