X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

help with crown molding

Howdy fellas. Need some help with some crown molding. Is it possible to put crown molding where the cealing has been vaulted and the wall and cealing are not at 90 degress to each other below is a sketch of one of the walls:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	789790

The black is the shape of a side and end wall and the red is where I would like run the molding. None of the angles are even close to 90 degrees except where walls meet each other. I have been searching google for crown and vaulted cealing, but have been comming up with resutlts where the cealing is v shaped and I have more of a "barn" shaped cealing. Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Riley
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer
  • dkhoward
    • Dec 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • bt3000

patience and a good angle transfer tool. . . .
    Dennis K Howard
    www.geocities.com/dennishoward
    "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

I dont think the crown molding should go where your red line is...because there is a flat ceiling in the shape of a rectangle I would guess. If you are putting the crown molding at top of the flat side wall why are you going to go up along the end wall? Have you thought about keeping it flat and on the exposed wall just capping it off? Hard to tell by your picture but you will be puting crown molding at two levels right? 8 feet on the side walls and whatever the height is for the end walls? The worst thing about this method is the angle from wall to ceiling is going to require either a different angle or two different sizes of crown molding because if you are going to close a 90 degree angle off with CM and you have it at 45 degrees what happens when you get to the vaulted part?
      email ask this old house....maybe Tom Silva will come help you put it up...
      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

check this video out around 16 minutes and on, see if it helps (I used it for my basic primer into crown moulding, but he covers more diverse sections).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31152727602693

edit: cathedral ceilings are @ 17:50, but pay attention to his stairways, etc. for unconventional transitions...you can do anything after watching this guy.
        Last edited by Cheeky; 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM.
        Pete

Comment

• jAngiel
          • Oct 2003
          • Ryobi BT3100

If I read your drawing correctly the short answer is YES. You can put crown up and it can look classy. That is the shape of the ceiling in my dining room and we have crown installed.

I think someone once called it a coffin ceiling.

Oh yeah and the one thing that will make it easier and a success...
          Corner blocks, I think in this case they are required where the side wall meets the end wall (where it goes from horizontal to sloping up)
          Last edited by jAngiel; 12-28-2006, 11:00 PM.
          James

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

On cathedrals and vaulted runs, I've made wedges for the miter saw to back up, or front up the moulding to cut the miter on the moulding as it stands or positioned to a verticle surface. I dont recommend this method, as it is one that does not entirely immobilize the moulding. If the moulding can be clamped to the saw in proper position, then it works pretty good.

Otherwise as in this link, deriving the angles for the miter, and the bevel will allow the moulding to be cut flat to the bed of the miter saw. Here's a few links that may help.
            http://www.josephfusco.org/Articles/...ownscript.html
            http://www.mountainmoulding.com/inde...%23RequestList

This link would apply more to vaulted and cathedral:
            http://www.compoundmiter.com/cathedral_ceiling.html

A THING OF BEAUTY IS A JOY FOREVER - John Keats

Comment

• thestinker
              • Oct 2005
              • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

Ah-ha!!!

Cabinetman and cheeky to the rescue!!!! Of course onedash had a good idea with getting Tom Sylva to do it, but they don't seem tomake it down to texas all that often on the show, but that would be real cool. jAngiel, I had thought of corner blocks but I had used them in the living room, dining room and soon to be den. I was wanting a different look if possible, but haden't ruled them out yet. Cabinetman- great links!!! I had thought about using extra trim on the tob and bottom as in the one link, and I might still do that. And the video was awesome cheeky! Some of his tips I dom but some seemed so obvious that I couldn't believe I wasn't using them already!! This will prabably be the last room I do the crown in, but I like to start planing early. I already know how I am going to do it in the other rooms and not having ideas for this one was killing me.
              Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

• should_have
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • Baltimore, MD
                • BT3100

Sorry, hate to hijack this thread.

I watch said video, and have a question. How do I make said backing Blocks? What is the safest/easiest way to rip 2x2 @ a 45 degree angle on BT3100?

Comment

• greencat
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Grand Haven Mi

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to put in my sacrificial fence and move the fence close to the 45 degree blade.
                  Thanks again,
                  Mike

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I like to make 45 degree rips with the fence on the left side of the blade. It also works better, for me, to rip the 45 degrees on a wider piece, say a 2x4, and then do a 90 degree rip to remove the beveled piece I am after. Most crown does not go at 45 degrees to the wall or ceiling but you get the idea.

Jim

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Vancouver, Canada
                      • bt3100 (of course!)

Originally posted by should_have
                      Sorry, hate to hijack this thread.

I watch said video, and have a question. How do I make said backing Blocks? What is the safest/easiest way to rip 2x2 @ a 45 degree angle on BT3100?
                      same question here, I just bought a bt3100 yesterday and this will be the first job I do with it and I could sure use some suggestions...

Wouldn't ripping a 2x4 cause you to end up with a 2x2 "scrap" piece after the first two rips?

Comment

• Navycraig
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2006

I tried to watch the video, matter of fact...I did watch it once a couple of weeks ago, but now they only show a minute of it before they cut you off and want you to purchase the thing. Couple of weeks ago I saw the entire thing for free.

Comment

• wdreamsmaycome
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Vancouver, Canada
                          • bt3100 (of course!)

yeah, I wonder if they made a mistake and it was supposed to be for-pay from the beginning or not... not sure if it's worth 20 bucks personally, as IMHO it glossed over quite a few things (like the blocks, for example) that I'd have expected would be covered.

Comment

Working...