• Show
Clear All
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

Best doweling jig?

I am wanting to buy one of these jigs so I'd have something other then just my pocket hole jig for various projects but not sure which is the best. There seems to be 4 easily available out there but one is the Dowel Max , I believe it's called, but seems way too expensive for the few times I'll use one so really narrows it down to 3. All three can be purchased at Rockler or Woodcrafters and are called Dowel Pro Jig, Dow'l Simp'l jig and the self-centering doweling jig. The Dow'l Simp'l jig seems like it would do more since it'll do edge to surface whereas the others can't but then the other two would probably be more accurate on edge to edge. All opinions and comments welcome. Hopefully I won't have to have two of the three. I guess the Dowel Max doesn't even do edge to surface either or does it?
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

There's also the beadlock loose mortise and tenon jig, which will also do dowels, both 3/8" and 1/2". I actually have this jig and have used it a couple of times, but not a ton. I have found loose mortise and tenon with a router is incredibly easy to do, so when I need a strong joint that won't show, I go that route often (pun only slightly intended). Biscuits and pocket screws fill other needs.

When I do dowel however, I usually make my own dowelling jig for the specific purpose. I did a double dowel face frame, and made a jig that would align perfectly with the face frame material, and allowed me to drill both holes without moving it.

I oft times do reinforced rabbet joint drawers, and make a dowelling jig for each differently sized drawer. Makes it really easy to bang out quite a few. These jigs are simply constructed from a hardwood (rock maple, oak), and some 1/4 ply. Cut on the drill press.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• rickd
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Dowel Max jig and can't recommend it highly enough even given the relatively high cost. The Dowel Max produces absolutely perfect-fit joints using an extremely simple, fast and accurate alignment system that requires no measuring. It is simply fantastic.

I tried 3 or 4 other doweling jigs before I finally gave in and bought the Dowel Max. All told, I probably wasted about $100 on jigs that were pretty much useless. I too was looking for something cheaper than the Dowel Max.

I've only read positive reviews about the Dowel Max from anyone who has owned one. This jig allows me to use dowels much more than I normally would and to not sacrifice strength in the process.
      rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• Rob R
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • West, Michigan.

iv'e got a dowel jig from Task pro center usa.

the model is 07300 it has 4 holes and 6 bushings that screw in. it is self centering and has the holes spaced so you can attach the jig once and drill a couple of the same size holes at either 3/4 2 3/4 1 1/4 2 inches apart. i used it to drill all the holes for my sons crib i built and it worked well. haven't used it after that though. it was one of those tools i bought for that particular job. (that's how you do it, right?)

i paid about 40 bucks at the local ww store. might be worth checking out.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rob R; 10-25-2006, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Tarheel
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • N. Carolina

Another vote for the Dowelmax jig!!! Yes. It isn't cheap, but what do they say...you get what you pay for (sometimes). I was a little apprehensive at first, being a novice woodworker and all. I caved in and glad I did. I use mine for many different applications. As a substitute for M&T, panel glueups, faceframes to name a few.

I do have the Kreg pocket hole system and a DW biscuit joiner as well. I reach for the Dowelmax over these two systems quite a bit. The Dowelmax is sooooo easy, fast and as Rickd said, extremely accurate!

Also. Their Customer Service is top notch! I accidentally drilled through one of the "holding pads" while trying to drill 1/2" stock - forgot a spacer required. Completely my own fault! I EMailed the folks at Dowelmax and they express shipped a replacement, completely free of charge. (I do have to invest in a set of the 1/4" guides and bit to make this operation a little easier and safer.)

I recommend going to Dowelmax site and reviewing Jim's demo video.

Dowelmax precision engineered dowel jig systems and router lifts home page with free woodworking project instructions and wood joint strength tests.

Yes. It is a lot more than competitors prices but, I am quite sure that you will be extremely happy with it!

Comment

• mdurg
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

I ordered the Dowelmax earlier this week and hope to get it next week. I have a bunch of dowels to do, in places where a pocket hole would not work because it would show.

I was very apprehensive about the price too. But after reading reviews and viewing the videos of it decided to go ahead. I figured it will be better in the end than buying several jigs that don't do the job well or at all, ruin wood and waste my time.

Hopefully it will work out as advertised!

Mark

Comment

• Tarheel
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • N. Carolina

Originally posted by mdurg
              I ordered the Dowelmax earlier this week and hope to get it next week. I have a bunch of dowels to do, in places where a pocket hole would not work because it would show.

I was very apprehensive about the price too. But after reading reviews and viewing the videos of it decided to go ahead. I figured it will be better in the end than buying several jigs that don't do the job well or at all, ruin wood and waste my time.

Hopefully it will work out as advertised!

Mark
              Mark,

Congratulations on the Dowelmax purchase. I am sure that you will be very happy with it! The video that accompanies the jig will help a lot during your initial setup.

Be sure to let us all hear your opinions after you try it out!

Wayne

Comment

• Flatlander
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Illinois
                • BT3100

If you are looking for cheep, then here you go.

Comment

• Al Garay
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Seattle, WA, USA.

After reading aboug the Dowelmax, chose to make that my primary joining solution for building cabinets. Taking back the Kreg K3 Master and will settle for the less expensive Kreg jig for quick and dirty.

The thing is that the Dowelmax will make my test cabinets look like nice cabinets.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have this one or one very like it from Sears:
                    Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Also looks just like the dowel pro at Rockler.

Is that the one you call dowel pro?
                    It seems to work fine, very easy to understand and use.
                    But I mostly (but not always) do biscuits these days.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Austin, Texas
                      • BT 3100-1

Yeah Loring that's the Dowel Pro. So why don't you use it anymore. Just easier to do biscuits?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

biscuits are more forgiving.
                        The biscuits make perfect alignment in the vertical direction and allow you some play (we're talking +/- 1/8th inch or so) in the horizontal direction. Dowel-Pro lines you up perfectly in the vertical direction but requires you to have lined up the boards properly before drilling - the dowels will all be matched up dowel to dowel but the piece may have errors right-to-left depending upon how well you lined it up.

And Faster. You can do a bunch of biscuits in a hurry. Whereas you have to move the jig each time for dowels.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• niki
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Poland
                          • EB PK255

Long before I developed the router table method, I made a doweling jig out of this

I fine tuned it and its very accurate, I mean, when you check with your finger, you don’t feel any “step” between the connected boards.
                          It has only one deficiency, you have to make it…

niki

Comment

• lcm1947
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Austin, Texas
                            • BT 3100-1

Yeah I can see that the biscuits would be easier then. I have always thought that dowels would be pretty hard to get perfect especailly if I was doing them. I seem to have trouble measuring and getting anything to come out perfect. I wonder if the DowelMax has the same problem getting perfect lineup? Niki thanks for the pictures. Some rig you got there. Very impressive and it looks like you have got some good use out of your rig.

Comment

• Tarheel
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • N. Carolina

Originally posted by lcm1947
                              I wonder if the DowelMax has the same problem getting perfect lineup?
                              The Dowelmax will get every time! If you want a 3/8" setback (ie table legs and rails) or if you want to use it to glue up a panel that is dead flush on one side (assuming the boards are not exactly the same thickness) this jig will do it for you.

I am not associated with the Dowelmax Co, but a thankful user of the jig. All I can say is that the jig is great!

Wayne

Comment

Working...