• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What about this: run a single apron right down the middle of the table, under the top, connecting the two legs and centered on them. If you visualize the table with the top removed, the leg structure and apron would look like a capital letter

I

(The proportions of that are wrong, but you get the idea, right?)

Make the apron 4" or so high by whatever thickness you like; 3/4" will do, thicker won't hurt. The apron will help keep the table top from sagging, and will provide HUGE resistance to racking forces. For a table only ~29" tall, the apron will normally not be visible unless you're a fair distance away, or kneel down to look under the table.

Attach the apron with biscuits: two at each leg (or even four, arranged two by two, if the apron is thick enough), and 6" or so on center where it meets the top.

Will that work for you?
    Larry

Comment

• cyberbum
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006

Yeah that sounds great, not too complicated for me, and it won't be really apparent (I might just push them a bit more towards the back, since the back part won't be visible, it'll be hidden by the sofa).

Thanks a lot! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out, you guys are really a nice helpful bunch. I will update this post with pictures once I'm done for future reference for other people.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

what about a glue line joint? they are easy of you have a router table and a little patience.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-99-031-R...lulinbits.html
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...