• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

It appears that you have a good basis for doing the kind of projects you described. Circular Saw, Router, BT3100, Jig Saw, Drill, etc.

I don't recall if you had a shop set-up or were just having to "get things out" everytime you setup for a project.

The Ryobi 12-inch drill press is a pretty worthy addition if you don't envision a budget for a floor model. I know a lot of guys who have been perfectly happy with a bench model and Ryobi's 12-inch is as well designed as most. However, be aware that Ryobi announced a new model, earlier this past spring. The new model, although still manually belt-changed for 12 speeds, has a digital RPM indicator, LED work subject lights, and will come with a small machinists' vise. The 10-inch "new version" has been in stores for some time, but the 12-inch is overdue. You can check www.ryobitools.com for details.

If you're doing small craft or trim pieces, you might also take a look at Ryobi's $99 BD4600 bench-top Belt/Disc sander. This is a great tool for precision fitting/sanding of small components. With its cast iron housing and induction motor, this model is better than any other brand I've compared in this price range. On mine, the disc runs true and the table and angle set-ups are accurate and steadfast. It was a nice addition.

Regarding a bandsaw. I have the Ryobi BS902. It's decent and I like it and was a good price with no problems after over two years of occasional use. However, the new Craftsman 9-inch unit (made by Rikon) is built with a high level of durability and has some great features like roller-bearing guides, rigid welded steel frame, etc. It's priced around $150... but that will have to be at another time, as I know you're working off that HD gift card. I know that most will be of the opinion that the bigger the better and one should start off with nothing less than a 14-inch beauty with column extension. Not a problem if you're experienced and have deep enough pockets to do such adventures. Usually I'm not very good at spending my money, much less somebody elses'. For me, the 9-inch bandsaw offered minimum investment, while affording a good opportunity to venture into bandsaw territory and learn its form and function, as well as find out how much I love this tool.

A previous post mentioned "sanders" and I don't recall if this is part of your current arsenal. If not, consider adding a detail sander like Ryobi's Corner Cat (in case you haven't guessed, I'm a Ryobi fan). It's a nice kit for $24!. On the higher end, you can't beat the efficiency of a ROS or the versatility of a 1/4 sheet finishing sander. In both cases I have the Ridgid models and couldn't be happier. (1/4 sheet is $50 and 5" ROS is around $70). The 1/4 is often overlooked, but from an economic (and versatility) point of view, there is a wide variety of sanding and buffing media that be selected for minimal prices.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 08-20-2006, 06:27 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gimpy
      Established Member
      • Nov 2004
      • Flagstaff, AZ.
      • BT3100

cw, yes, I can tell you like Ryobi (I have their 3100 and their router). Well, I had looked at the drill press at HD. It is not the newer model listed in the Ryobi website. In fact, HD does not even list the newer one. I wish it had a price listed on its site, but I did not see one.

I had not thought too much about the bench sander, but kind of like that idea.

Anyway, still thinking and considering. Hopefully, I will make a decision later this week.

Frank
      Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Remember that you can use HD gift certificate/card on Homedepot.com where they have a much larger selection of power tools.

Look for the tool that benfits you most in the projects you are doing. I don't think a CMS would be all that beneficial to a someone who had a very strong cross cutting machine like the BT3. I mean CMS and SCMS are great tools, but they don;t expand your capabilities that greatly.

Nice random orbital sander is a must along with a supply of sand paper.

Also you could stock up on finishing supplies like stains, poly, etc. Those things are priced decently at BORG.

If you are dead set on getting a larger tool I would say just about anything in the Ridgid line would be fine (lifetime warrenty and all). I have the thickness planer and it is pretty decent.

I would seriously think about DC. Look at options online at HD.

Comment

• gimpy
          Established Member
          • Nov 2004
          • Flagstaff, AZ.
          • BT3100

Jeffrey, thx for your reply. I have been looking on line some, but did not know/was not sure, if I could use the card online. I don't know if it would be any more expensive/less expensive online since shipping would be involved, but it does give me a greater variety. I will start looking a lot closer and compare them to what is in the store. Thx, for that suggestion.

Frank
          Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by gimpy
            Jeffrey, thx for your reply. I have been looking on line some, but did not know/was not sure, if I could use the card online. I don't know if it would be any more expensive/less expensive online since shipping would be involved, but it does give me a greater variety. I will start looking a lot closer and compare them to what is in the store. Thx, for that suggestion.

Frank
            They run free shipping deals all the time.

Comment

• gabedad
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Chelmsford, MA.
              • unfortunately bts-15

miter saw is awful handy. I use mine all the time around the house

Comment

• gimpy
                Established Member
                • Nov 2004
                • Flagstaff, AZ.
                • BT3100

Update. Well, I finally made the decision. Couldn't wait any longer. The card was burning a hole in my pocket, if you know what I mean. After much thinking and deliberating (and reading all of your suggestions), I did decide on a miter saw, reason being, I need to crosscut a few 2x4's for a project the wife wants.

She went with me to the HD today. The one saw I had been looking seriously at was the 10 inch Ridgid. They had dropped the price on it today by $8.00. Not much, but enough to sway me. Anyway, while we were looking at it, we got to looking at the 12 inchers, and, by golly, she talked me into getting the Ridgid 12 inch miter saw for $270. Not on sale and I will probably never get my money's use out of it, but, what the heck. What swayed me on it was the lifetime warranty or whatever they call it.

Already put it together and "chopped"/cut the 2x's along with some 2 inch round stakes. These will be used in a foot bridge she wants me to build across a "dry creek bed". It even came with its own stand.

Thx, again, for all of the good suggestions/advice.

Frank
                Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• oface
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Whidbey Island, Wa

check the ryobi site again ...

they have a deal , if you purchase the miter saw along with the stand , you get $50 bucks back , on selected models.

i would go back bu HD and get that stand to go with ,, you would be basically dropping 40 bucks for that stand , which isnt too shabby of a deal ,

chris

Comment

• gimpy
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Flagstaff, AZ.
                    • BT3100

Chris, my HD also has that deal but with Ryobi saws. I wound up getting the Ridgid, so it did not apply in my purchase. Incidentally, the Ridgid I bought did come with its own stand, but not one of the kind (I think it expands way out?) that is advertised. I did think seriously about going that route and getting the Ryobi, but decided not to.

Thx, for the suggestion. Frank
                    Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

Working...