X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Gluing MDF

I have been reading another thread in regards to how best use screws to attach to MDF. That thread answered most of my questions, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I plan doing a lot of mdf and it looked like it might make things easier for me.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=1644

I am using pretty small screws and I couldn't think of any other way to get the glue in their with the screws then this. Is this a good purchase to shoot some titebond in there before I use the screws? Thanks.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Are you saying you intend to inject some glue into the screw hole, before driving the screw home? If so ... why?

If that's not what you're asking, I don't understand your question (although I may just be being thick).
    Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mackmack
      I have been reading another thread in regards to how best use screws to attach to MDF. That thread answered most of my questions, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I plan doing a lot of mdf and it looked like it might make things easier for me.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=1644

I am using pretty small screws and I couldn't think of any other way to get the glue in their with the screws then this. Is this a good purchase to shoot some titebond in there before I use the screws? Thanks.
      To get maximum strength the glue should be in the joint area where the two pieces contact each other. This means spread it onto those surfaces fully before making the joint and securing with screws, if used, or clamps, if not fasteners for temporary holding are used. Glue in the screw holes won't improve the joint, it might make the screws a little harder to get out, but maybe not even that.

The tough thing about gluing MDF is that the end surface will soak up a lot of glue leaving the joint possibly starved. You might give the ends a extra thin coat of glue and allow to dry before making the final glue joint. Some experimentation would be in order before committing to the prime item...
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mackmack
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006

Sorry maybe I misunderstood. I am just trying to connect a hinge from one piece of MDF to the other. No joints or anything. I didn't want the screws to fall out as they have a tendency with MDF not to grab and stay put, particularly when using smaller screws.

So that's why I was thinking that the titebond would bond and form around the screw to offer more grab then just the screw itself. Am I totally wrong in assuming that then?

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

It sounds like you have a hinge that you want to screw to one piece of MDF and the other side of the hinge goes to another piece of MDF. If that is the case use coarse thread screws, drill a small pilot hole and bump screw in slowly when it starts to pull up. The more you remove and reinstall the screws, the more the hole fails. If you need to fix an oversized hole, stick in a wood tooth pick or two, and break off flush. Then reinstall the screw.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• pierhogunn
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

this may be overkill for your application, but if this is a critical connection that you don't want failing, you could over drill and dowel the holes so that you are attaching to hardwood instead of MDF
            It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Bulkley
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2005
              • British Columbia, Canada.

Are your hinges big enough? Do you have enough? I screw hinges to MDF frequently without a problem. The issue is weight and stress. For a small cabinet door, two hinges are enough, but I'm making some with glass and will use three hinges each.

Comment

• David Coleman
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2004
                • Rochester, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                The tough thing about gluing MDF is that the end surface will soak up a lot of glue leaving the joint possibly starved. You might give the ends a extra thin coat of glue and allow to dry before making the final glue joint. Some experimentation would be in order before committing to the prime item...
                I've read where some folks wipe the joint with a damp rag before applying glue for this very reason.

Comment

Working...