X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

In-Lay Glass?

I have a small wooden box(MDF actually). I want to in-lay some glass in small(1/2"-1") cut out circles(think of it looking like a block of swiss cheese). I want to make it so you can see the glass from the outside but the inside still maintains its smooth walls. How do I do that?

I'm thinking that I need to create a lip around the inside of each circle to glue the glass in but I'm not to sure how to go about doing that and if I need any specific tools.

I am good with the glass, cutting it and preparing it, I just need to know how to get the stuff to fit into the sides of the box flush.

Thanks like always for any and all help!
    Last edited by mackmack; 11-12-2006, 09:11 AM.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Before you assemble the box, cut the holes. Then use a rabetting bit around the holes. This will give the ledge for the glass.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• gjat
      • Nov 2005
      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
      • BT3100

I'm lazier.
      I'd use 2 different sized forstner bits on the drill press. To keep the holes aligned, make an alignment jig to clamp in place. Or clamp, drill the smaller, change the bit to larger, drill.

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gjat
        I'm lazier.
        I'd use 2 different sized forstner bits on the drill press. To keep the holes aligned, make an alignment jig to clamp in place. Or clamp, drill the smaller, change the bit to larger, drill.
        IF you're going to go that route, it's better to dtill the larger hole first. That way you'll still have the centering mark to align to when you go to drill through with the smaller bit.
        -Joe

Comment

• niki
          • Nov 2006
          • Poland
          • EB PK255

I think that it will be very difficult to cut circles of ½”~1” glass. If you can or have them or you can order them, go ahead with one of the above methods.

If you cannot, I would cut (rout) a recess at the center of the board at the depth of the glass thickness, leaving ¼~1/2” at the edges, than drill the holes and glue a full piece of glass with CA (super glue).

niki

Comment

• gjat
            • Nov 2005
            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
            • BT3100

Good point, nikki. I like your style. Practical and efficient.

Gave me an idea to put some round veneer in-lays into some small boxes I'm making. How can I cut a number round veneer pieces that will fit exactly into the the whole. No, I do not own a router template kit.

Comment

Working...