• Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Softwood quality questions

Hi,

After spending a few hours trying to research this over the last week, it suddenly occured to me to tap the vast collective knowledge here. These may or may not be dumb questions but the answers would be very helpful.

One of my BTKs is still in Maryland, one is still in Milwaukee, and I'm in a small town in northern Wisconsin. Last week I decided to make some utility shelves but my truck wouldn't start to drive over to the town's building supply place. It's one of a three-unit local chain.

It seemed silly to walk over there to order for delivery, so I ordered over the phone: 24 8 ft. two x fours, 2 8 ft. 2 x 2s and about 75 ft. of 1" x 10" #2 pine, cut into 24 shelves (since otherwise I would have had to use my jigsaw, little bandsaw or 8" mitre saw, I didn't mind paying the cutting fee at all). I paid for it over the phone and left the front porch door open for them to deliver.

Now, I got spoiled when I lived near the Maine/Canadian border, where 2 x 4s were always clearer than the select boards usually available in Maryland (and generally the best looking pine I've ever seen of any grade, thickness, width, intended purpose etc.). But I knew not to expect anything like those.

However, what they delivered looks dreadful to me, and I want to know what's reasonable, what if anything is worth complaining about, etc.

At least five or six of the 24 2 x 4s are unusable at full length, even if they don't take them back, because of small splits at the end; resiny angles that are several feet long on the edges (i.e, instead of a rectangular 2 x 4 one corner is missing for several feet, in a couple of cases more than an inch into the width for three or four feet); holes on the long edges where knots have fallen out; and what looks like pretty substantial checking.

The edges of the cut boards are almost fringed. Most seem square across--but although the cuts across the end grain are smooth the ends of the sides look chewed (maybe frayed is a better word.) Several of the shelves also have long resiny angles--so that instead of the edge of the long side being 3/4" thick it wedges down to a couple of millimeters. Some boards have knot holes (not just knots, the holes with no knots) on the edges, several have knots that are cracked all the way through with big enough gaps for a screwdriver blade to go through to the other side, and there are a couple of places where small knots had fallen out, leaving holes.

I know that #2 won't win beauty contests (and except for those gorgeous examples in Maine, 2 x 4s usually don't, either), , but I don't know what's supposed to be ok and what's not.

I'm not sure whether this is just the way state grading goes here, or whether it's because I bought it over the phone or whether it's because I'm female, or all of those or none of those.

I don't want to look like an idiot by complaining, but I also don't want to be an idiot if I should complain and don't.

Regardless of any store-customer issues, I wouldn't trust any of the studs if I were doing construction, though that might be over-reacting.

So I'd appreciate any input (and, of course, positive thoughts about getting at least one of my BTKs here so I can use all the wide, thick oak boards that were lying around the place when I got here--they are amazing. I just assumed they were dirty old construction 2 x 8s and wider until I tried to pick the first one up to haul it out. A couple of them are more than 15" wide and 10 or 12 ft. long, so maybe things all even out.)
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Those resiny wedges are called wanes.
    I'd take them back.
    If you're buying a large quantity for doing studs while framing a house, some like that should be acceptable but OTOH you're paying singles pricing for wood then you should get decent pieces at least.
    I think its what you get for letting them pick the pieces. A employee who doesn't care will just pcik them up off the top, usually where the discards go. You have to dig for the better ones, usually. I would not buy
    small qtys of pine without handpicking them myself.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Those resiny wedges are called wanes....I would not buy
      small qtys of pine without handpicking them myself.
      I thought about that, but had ruled it out because of the wood magazine articles I came across while researching this that seemed to indicate that it was bad form to cherrypick softwood construction lumber, and that a reputable place will not load unusable wood.

My problem wasn't so much that the quality varied--I agree that's what I'd get for not choosing, if choosing is allowed--but that some just seem so awful that I couldn't believe they'd actually be for sale. Kind of like delivering cracked glass to put in a window.

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

It may well be bad form, but until everyone else stops doing it you're kind of SOL if you don't. I would guess that those beauties were accumulating for weeks/months until they had the chance to send them to a customer who ordered sight unseen.

The good news is that they should have no problem letting you return/exchange them, but you're out the delivery charge and your time either way.

Kristofor.

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

They didn't charge for the delivery, it's just a few blocks away.

One of the things contributing to the delicacy of the situation, believe it or not, is the extreme honesty and fairness of people and businesses in the region. There's absolutely no doubt they'll adjust, but I wanted to know what was reasonable on my part before I get into it with them.

It's also the quality control aspect that is hard to believe. I can't figure out how they got cross cuts of the boards relatively smooth but achieved the grated effect--in some cases as far as half an inch in--on the long face next to the cut. They look like a hunk of cheese that's being grated.

I really appreciate the input, thanks.

Comment

Working...