X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golfmore
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Centennial, CO, USA.

Whats the main diff between the 733 and the 735? I assume the two speed cutting. Thanks.

Comment

• newood2
      • Aug 2004
      • Brooklyn, NY.
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by LarryG
      Which, BTW, the Delta 22-580 has. I have one, and am very satisfied with it.
      Hey LarryG, how is the dust collecting. Do you use this Delta hood. I have a 22-580 which I'm setting up now and I read somewhere that the hood(purchased separately) is not very efficient.
      Howie

Last edited by newood2; 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I have one of the "old" AP 1300s and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Would have preferred the DeWalt but didn't want to spend the money, at least not now. No snipe on the AP 1300 if you get the tables set up properly.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I've got the Delta 22-580 with cutter head lock and have run over 9000 linear feet through with no problems. I have also used the Ridgid and several others with cutter-head lock. They are fine. I stayed away from the original DW as they had a weak sprocket problem before they corrected it. The blades have to be DW and I understand they won't stay sharp long?

Any lunch-box planer (and the same with a 15" or 20" stationary) can produce end snipe if all conditions aren't perfect. I won't go into how to help eliminate that as I have to get to work, but that is my experience. Consequently I took the advice of Richard Jones who is a professional and now teachs in England.

Add a couple of inchs to the stock to be planed.. run it through.. and then size it to exact dimentions. Then go about your business of getting on with the project without the frustration of trying to figure out exactly what caused it and how to correct it. ha.. ha...

Regards...

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

I don't think the cutter head lock has anything to do with Snipe (or at least very little). I think the main reason for snipe is the board not entering/exiting the planer correctly. The only time I ever have snipe is if I let the board tip into the cutter head on entry/exit (meaning I'm not being careful about supporting the board).

Cutter head locks prevent the head from moving slightly as the board goes through. So you wind up with a board that is a consistant thickness instead of 1/64th different from one end to the other.

If you look at my planer, the infeed/outfeed beds are set in such a way that the black "finish" has worn off the far lips of both, but the finish close to the planer itself is still there. On longer board I use my hand to continue this motion so the board doesn't tip up into the blade. And as I said, I get no snipe at all.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by newood2
              Hey LarryG, how is the dust collecting. Do you use this Delta hood.
              I do use that hood, yes. Efficiency is hard to quantify but I'd say it snags somewhere between 85 and 90 percent of the total dust and chips ... well worth the price of the hood, IMO, as a planer is almost as bad as a router when it comes to spraying debris all over a shop.

Put it this way: my shop isn't Kirby Klean, but I do tend to keep things pretty tidy and always run the shop vac over everything at the end of the day. It takes me a LOT less time to clean up around the planer than it does around most of my other tools.
              Larry

Comment

Working...