• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Freud Diable 80T blade any good?

I saw this blade at BORG and it had a mail-in rebate for a 7 1/2" blade. Only one left so I stuck it to the back.

Is this blade any good? I think it was about $49.

Also, some post recommend a negative hook blade for cross-cutting. I didn't see any at BORG. Are these not carried by BORG or Lowes or do I have to go online to get one.

TIA
    Ken
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lago
    I saw this blade at BORG and it had a mail-in rebate for a 7 1/2" blade. Only one left so I stuck it to the back.

Is this blade any good? I think it was about $49.

Also, some post recommend a negative hook blade for cross-cutting. I didn't see any at BORG. Are these not carried by BORG or Lowes or do I have to go online to get one.

TIA
    Ken
    negative hook blades for crosscutting really refers to a miter saw, or compound miter saw. Keeps the wood from lifting.
    No real advantage to neg hook on a table saw.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

I have this blade on my miter saw. It's much better than the stock steel Craftsman I had. It probably isn't close to top-of-the-line, however.

Don't have the 7 1/2 inch blade yet....

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you need the 7-1/4" blade, then I'd say it was a good deal.

There aren't many Freud blades that aren't competitive at their price ranges. If you don't need the rebate blade, then I'd think the Freud LU74R010 from their Industrial line, or the DeWalt DW3218TK for ~ $55 shipped from Amazon might be a slightly better performers, but my guess is that you'll be pleased with the Diablo.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I am looking for a blade for my CMS. I have been using a combination blade but thinking about one specific for a CMS.

Ken

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by lago
            I am looking for a blade for my CMS. I have been using a combination blade but thinking about one specific for a CMS.

Ken

A blade with a low to negative hook angle is best for a CMS. I can't find any info on the hook of the Diablo blade but it appears to be upwards of maybe 10 degrees...which may not be optimum, but should still be ok. You'll just need to use care that the piece is well secured when cutting so the blade doesn't "grab". The Diablo 80T should have a lower hook than a combo blade.

Freud's LU91R010 is one of their better recommended CMS blades, which will run ~ the same price as the Diablo, but without the rebate offer. So it still boils down to the value of the 7-1/4" blade to you.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ejs1097
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I think that's the deal I got about 2 years ago. I have a 12" 80t diablo on my CMS. I bought it at BORG with the free 7 1/2 mail in rebate.

I cuts like a dream, still does. It makes super clean smooth cross cuts in every wood that I put it through, including lots of maple and other hardwood.

The 7 1/2 blade is nice as well. I don't use my 7 1/2 cicular saw much anymore but the blade cuts the best of any I've used in the past.
              Eric
              Be Kind Online

Comment

Working...