X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmeyerkopf
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Drill Press and Band Saw Questions

10" or 12" Drill Press. How much or difference is there? What can/can't you do with each one?

Same question between a 9" or 10" Band Saw. What can/can't you do with each one?

In other words what do these numbers really mean?
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by mmeyerkopf
    10" or 12" Drill Press. How much or difference is there? What can/can't you do with each one?

Same question between a 9" or 10" Band Saw. What can/can't you do with each one?

In other words what do these numbers really mean?
    They refer to the distance of the frame/column from the the blade/quill. I've found a 14" bandsaw adequate. Radial arm drill presses are very handy- the head extends out and swivels for angle drilling. Harbor Freight has a couple and you can find used Rockwell or Delta units. The HF are okay quality, the smaller one is actually a good tool but needs a different base. I'm not sure about the motors but they've held up so far.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

As stated in the above post, the size in inches refers to the distance from the blade/quil to the column which in general would be 1/2 the width of a possible work piece. Another measurement to is the resaw capicity on a bandsaw and the quil travel on a drill press. I suppose it depends on what you would be using the tools for, but I have found a 12" drill press to be enough. I only have room for a 12" bandsaw and sometimes it limits what I can do. I believe delta makes a 10" bandsaw with a 6" resaw capicity(pretty much standard on 14" bandsaws) but I'm not sure the motor would be powerful enough to actually resaw 6" hardwood.

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Both the above posts are incorrect about the drill press size.

Since the OP started two threads on this topic, I refer you to post #4
        on the following thread for the correct definition of drill press size "Swing" as it is known (or read the BT3FAQ at the link below my sig, I think that covers it, search for "swing").
        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24028
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...