X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Cutting Squares??

I want to try to cut some squares(within a piece) in 1/2" MDF. Is there any way to do that other then by hand with a router or jigsaw? I want to cut the same square and size over and over again.

I'm assuming this is just something you have to do by hand.

The squares don't need to be large(2" wide or so). I know I can obviously cut holes quickly with the proper drill bit but is there anything I can do or use to make cutting squares easier and more consistent?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mackmack; 11-12-2006, 09:04 AM.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

If I'm reading you right, you want the square holes, not the pieces. Quickest way would be to use a plunge router with a guide bushing to follow a template. You would still have to clean up the corners.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

once again you leave a lot of detail out...
      how many is over and over again? 10, 100, 1000?
      Does the square need to be finished nicely - clean edges or will the wobble of hand cut be OK?

I will assume 100 or more
      and you need a nice neat clean hole. And your time is valuable.
      I'd try this and see if it were sufficient:

set up a mortiser with stop blocks clamped to it's table to place a 3/8" mortising bit squarely in one corner. Mortise the hole, repeat on all 100 pieces, flip and do the other side, 100 times (assuming is symmetrcical).

Set up the other corners, mortise 100 and then flip and do the other side/opposite mortise 100 times.

(note doing this with setup blocks removes the need to mark 100 items, just need to mark the 1st one you use to setup with).

Then put a 1/4 " spiral upcut bit in the router in the router table with a fence. set the table so you place the workpiece over one of the mortised holes, kissing the edge of the hole so that when you slide the piece along the fence, it cuts one edge of the final square. Place top blocks front and rear so when you get to the hole at the opposite end you don't overrun and ding the adjoining edge with the router bit.
      You'll have to limit the depth of each pass to probably less than or equal 1/4" or you'll end up breaking bits. That means 100 passes at 1/4", and then another 100 passes at 1/3" cut depth.
      Then you can set up for a second side... and repeat. If the piece is at all symmetric, you might save one setup simply by flipping the workpiece over as i suggested for the mortiser setup.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

You'd need to be more specific - how large is the piece, are holes arranged in a row, how important is resulting piece strength (i.e. can it be ripped down along hole centers, notched, and glued back togeather)

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Note- if the corners don't have to be absolutely square, e.g. can have a 1/8" radius, then you can save a lot of work squaring up the corners,
          and it may actually look better.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...