• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golfmore
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Centennial, CO, USA.

I need a real Planer

Whitch one do I want. I just dumped a Delta 12.5" one. Not for me. What is the one that I may want. A DeWalt? Maybe. Please let me know. Thanks for the help.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

why did you dump it?

I have the Delta 12" TP300 and have very little problem with it (my biggest complaint it the price of blades).
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• golfmore
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Centennial, CO, USA.

I just sold a 12.5".... Had many minor problems, and Delta wanted $100+ to fix. I think I'm going with a Dewalt 2 speed, w 3 cutting heads. Could not get rid of the snipe. Delta was very helpful, for several $$$$. Thanks for the replay though.
      Last edited by golfmore; 09-28-2006, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Well, alot of people seem to like the older Ryobi AP1300 (I think) not the current one without beds, the Ridgid gets decent reviews, and the Dewalt you mentioned.

The one I've heard to stay away from is the Hitachi.

Alot of people complain about snipe on the TP300, but I don't have much problem with it as long as I am there to keep it from popping up into the cutter. I musta good a good one.
        Last edited by Russianwolf; 09-28-2006, 02:59 PM.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• golfmore
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Centennial, CO, USA.

Thanks for the replies. It is appreciated.

Comment

• dsellinger
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2006
            • NW WA
            • bt3000

You said a real planer?

I have the older Ridgid and it's been pretty good, a little snipe now and then, especially since the lower middle table is spring like and it's bent to heck, requiring a little pushing to get a piece started.

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
              why did you dump it?

I have the Delta 12" TP300 and have very little problem with it (my biggest complaint it the price of blades).
              I am another happy TP300 owner, get my blades on e-bay average around $15 for new in package. I have about six sets of dull blades, I have been thinking of having them sharpened. Have you tried that?
              John Hunter

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                • Feb 2004
                • Concord, NC, USA.

I've been using the DeWalt 735 for a couple of years now and it continues to perform great. (I have a review of it at the link below with photos and more details) I also hear from lots of oother folks using this machine successfully. Keep the tables waxed, take light cuts (you shold on any planer) and use work supports when the stock is long enough to be hard to handle. Life will be fine.

Tom Hintz
                NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• emjr
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

For what it's worth, I've owned the Ridgid for about two years, have surfaced several hundred feet of everything from cedar to maple, and have not had one complaint. It balked a little when I fed a 6x6 through, but with adequate support handled it nicely (that was the cedar)

Comment

• jseklund
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2006

OK, I pretty much second (or 10th?) what everyone else has said. From what I've seen I'd look at the Dewalt 735 or even the 733, they Rigid, or the Ryobi. I just started doing this, and knew I needed a few tools so I got the BT3100 and the Ryobi AP1300.

I bought the old AP1300- the new one doesn't have the infeed/outfeed tables as mentioned- so I jumped on the old one when I saw it. I think this scares a lot of people away from the new AP1300- but I've yet to see anyone say they've tried it and that it didn't work. Could just be our expectations are keeping us from making the purchase. Either way, it may be worth a try if you are looking for something around $200. If you have $300-400 I would go with the Dewalt. I went with the Ryobi SOLELY due to budget. I picked up both the BT3100 and the AP1300 for about $310 total at Home Depot with some deal making.

I have used the AP1300 a few times now on smaller boards (the only project I've been working on is making a SMALL doll-type bench for my girlfriend who has a couple of little things to put on it). I have been impressed to be honest. I'm new- so maybe I just don't know what real quality is, and I'm sure the Dewalt would be better- but I can't complain AT ALL about how smooth these boards are coming out. Because I've done shorter boards, I haven't noticed much snipe, and my girlfriend has commented on how smooth and shiny the wood looks when I pull it out- like a mirror finish almost.

Time will tell if it continues to perform, or if it REALLY performs as well as it appears to me (being a newbie). But budget, I wouldn't hesitate on Ryobi. A little more budget (300-400), I'd go Dewalt and consider the Rigid. A little more budget (ok, a lot more) and I'd go with DSELLINGER's planer
                    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Need a shop in a better location then my basement, but a few years ago, I stopped by Woodmaster with my father, and they gave us a tour and a demo. Not just a planer, but one of my dream machines
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• golfmore
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Centennial, CO, USA.

The only issue I had with it was the snipe. Couldn't get rid of it. Not a problem when running longer boards, just cut them a little long and everything was fine. When I did glue ups that were cut to length, then I got frustrated. I did the nickle thing and that almost got rid of it. But I bought it so cheap that I actually got my $$ back. (I did show the buyer what it did. prior to him buying.)

I'm also looking at the Delta 22-580. Confusion, confusion.

Comment

• LarryG
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2004
                          • Off The Back
                          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by golfmore
                          The only issue I had with it was the snipe. Couldn't get rid of it.
                          Did your ex-planer have a cutterhead lock? If not, that was likely the source of the problem. Agreement is virtually universal that a cutterhead lock is a must-have feature when shopping for a planer.

Which, BTW, the Delta 22-580 has. I have one, and am very satisfied with it. The only times I've gotten snipe is when I was planing long boards and got careless about supporting them properly on the outfeed side. This model has always tested well in magazine comparisons, for what that's worth.
                          Larry

Comment

• golfmore
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Centennial, CO, USA.

That model doesn't have the cutter head lock. The 22-580 does. I checked a review of several models, and the Delta actually has a better rating than the DeWalt for snipe. May look at that one.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I've got a 2 1/2 year old DeWalt 733 and have never seen snipe in the least with mine. It does have the cutter-head lock so I'm sure that's why.
                              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

Working...