• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Interesting topic:

Unless you're talking about parallel-jaw bar clamps, pipe clamps are just fine. I had a bunch of Bessey's and sold them off in favor of pipe clamps. You can buy a ton of pipe clamps for what one bessey, jorgy, or gross-stabil costs. The pluses of the pipe clamps are:1.) Easier storage and handling (except for item 3 below) 2.)more flexible, and 3.)cheaper so I can have more clamps and lengths. The parallel-jaw clamps offer 1.) flat surface to layup boards on, 2.) larger/deeper jaws, and 3.) clutch and screw are on the same end. This last is the feature I miss the most on the besseys when gluing up longer carcasses because I have to adjust the clutch on one end of the pipe clamp and screw on the other, kinda awkward while you're trying to hold things together.

If I were going to buy any more pj clamps they'd be 2' or shorter.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

The aluminum clamps from HF are a great value and are very rigid. Having said that I pretty much use parallel clamps (K-body style Besseys).

LarryG, I will co-author the FAQ with you if you like. I have a couple good articles to draw from and a good bit of time on my hands right now.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by jackellis
        I'm far from an expert but a fellow I heard talk at this weekend's woodworking show in San Mateo, California advised against overtightening clamps because it's not particularly helpful. He said that according to one of the glue manufacturers, you only needed about 150 PSI of clamping pressure, which means the number of clamps is probably more important (pressure distribution) than how tight you can make them. On that basis, I don't think it matters as long as the tension load is along the length of the clamp and you limit yourself to firm pressure. I don't go more than comfortably hand tight on mine and so far, so good.
        I have a question about that number of clamps thing, and I think it would be a interesting question for the faq, you all are working on.

Do you really need numbers of clamps, or can you use cauls, with less clamps?

Thanks
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Larry,

Pretty much any F-clamp gets a little whippy beyond 18" unless you go heavy-duty, like the Jorgy's or Wiltons. Once up to that price range, you may as well go parallel-jaw. I've got a dozen 30" and 36" Records that stay on the rack.

One advantage of a rectangular bar or i-beam is that they resist bending much better than round pipes. That said, 3/4" and even 1/2" pipe clamps will give all the pressure you'll ever need, and more, to close a properly-cut joint. You can buy 3/4" Pittsburgh pipe clamps at HF for $3.50 a piece at HF. They have the $8 version with stand, but I see no advantage to them. $1 per foot for black pipe, $1 four 3/4" couplings, a pipe cutter and threader, and you're set. Just watch the HF clamps, I bought a pair with jaws that were badly out of square (they replaced).

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Jeffrey, I think it'd be great for the two of us to collaborate on a clamp FAQ. As I said, I can't get to it immediately, but can soon. I'll send you a PM within a few days so we can start kicking around ideas.
            Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
              Jeffrey, I think it'd be great for the two of us to collaborate on a clamp FAQ. As I said, I can't get to it immediately, but can soon. I'll send you a PM within a few days so we can start kicking around ideas.
              for starters, the thing to do is to write a list of questions - it can be sort of a paraphrase of questions we see here frequently, then group them and combine ones that perhaps use different phraseology but are really the same question.

A start might be:

WHy do I need clamps?
              How many clamps do I need?
              Whats the Different kinds of clamps? AND what's the difference between... Clamps?
              How do I store my clamps
              Are HF clamps any good
              What are sources of cheap clamps
              What are cauls and how do I use them/How do I clamp flat panels?
              (each of the following should have an illustration and price range and suggested manufacturer's names, and description of when to use)
              What are F-clamps
              What are Miter clamps
              What are pipe clamps
              What are handscrew clamps
              WHat are parallel jaw clamps
              What are C-clamps
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

A lot depends on what the piece is that you are trying to clamp.

I have a sizable collection of HF clamps. Aluminum bar clamps from 18" to 60", 'F' body clamps from 6" to 36", several 3/4" pipe clamps, and one set of the deep throat pipe clamps. Additionally, I have a some Jorgy F bodies, a few deep throat F body types made by Irwin, 2 different frame/band clamps, and an assortment of both quick-grip types, hand screw clamps, and spring clamps. All serve different purposes.

I will dissent on the quality of the HF F body clamps. Yes, they are lighter than the name brands and will bow under pressure, but if you need that much pressure, the joint is not tight enough to start with.

