• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Replacement TS switch

What's the best place to buy a magnetic switch for my TS? I'm upgrading an older Craftsman TS. I have a new set of rails/ fence (Biesemeyer), but the switch that came with the saw is a piece of junk too! I'm not looking to spend a whole lot. I just want something I can install a shutoff bar/ panel to.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

grizzly sells some for machinery.

www.grizzlytools.com
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Go to the parts list for Grizzly's new hybrid and call them about the price of the magnetic switch on that saw. Griz is great about shipping parts. CS is has been tops in my dealings with them. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478 Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Surplus Center. I got mine for the TS3650 there due to us getting power drops. Nothing like ripping on the TS when the lights and TS power go off for a few seconds, then back on!
        I believe it was ~$15

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          Surplus Center. I got mine for the TS3650 there due to us getting power drops. Nothing like ripping on the TS when the lights and TS power go off for a few seconds, then back on!
          I believe it was ~$15
          Is Suplus Center a B&M store, or a website?

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN

How'd this be for a replacement?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...netic%20switch

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              if you are looking for the ultimate in safety, you want a magnetic switch that won't turn on the machinery if power fails and then come back on, you want it to be off whenever the power is restored. That's what the magnetic switch does. it has two pushbuttons, when you push ON it energizes the machine and also energizes a magnetic relay that holds the circuit on. If power is lost the relay lets go and when power is reestored, it will not go on until the start or ON button is pressed. Pressing the OFF or STOP button will break the circuit to the relay and the switch will power off.

Now this Rockler switch appears to have two buttoms like a magnetic switch but clearly lacks the key words "Magnetic Switch" or "Safety switch" anywhere in the description - it may just be a cheapo on- and off pushbutton. So I just don't know but I fear the worst.

link to Grizz safety switch page
              http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/214
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-28-2006, 03:54 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

http://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UI...c&keyword=ERRA

I should have remembered to say all I find at Surplus Center is 220v, which I use. If your saw is wired for 110, the Grizz link Loring posted is your best bet.
                Either I'm remembering wrong (probably) or the prices are higher, $30 max depending on the size of your TS motor. Don't let the 220 3 phase bother you. The coil is 220 1 phase and for the motor power just use 2 of the 3 contacts in the 3 phase starter.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Well I'm only using 110 right now, so it looks like the Grizz is the only option... Kinda stinks. $50 is almost half the cost of the FENCE for the saw (biesemeyer)....

Just how important is it to have a magnetic switch than the less expesive push button style? With the latter, I still can get it set up to have the safety turn off push bar or something similar...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well I'm only using 110 right now, so it looks like the Grizz is the only option... Kinda stinks. $50 is almost half the cost of the FENCE for the saw (biesemeyer)....

Just how important is it to have a magnetic switch than the less expesive push button style? With the latter, I still can get it set up to have the safety turn off push bar or something similar...
                    didn't I explain the function of the magnetic switch in detail eariler in the thred? - only you can decide how this will be of value to you.

for me, the garage is the gateway to the breaker box, I don't have to worry really about turning on the breaker with the saw on.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      didn't I explain the function of the magnetic switch in detail eariler in the thred? - only you can decide how this will be of value to you.

for me, the garage is the gateway to the breaker box, I don't have to worry really about turning on the breaker with the saw on.

You explained the function of the magnetic switch, but not really the applicable benefit. For instance, is the issue a concern that once power shuts off completely the switch may remain on once restored? Or is it of issue for say a drop in power/ brownout? I don't really have too many large drops throughout the house- usually just a breaker tripping. And if that occurs, I'm not too worried that I'll forget to turn the saw off.

Sorry if I'm dense today- lack of sleep.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

You explained the function of the magnetic switch, but not really the applicable benefit. For instance, is the issue a concern that once power shuts off completely the switch may remain on once restored? Or is it of issue for say a drop in power/ brownout? I don't really have too many large drops throughout the house- usually just a breaker tripping. And if that occurs, I'm not too worried that I'll forget to turn the saw off.

Sorry if I'm dense today- lack of sleep.
                        Originally posted by Lchien
                        if you are looking for the ultimate in safety, you want a magnetic switch that won't turn on the machinery if power fails and then come back on, you want it to be off whenever the power is restored. That's what the magnetic switch does.
                        I thought I explained the benefit pretty straightforwardly.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...