• Show
Clear All
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
    What is an appropriate usage (within woodworking, or in the house) for such magnets?

What use have you put a rare-earth-magnet to?
    When I made my built in desk this summer, I had a couple trim pieces that I need to easily remove to access wiring. This is trim at the bottom of the desk, against the floor. I put two magnets (one each end) in the pieces, lined up with steel angle brackets screwed into the inside of the desk sides. Works very well. You can't see any attachment method (ie no exposed screws) and the cats can't easily knock them out of place. I can still get to the baseboard mounted electrical outlet behind one, and the phone/network jack behind the other.

Jim

Comment

• Martin
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Carrollton, TX, USA.
      • BT3100; Antique Delta 8" tilting table

Cheap source of rare earth magnets

If you disassemble (destroy) an old computer hard drive, you might find between 1 to 4 thin irregular shaped rare earth magnets. Mine work good on the side of the drill press to hold the chuck key.
      Any rare earth magnet must have a keeper accross it or it will gradually lose strength.
      INDECISION IS THE KEY TO FLEXIBILITY

Comment

• Peter59T
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2006

I use them here, I use them there, I use them almost everywhere

Rare earth magnets are great. Rockler and Woodcraft sells them too.

I love them. Besides various jig/workshop thing the best thing I have done so far is "retrofitting" all our refrigerator magnet trinkets. Nothing will ever slide down and off that door again! Hey, you can almost hang a cook book with one, or at least Gourmet Magazine.

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Handy use for a rare earth magnet

Originally posted by Martin
          Mine work good on the side of the drill press to hold the chuck key.
          My favorite use indeed!

I bought the standoff magnetic tool holder from Lee Valley (50K18.01). It has a larger magnet on one side to attach to your equipment, while your tool attaches to the other. The idea is to insure that the magnet stays with the equipment when you pull the tool away.

I absolutely love it for providing a convenient place to hold my drill press chuck key. (No tether on the key to get in the way). I used to misplace my chuck key frequently. Haven't lost it since I put the tool holder on the drill press.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I really like having the micropositioner attached to the rip fence magnetically. You do not have to lift the rip fence to attach or detach the rip fence and it eliminates the slop of the hook. I epoxied a metal washer sold by Lee Valley to fit the little magnet I used (the next to the smallest size) and epoxied a cup for the magnet to the hook of the positioner. Simple cheap enhancement of the saw.

While magnets will not stick to the table of the BT3100 or the rip fence, they will stick to the sides of the saw.

Jim

Comment

Working...