The aluminum bar clamps are my go-to clamps when the jaws don't have to be deep. Just because they adjust easily and the light weight makes them easier to handle. Much easier to move a glue-up out of the way to dry without 30 or 40 pounds of steel added.

Pipe clamps give you superior pressure but are heavy. HF sells 2 types. One has a set of spring loaded plates to lock the movable jaw into place. The other has a spring loaded lever on the top side of the jaw. Go with the plate style. Easier to adjust and much more hloding power when you have them set.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Few More Questions

How close / far away do I need to put clamps?
                  How do I clamp a piece that is angled?
                  How do I clamp an irregular piece?
                  How do I know I have it clamped tight enough? Too Tight?
                  Example on the best way to clamp various joints.
                  Brief troubleshooting, like why is my clamp slipping with little pressure, or when I use black pipes it leaves marks, why? Why is my board bowed, how did I clamp it wrong.

Just a few thoughts.
                  Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    for starters, the thing to do is to write a list of questions - it can be sort of a paraphrase of questions we see here frequently, then group them and combine ones that perhaps use different phraseology but are really the same question.

A start might be:

WHy do I need clamps?
                    How many clamps do I need?
                    Whats the Different kinds of clamps? AND what's the difference between... Clamps?
                    How do I store my clamps
                    Are HF clamps any good
                    What are sources of cheap clamps
                    What are cauls and how do I use them/How do I clamp flat panels?
                    (each of the following should have an illustration and price range and suggested manufacturer's names, and description of when to use)
                    What are F-clamps
                    What are Miter clamps
                    What are pipe clamps
                    What are handscrew clamps
                    WHat are parallel jaw clamps
                    What are C-clamps

I've got a little something thrown together to explain the f, pipe, steel bar, paralle jaw, alumuminum bar which seems to generate the most quesitons right now. Should I just post it in a normal post? Should admin sticky?

Comment

• jdschulteis
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

On Harbor Freight Clamps . . .

Lots of good info in this thread. Throwing in my opinion of HF clamps:

I would also not go past 18" on the F-style clamps, because the bars tend to flex. I just bought some of the 6" and 12" ones as they are currently on sale.

I would go with the 3/4" pipe clamps over 1/2" and I'll second Pappy on the ones with the plates, not the lever.

I wouldn't buy HF clamps except at a store. Test them out by running the screw through its full range--I've had both aluminum bar and pipe clamps from HF that had balky threads. Also make sure the pipe clamps run square (it's a little hard to explain in words, but as you turn the screw, the part that carries the jaw along the pipe needs to travel in a straight line, not wobble up and down).

Personally I think if I buy any more pipe clamps I'll pony up for more Ponies. If I wait for a "% off everything that fits in the bag" sale at Menard's they're not that much more expensive than Harbor Freight.
                      Last edited by jdschulteis; 11-03-2006, 11:37 PM.
                      Jerry

Comment

• jdschulteis
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Irwin Pipe Clamps--Clutch On Both Ends

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                        Interesting topic:

Unless you're talking about parallel-jaw bar clamps, pipe clamps are just fine. I had a bunch of Bessey's and sold them off in favor of pipe clamps. You can buy a ton of pipe clamps for what one bessey, jorgy, or gross-stabil costs. The pluses of the pipe clamps are:1.) Easier storage and handling (except for item 3 below) 2.)more flexible, and 3.)cheaper so I can have more clamps and lengths. The parallel-jaw clamps offer 1.) flat surface to layup boards on, 2.) larger/deeper jaws, and 3.) clutch and screw are on the same end. This last is the feature I miss the most on the besseys when gluing up longer carcasses because I have to adjust the clutch on one end of the pipe clamp and screw on the other, kinda awkward while you're trying to hold things together.

If I were going to buy any more pj clamps they'd be 2' or shorter.
                        If you like the clutch and screw on the same end, I just found out today that Irwin makes pipe clamps with clutch plates on both ends, which also means no need to thread the pipe: http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-224134-4.../dp/B0000CCXVO
                        Last edited by jdschulteis; 11-03-2006, 11:40 PM.
                        Jerry

Comment

• thestinker
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

One huge advantage for me is I have a tap and dye set so I can cut and thread my own pipe for pipe clamps.
                          Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

Comment

Working...