• Show
Clear All
  • bigdaddyjohn
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Fort Wayne, IN.
    • Jet 10" Contractor

zctp

Edited this message because it sounded kind of stupid. I want to make a zctp. Not sure what material thickness to use. Not by the saw (bt3100) so I can't measure. Would like to pick up a piece of stock material that will fit. Don't have access to a planer yet, hopefully for Christmas....

Thanks,
    bigdaddyjohn
    Last edited by bigdaddyjohn; 11-26-2006, 07:52 PM.
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I got a couple sheets of UHMW-PE, about 1/4" thick. The TP size is roughly 14"x3" - you'll want slightly longer than 14 for a snug fit.

After cutting up the UHMW to size, I routed the rabbets for edges and recesses for those retaining screws in the back. Then, drilled and countersunk the mounting holes. All in all, made a batch of 8 ZCTPs in one go. They seem to work real well, and ZCTP is quite rigid.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I use 1/2" baltic birch plywood. I'd probably use 1/2" thickness if I was using solid stock, too. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any reason you couldn't use 3/4" thick stock if that's all you have around, and don't have a planer yet.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by bigdaddyjohn
        Edited this message because it sounded kind of stupid. I want to make a zctp. Not sure what material thickness to use. Not by the saw (bt3100) so I can't measure. Would like to pick up a piece of stock material that will fit. Don't have access to a planer yet, hopefully for Christmas....

Thanks,
        bigdaddyjohn
        Read the FAQ linked at the bottom of my signature line.
        There's been a multitude of materials used, from plastics and wood, mostly because they are easy to machine and stiff enough.
        You'll probably want someting 1/4 to 3/8 or maybe 1/2" thick and you need to be able to rabbet the edges to the right thickness using a router, or a dado blade or multiple passes of the standard TS blade if you have none of the above.
        If you go with 1/2" thick material beware of catching the blade when you go to cut the blade slot, read the warnings in the FAQ.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2006, 01:29 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

I made mine from one in the FAQ. I want to say they were .5 in poplar stock with rabbits milled in the edges to make it the same height as the table.
          Riley
          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

Working...