• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Rare earth magnets/glue

Where do I get rare earth magnets? In a plan I found off the web they use it to affix an auxilary table to the table saw? Also what type of adhesive do I use to adhere it to the wood? What type do I use to glue a T-Rack to wood?
    -Paul
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I would say use a two part epoxy of the appropriate type for the magnets. While that would work for the T-track too, I like to use short screws instead. It might require drilling and countersinking for the screws, but also affords recycling for use on an update jig or fixture should the need arise.
    Another problem with gluing them in is if they don't dry perfectly, what are you going to do about it? Not much.
    Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hartville Tool has them...Woodcraft might also.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I got some of the surplus magnets from K&J Magnetics and they are serious stuff. Good bang for the buck too. I believe I paid about 20 bucks shipped for 100 ZD2 magnets.

The regular priced ones are even stronger. The higher the grade number,the stronger, so N40 is a stronger magnet than N35. However, you can stack them too--I like the discs because you can just drill your hole deeper and put in two instead of one for more pull.

I've used super glue on mine so far.
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Two additional sources for rare earth magnets:

www.leevalley.com
          www.digikey.com (part numbers 469-1000-ND thru 469-1007-ND)

Prices on these magnets vary considerably between suppliers.

Digi-Key caters to the electronics world. They generally ship same day.

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Let's not forget .... http://www.amazingmagnets.com/ .... their whiteboard magnets are AWESOME around the shop, and the prices are reasonable.
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

1. eBay, search for magnets
              2. hot melt glue (foir magnets to wood)
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

What is an appropriate usage (within woodworking, or in the house) for such magnets?

I can see that the strength of the magnet can really scale up (14 lbs pull force for a tiny 1/2" dia, and this lonesome hook allows for 361 lbs of pull force?!!! I could hang all my tools and myself onto it.... !!)

I thought a couple could be used for a shop-made magnetized feather-board, but too small a one would not be good enough, while too powerful would make it difficult to detach it.

What use have you put a rare-earth-magnet to?
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Just one (probably too obvious) note... I'm not sure if you're a darksider, buit if you own a BTxxxx saw you won't be using magnets to attach anything to the table or the rails directly as those are aluminum. A piece of iron/steel could be put into one of the t-slots which would give good attachment strength for smaller magnets, but something bigger may need to be attached as the size/strength required increased.

Kristofor.

Comment

• THyman
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

You can also get them at Rockler or maybe an Ace hardware as well.
                    War Eagle!

Comment

• jziegler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Salem, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I got mine from Lee Valley as part of a larger order. I doubt I would place an order for just the one item.

I have used regular, 5 minute type epoxy. Drilled a matched hole with a forstener and epoxied into the hole.

Digikey is a good source for electronics and electronics related hardware, but they have a hefty $5 handling fee for all orders under $25. Unless you plan to order lots of magnets, or some other parts they carry, there are probably better options.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by radhak
                        What is an appropriate usage (within woodworking, or in the house) for such magnets?

I can see that the strength of the magnet can really scale up (14 lbs pull force for a tiny 1/2" dia, and this lonesome hook allows for 361 lbs of pull force?!!! I could hang all my tools and myself onto it.... !!)

I thought a couple could be used for a shop-made magnetized feather-board, but too small a one would not be good enough, while too powerful would make it difficult to detach it.

they can hold fixtures on place on machines with steel fences and tables.
                        They can be used to couple things together (like someone used a pair to connect a micropositioner to a fence) where you need them to come apart under force or coersion.
                        Brio trains the wooden kids toys) use them to couple cars together - other good toy usage possible
                        People use them for cabinet door closers like a latch but don't physically have to touch and create wear.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ChrisD
                          • Dec 2004
                          • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Jigs are probably the most common application for magnets in the woodshop. Or holding your tools up on the wall.

Some folks incorporate cam levers into jigs to assist in prying it off the cast-iron surface.
                          The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• p8ntblr
                            • Jan 2007
                            • So Cal
                            • Craftsman 22114

I'm making a slider miter table. I'm going to put the magnets on the auxilary table to the right of the slider to catch the excess piece as I cut it. The magnets serve to hold the table in place.
                            -Paul

Comment

• Thom2
                              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Stevens, PA, USA.
                              • Craftsman 22124

I have 3 of the wooden handled 'bench brushes' around my shop, I drilled holes in the backs and gorilla glued (2) 1/4" magnets in each of them. Now they stay at each station without having to search for a hook to hang them on.

This was my first experience adding seperate drops into the dust collection system that I had previously. (aka a broom and dustpan )
                              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

Working...