This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crhoades68

I'm Lost - Now which Table Saw

I have been researching my first "major" woodworking tool purchase for some time. After reading time and again that the BT3000/3001 was probably the best choice for a beginner, I began saving my money. To my surprise< (a few months later) upon walking into Home Depot to make my first purchase, that Ryobi has discontinued the product.

I began thinking that this may be a sign ... but then remembered the things I have made (and enjoyed) by mostly hand tools and how much I've wanted to use a table saw.

The salesperson told me the best saw after the BT3100 would be the Ridgid TS3650 ($500). I understand that it has a good reputation and that this unit is now the best option this person has to sell.

I want to make the best decision possible for my first major purchase and I can stretch up to around the cost of the TS3650.

What do you all think? Thanks for your help!
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I think the Ridgid generally gets pretty good reviews. I'm happy with my Ridgid jointer and Ridgid bandsaw.

Here are a few more options in that price range:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0444
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    http://www.hitachipowertools.com/sto...th=1,11,4,p250,

I saw the Hitachi at one of the Big Boxes, and thought it looked interesting. I haven't used or closely inspected any of these though.

If I were going to put $500+ into a saw, I think I would hold out for a lower end cabinet saw, like this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478

Otherwise, I would just keep up the search for a BT.
    John

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crhoades68
      I have been researching my first "major" woodworking tool purchase for some time. After reading time and again that the BT3000/3001 was probably the best choice for a beginner, I began saving my money. To my surprise< (a few months later) upon walking into Home Depot to make my first purchase, that Ryobi has discontinued the product.

I began thinking that this may be a sign ... but then remembered the things I have made (and enjoyed) by mostly hand tools and how much I've wanted to use a table saw.

The salesperson told me the best saw after the BT3100 would be the Ridgid TS3650 ($500). I understand that it has a good reputation and that this unit is now the best option this person has to sell.

I want to make the best decision possible for my first major purchase and I can stretch up to around the cost of the TS3650.

What do you all think? Thanks for your help!
      if you really have your heart and budget set on a BT3100 there were literally hundreds of thousands sold. Just keep an eye out on the papers and Craigslist, eBay and other sales sheets for a reasonable low use one. They are also listed and or pointed out there in the classifieds and bargains sections on a regular basis. They now often go for $150-200 lightly used so your budget will go farther. Just takes a moderate amount of patience finding one close to you.

The BT3 FAQ may offer some suggestions on buying a used one.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

You will not be disappointed with the Ridgid TS3650.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If the BT is what you want, Ryobi is still making a version of it for Sears.....model 21829 I think. IMO the 3650 is the next step up the ladder. This type of saw has a larger surface and more mass, and should make for a lifetime tool. As mentioned, the 3650 isn't the only good $550 saw. The Griz G0444 and Craftsman hybrids are excellent choices too. The reports on the Hitachi have been mixed. The fence is not on par with the others in the price range and the wings are very thin. IMO, the Jet 708100 for $400 is a better choice and is a similar design to the Hitachi. Pick one you like and get a good blade.

Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:24 AM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• buddyroo
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006

BT3100 at HD

Parhaps it would be worth your while to go to HD and seek out someone there who actually knows how to use their inventory system to check for BT3100s OUTSIDE your immediate area. They have this capability, and if you are pleasant to them they may do it for you.

I just bought mine last week at the Borg and paid $175 NIB for it. If you can't find one at HD and either can't or don't want to get a used one, you might consider a contractors saw. I heard that a few months ago some people were able to score the Delta 36-675 for $400 or slightly less.

There is always a deal out there if you just keep looking. Good luck.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Check around for HD managers who will take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon. I finally found one locally which would and got the TS3650 for ~$460, regular price should be $549, not $599.

Like the BT3, the Ridgid TS3650 is an excellent tablesaw.
              Good luck
              ken

Comment

• Navycraig
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2006

I know you're not in Baltimore, but just this past weekend I saw a BT3100 NIB at the HD there. Maybe your store was just out...or maybe they have been discontinued and the store I was at still had one.
                As others have mentioned, check Craigslist. I got my 3100 off there last week for $150.00. The saw is in perfect shape and came with the accessory kit and some other items. I have not even set it up yet.
                Good Luck.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Another saw that looks like it would be a good option is the Hitachi that Lowe's has.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• rg32
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Barre, Vermont, USA.

One just never knows!
                    Another consideration is to keep your eyes peeled for a “Cummins Tool Sale” they might just have a straggler Bt3000 or 3100 refurb. on board

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

To the best of my knowledge the craftsman clone is still available at sears.

It is identical to the BT3100 in most respects. The base is different (mobile instead of fixed) and the access. table is actually improved (has miter slots and directly fits most routers. It also comes with the access. kit that is talked about on here. It runs in the $400 range, but you might catch a sale soon considering what time of year is coming up.

here's the link.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfmm.0
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Holland, Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829

I finally jumped in...

After looking at the BT3000 and watching it turn into the BT3100 and then go away, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Sears 21829 (Red BT3100 on wheels).

I need to pick it up at Sears tonight. That 20% discount was just too good to pass up. I got the saw for $359 plus $24 to bring the one year warranty up to 3 years.

I expect that the saw will be perfect for me. My shop space is quite limited and I often have to work either outside or in a larger room next to my shop. So, the mobile base was a big plus for me. Typically, I set things up for a project, leave them up for a week or so until it is finished, and then put everything away. The 21829 tucks away so nicely, that it will still leave room in my shop for small projects that don't require a table saw.

Has anyone tried to attach a Porter-Cable router (690 type) to the router table? I have a very nice router table that serves as my primary shop tool. I am thinking I might like to leave a base attached to the 21829's table with the fence set-up for jointing and just pop the motor in when I do that fairly frequent operation. On the other hand, now that I'll have a decent table saw, I may not need to joint nearly so often!

The only sad part is that I had finally gotten really good at ripping with a circular saw...
                        Doug Kerfoot
                        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                          The only sad part is that I had finally gotten really good at ripping with a circular saw...
                          Believe me, that is still a skill you will use quite often, even with a good "rip saw" as my FIL calls them.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                            • One of them there Toy saws

dkerfoot, once you get it all set up let us know what kind of balde it comes with. And if you don't mind, I'd like the part number for the Access. Table.
                            Mike
                            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                              I expect that the saw will be perfect for me. My shop space is quite limited and I often have to work either outside or in a larger room next to my shop. So, the mobile base was a big plus for me. Typically, I set things up for a project, leave them up for a week or so until it is finished, and then put everything away. The 21829 tucks away so nicely, that it will still leave room in my shop for small projects that don't require a table saw.
                              Please keep us updated as to how does it handle the alignment, after being moved a bit. (does it seem to stay in, get a little out, get a LOT out, etc)
                              Thanks
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...