Which BS blade width best smoothest cut?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Which BS blade width best smoothest cut?

I am about to replace the blade on my little bench top Ryobi 9" BS and was wondering if one blade width blade would make a smoother cute overall then another width? Is there an answer for that?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm no band saw expert, but I think the simple answer to this is that it's the blade's pitch (number of teeth per inch) that most affects smoothness of cut. More teeth, smoother cut. Fewer teeth, rougher cut.

But "simple answer" because if you try to use a really fine-pitch blade on a thick workpiece, the close spacing of the teeth means the gullets won't be large enough to efficiently carry all the sawdust out of the kerf, and the blade will overheat, and the teeth will get dull, and it will cut more raggedly as a result. A narrower blade will also have a tendency to twist more, which could again make the cut rougher.

A wider blade is wider mainly because it has to be: it's usually supporting teeth that are larger and spaced farther apart; if the blade were not wider, the gullets couldn't be deep enough to carry the sawdust out of the kerf. A wider blade resists twisting more but must cut a larger radius when doing a curved cut. The unfortunate side effect of the wider tooth spacing is a rougher cut ... think about the difference between a dovetail saw and a chain saw. Same principle.
    Last edited by LarryG; 01-10-2007, 09:35 AM.
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

good analysis, Larry.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

WOW! good answer Larry. Thanks. So I shall have to give this a little more thought then. I really don't use the saw for much of anything just general cutting on 3/4' or so thick material so probably a 3/8" would do me fine and that's ( I believe ) is what I currently have on there. Course I might try a 3/4" just to see how that preforms. Anyway, thanks for an excellent reply.

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

I dont think you will be able to use a 3/4" blade. I have a 14" bandsaw and everyone says not to go above 1/2" on a saw that small. So there is no way a 9" BS could use a 3/4" blade. I doubt the saw would accept it. My saw says max of 3/4"
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• trash man
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2004
            • Jefferson, wi, USA.
            • bt3100

I need of blade 2

This is a timely post I to have the bs901 bandsaw and am in need of a new blade or 2. I recieved a scrollsaw for christmass and am now using the bandsaw to trim up small stuff. The blade is 59.5 I think ? What is a good scorce for good small blades ?

Thanks Trash man.
            Wayne

P.S. This is the best and nicest place on the web !!
            If it aint broke dont fix it.

Comment

• Cheeky
              • Nov 2006
              • westchester cty, new york
              • Ridgid TS2400LS

time and time again, i hear nothing but rave reviews about the Timber Wolf blades are the best bs bands (like Forrest is to TS and MS blades).

does anybody have any experience with these?
              http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
              Pete

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cheeky
                time and time again, i hear nothing but rave reviews about the Timber Wolf blades are the best bs bands (like Forrest is to TS and MS blades).

does anybody have any experience with these?
                http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
                Suffolk machinery is a timberwolf supplier.

isn't "time and time again, i hear nothing but rave reviews about the Timber Wolf blades are the best bs bands"

the answer to your question "does anybody have any experience with these?"
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

I was actually thinking about a Timberline blade myself if for no other reason then they're supposed to require less tenison then other blades. Currently I have to apply the maximum turns to get mine tight enough and thought less pressure might be better on the machine and blade.

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I put Timberwolves on my Craftsman 10" bandsaw and they ran great with the little tension I could give them and let me cut some pretty agressive wood up to my throat depth, including fresh cut wet Cherry. I also went with them when I upgraded to my 14" Ridgid with riser and have been happy with the Timberwolf blades they suggested. If you go with them, make sure you use the new customer special to buy 2 get 1 or buy 3 get 1, if it is still going on.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning ICM..

I won't add much as Larry nailed it early, but.. thought I would respond to your possibly trying the 3/4" blade just to see. Putting a 3/4" on your 9" BS would be the equilavent of asking a 4 cylinder Chevy S10 to pull a 40' trailer built to be pulled by a "Mack" or "Peterbilt" tractor. I doubt you have enough tire size to mount it to start with.

You are using a 3/8" currently. You might even go down to a 1/4" 6 tpi hook or a 3/16" 4 tpi hook which I run on my Jet 12" and reserve the 3/4" for my Steel City 18" for ripping and re-sawing. I think you will find that the saw will seem to pick up a tad of power if you do so. Bandsaws are temperamental. You need to mate them with the perfect partner (blade-saw match) to get the maximum they were designed and understand each saw's limitations.

Regards...

Comment

• sacherjj
                        Not Your Average Joe
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

For the most extreme cuts on my 10", I used a 3/8" 4 TPI Timberwolf. I wouldn't go much larger than that. It was about all mine could handle and still perform.
                        Joe Sacher

Comment

• Cheeky
                          • Nov 2006
                          • westchester cty, new york
                          • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by sacherjj
                          If you go with them, make sure you use the new customer special to buy 2 get 1 or buy 3 get 1, if it is still going on.
                          thanks for the great info!
                          Pete

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Well it pays to ask. Thanks for informing me about 3/4" being too big. Oh well. Live and learn. So thanks. I don't know what I'd have done with a 59.5"x 3/4" BS blade. Well I actually measured the blade and if you measure from the back of the blade to the front of the teeth then I have a 1/4" blade right now. And now looking at the manual it states it can take up to a 3/8" blade. They call the 1/4" a general purpose blade so maybe that's what I should stick with. I wonder how the bigger size would perform though? Oh and thanks for the tip about maybe getting an extra blade. I'll sure ask.

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Actually, many 14" bandsaws can't adequately tension a 3/4" blade, so smaller ones would have a really difficult time. You are just bending that blade around too small of a circle. Timberwolf recommends a 1/2" max for 14" saws. I use Timberwolf blades, and they work well. I am thinking to try a woodslicer though, for resawing veneers.

I'd say Timberwolf is a great bang for the buck. btw, there's a welding facility here in Pittsburgh, so I just drive there and pick them up.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...