• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

As promised - loose M&T video

As I promised in another thread, here is a link to a video I did today on how to cut a loose mortise and tenon joint. For brevity I only cut one mortise in the video. The only important things to keep in mind when cutting the 2nd mortise is that you layout the correct size (duh), and that you reference the same face toward the router edge guide. That way your joint will be flush when fit.

Note: I am currently switching dns servers, so this link will work for now, but might be down in the next couple of days. I'll post again if this happens.

http://swordandspiritsoftware.com.di...om/m&t-web.wmv
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Great little video. Very well done.

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Keith

Good video, very smooth procedure. You should be making videos. I vote you replace David Marks. Looks like a good fit, didn't see any chisel work. Videos like this are great.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Awesome, Keith! Now that i have a plunge router I may have to trash my mortising machine.

Thanks for the tutorial.

JR
        JR

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Keith,

Great job on this, the initial video. LOL.

Seriously, you did a great job on this but I think some additions would be great, particularly set up. It appears that you use an edge guide on your plunge router, versus setting up a jig and bushing. I think it would be interesting to see your approach. A video on how to measure the joints and how to set up the machinary would be great for beginners.

JR, no need to trash the mortising machine. You can make square loose tenons as well. The mortising machine would elimate jigs needed to create mortise and using flat, square stock for tenons would be very easy with a planner or sander.
          Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 10-29-2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• rickd
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Great vid, Keith! I now have a new use for my plunge router!
            rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

Great video Keith. Thanks for doing it for us. Well it looks easy enough but then that may be because you were doing it and not myself. Thanks again for going to the trouble of doing it. Well worth it.
              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• jonathan55
                Established Member
                • Jun 2005
                • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
                • BT3100

Thanks, I get a "service unavailable" page when I click on the link.

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

Bummer! it's not working anymore.
                  May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• bigfoot
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2006

Good movie, almost as good as the book
                    The voices made me do it.

Comment

• jonathan55
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
                      • BT3100

It seems to be working again on Sunday morning! Thanks! Good work!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Keith,

Excellent video, one question:

Do you find that plunging seperate holes and then cleaning them us, as per video, a better approch than incremental plunge and move steps to create the mortise.

BTW, Lee Valley sells loose tenon stock in various sizes. They're made of a compressed wood material (Something like a biscuit ), which will avoid the entire thickness planning and roundover steps. Have you ever used them?

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Sorry for the issues with accessing this video. It's going to be flakey for the next few days as I am currently moving web servers. I'll repost once all of this work has been finished off.

Bruce, yeah, I've done it both ways, and the overlapping plunge technique makes for an easier and better mortise. The reason is that as you are gliding the router along the edge, it's easy to waver, and any little bit will create a bad mortise. I find that the multi-plunge approach makes a great mortise every time, without any additional jigs. And when you clean it out, there is very little stress on the cutter, making it all nice and easy.

I havn't used Lee Valley's stock, it sounds interesting. I've always taken the approach that you should use stock of the same type of wood if possible. It'll move in a similar way.

Concerning setup...in this video I used a B&D workmate, clamped the board in the vise even with the top, and used an edge guide to follow the layout lines. The layout lines were drawn on using an Incra ruler, very easy to do. Then I used my edge guide's microadjuster to get the cutter centered in the layout. It's important to note that it's not essential that you are perfectly centered so long as your 2 pieces face the same direction when clamped in. The reason for this is that the mortises will be off by the same amount, and thus line up during assembly. Another advantage to loose tenon, IMO.

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Perhaps I'll try and do more of these in the future.
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• ChrisD
                            • Dec 2004
                            • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Hey, nice job, Keith! I like the natural light effect.
                            The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

I agree with the other comments - nice job. I have plunged and pulled in steps but I often did not get a perfect mortise either. Your technique is certainly worth a try. Router mortises can easily be cleaner than ones made with mortising machines (but the reduced setup time and square corners of the mortising machine are advantages).

Woodsmith has a .pdf where they show a different alignment method - have you tried it? You make a flat plate of plywood or mdf with an oversized opening that is your mortise dimensions plus the distance from the outer edge of your bit to the template guide you also have on the router. I think it would be a little tough to get the inner opening of the jig exactly right (best way I have found is to rip a piece to size on the BT3100 and then glue it between two other pieces) but the advantage is you are not dependant on the edge guide. I use similar jigs for hinge mortiseing so it is also on my list of things to try.

Jim

Comment

Working...