X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Pine

Can someone tell me the difference between Pine, Laminated pine, and Edge glued pine. I saw them all at HD. I googled them all but couldn't find anything.

Also, would two coats of minwax polyshades be enough to stain laminated pine? How should I prepare the wood before staining? Do I need a conditioner or to sand it down? Thanks.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mackmack
    Can someone tell me the difference between Pine, Laminated pine, and Edge glued pine. I saw them all at HD. I googled them all but couldn't find anything.

Also, would two coats of minwax polyshades be enough to stain laminated pine? How should I prepare the wood before staining? Do I need a conditioner or to sand it down? Thanks.
    pine should be a solid piece of wood. The larger widths like 10-12" are more rare because its harder to find larger pieces without defects.

So they take a number of smaller defect-free pieces (thin strips like 2" wide) and laminate them together to make a wider piece. These are called laminated or edge-glued, I think.

You can tell easily, you can see the joints between the non-continuous grain.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mackmack
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006

thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I could tell the Edge glued where the grain was discontinued. Although it was still very smooth.

At my HD they had a huge sign above and under "Edge Glued Pine" it had a bunch of boxes checked off saying "does not warp", "easy to work with", etc.

Laminated pine was on the other side and completely different. I was trying to get the difference between the two(edge glued and Laminated).

People on here have said staining pine is difficult, Do you think 2 coats of polyshades would look decent enough or do you need like 5 with pine? Should I do anything to prepare the wood before hand? Thank you.

Comment

• parnelli
        • Aug 2004
        • bt3100

People on here have said staining pine is difficult, Do you think 2 coats of polyshades would look decent enough or do you need like 5 with pine? Should I do anything to prepare the wood before hand? Thank you.
        I've had good luck on Pine with the pre-stain stuff you can buy. Seems to even out the amount of stain soaked up.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

That would be completely dependant upon the color you are using and the desired results. There is no hard and fast rule. Apply as many coats as needed to achieve the desired color. If you use Golden Oak for example and want the pine to match the color of the can, then yes it would require more than 2 coats but not 5. If you are using a deep color like Mahogany, then many coats would likely be needed.
          You only need pre-stain conditioner if you are using a oil based stain (there is no way I would recommend water based stain on pine) that penetrates the pine. Polyshade primarily sits on the surface, as does gel stain. If you are using pre-stain conditioner, remember that you can simply use mineral spirits instead of the off the shelf pre-stain conditioner. Simply wipe it on prior to applying the stain. This will help even out the stain and is much cheaper than the pre-stain conditioner.
          I would say the for a beginner, Polyshade may be an excellent option. To make it even easier you could but the polyshade by 50% with mineral spirits or naptha and wipe it on instead of trying to brush it out.

Comment

• Anna
            • Feb 2006
            • CA, USA.
            • BT3100

thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I could tell the Edge glued where the grain was discontinued. Although it was still very smooth.

At my HD they had a huge sign above and under "Edge Glued Pine" it had a bunch of boxes checked off saying "does not warp", "easy to work with", etc.

Laminated pine was on the other side and completely different. I was trying to get the difference between the two(edge glued and Laminated).

I always thought that laminated pine is glued face to face. If you have 1- by strips, laminated would be gluing the larger faces together (like for 1x2 strips), edge glued are, well, glued edges together, especially for larger widths. But again, I could very well be wrong.

Comment

Working...