X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fim
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

Uses for old hollow doors?

Looking for some ideas on hollow flat doors.

I just replaced all my interior doors and have like 12 of these doors. They feel a bit heavier than the hollow doors at HD, as they are original doors from the 70s.

I thought about using a few as a base for my BT. I have extra rails that I havent gotten around to installing. But would these doors be stable enough?

Any other good uses?
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I have tried using hollow doors for counter tops in the garage and workshop and found them to be too light-weight and too easily damaged in ordinary use. I have had better success with solid doors, but sometimes the grain is inconvenient. I prefer two pieces of 1/2 inch particle board or 3/4 inch melamine board if I want it to look smooth and spiffy looking (at least until it gets covered with "stuff").

The best use for the hollow doors has been as shelves above wall cabinets in the garage and workshop. They are light, strong enough, and just slightly more expensive than various kinds of 3/4 material. They just about double the size of the storage area above the wall cabinets and no one I know is tall enough to worry about bumping heads. The other stuff is just too heavy for this old guy to manage.

I have use eyebolts (in the outer corners and middle) of the doors, short lengths of light chain, and screw-in hooks in the ceiling (into the joists) to keep them from tipping. The front supports have not been a problem since most of the stuff up there has to be in modest sized boxes or this old guy can't lift them.

IMO, they would be way too flexible and lightweight to use as a base for any power tool.

Regards, Steve
    Last edited by steve-norrell; 01-28-2007, 01:16 PM. Reason: Added thought.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I agree they would not be a good base. The issue is that the center is cardboard adhered to the skin on each side of 1/8 plywood by what looks like hot melt glue. There is solid wood around the edge. They are stable but not real strong. I wouldn't use one for the base of a BT3100 but they would make a good extension table or outfeed table (not real ruged but good if you do not beat on them).

Jim

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Uses for HC doors....

This brings back my college days.....

With two two-drawer filing cabinets, you have a desk.

On a pair of sawhorses, an assembly table.

Across a doorway or hall, a makeshift safety gate.

Really wide shelves.

Or something to punch when you're REALLY angry.....

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• eezlock
          • Feb 2006
          • Charlotte,N.C.
          • BT3100

old hollow doors?

Might take one and make a flip up out feed table for the tablesaw...it is strong enough for that.....don't need a lot of weight here, just good stock
          support is what you would be after in this application.

You might want to make some type of vertical divider system for plywood,sheet storage, etc. Or a light weight, solid top work table that
          would be put across two sawhorses for a temporary use situation.

Just a couple of ideas here.....eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the faces are thin but laminating a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4" MDF on it would provide a fairly flat & stable base and a strong face. If they are free, then that's a way to go. Could laminate with glue or maybe just some flat head screws around the perimeter. The solid edge will provide a base for clamping should you want to use if for a benchtop/ worktable.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• WoodButcher26
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Dayton, OH

Been using a hollow core closet door for an assembly table for the last year. I just put it a five gallon bucket under each corner and get to work. Easy to place, easy to move, and no heartaches if it gets marred or bunged up. Also makes a fairly flat surface for clamping.

Last fall I had a short entertainment center on it, and had to get up on the "table" to do some work on the top. I was a little concerned about the total weight on it, but other than a few creaks and groans (not enough exercise on my part ) it held up just fine. I'm keeping one around my shop from now on for the purpose.

Kim
              Measure it with a micrometer...
              Mark it with a crayon...
              Cut it with a chain saw!

Wood Butcher

Comment

• bigstick509
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Macomb, MI, USA.
                • BT3100

Out Feed Table

They make a great out feed table for the BT.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I got a deal on a few doors at a garage sale for $5 each. I bought a folding leg kit for about $15 at HD. I cut a 3/4" ply plate as a mount for under the table (cause screws won't hold in the face veneer. Screwed on the legs and voila, a very light, easy to store set up table. It can be made the height of the saw table as an in/out/side accessory table. It's a great take-it-to the jobsite table.

I made two long boxes about 5' long, and about 6" wide that the tops protrude from the front about 1". The 1" is an edge for clamping stock or stops for repetitive cuts. The boxes are 4" high, the same height as my CMS. I can set my saw in the middle of the table with a box on either side and have a 10' miter station anywhere I want it. I can remove all that and have a table anywhere I want it. Very convenient, light, easy to store or pack up for transport. I can set up on site in less than 5 minutes, for less than $20.

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• fim
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks for the ideas.

They seem a bit heavy for a folding outfeed table.
                    I'm going to dissect one tonight. They are easily twice as heavy as the current hollow doors at HD.

I already have shelving in the garage, but I might replace a few with these. The doors look like they'd be pretty heavy duty as shelves.

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

My computer is sitting on one right now. I have one side and the back fastened to the wall and the other side sitting on a file cabinet. I have stood on it more than once to reach the shelves about it.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...