• Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Flagstaff, AZ.
    • BT3100

Now what to buy

Ok, I have about $300 to spend at H.D. (Now that I don't have to worry about getting a jig saw -reference my earlier post). I have the bt3100, so what do you folks think? I have been thinking band saw, drill press or miter saw (I don't have any of these 3). Spend it on one fairly decent item (up to $300) or split it into two purchases? This will be used only in hobby type applications. I don't envision using it to build/add on to my house or garage, etc.

A couple of projects I'm pondering are: build a set of speakers, build a dog house, build a table for the above purchase, maybe a clock kit for a gift idea, or something along these lines.

Which of these three items would be/get the most use out of this sort of woodworking.

Again, thx for any advice. Sorry about being such a pain.

Frank
    Frank, "Still the one"
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd be leaning towards a thickness planer or router with table next if it was up to me.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 08-19-2006, 06:28 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• MilDoc

Between BS, DP, MS, I'd vote band saw!

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

I agree with Paul that those sorts of projects would probably do well with a bandsaw. But you could also use a router (e.g., a two-base Bosch or PC). And perhaps a random orbital sander (I have and really like the Ridgid one).
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• gmack5
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

What about a Decent DC?

Some where along the way, sooner or later, you're going to need a decent Dust Collection System. Better sooner than later.

I would think a trip to Harbor Freight and a very close look at the unit that they have for sale would be a good place to start.
          Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
          George

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Frank,

So, let's look at your project list and the materials you're going to be cutting for the "speakers, dog house, work table or maybe a clock kit or other gift idea"

Pretty much looks to me like some sheet stock like plywood and maybe some dimensional lumber.

You've already go a great table saw (BT3100) so cutting accurate pieces isn't a problem, but do you have a circular saw to cut down the sheet stock to size? If not, I would put a circular saw at the top of my list.

If you're going to get fancy with trim pieces, scallops, curves, etc., a band saw might be in order, but I don't see much of that with your current list, especially if you're going to build contemporary stuff.

Similarly, I don't see much use at this point for a thickness planer. I would imagine that most of your board stock will be fairly smooth and straight as you pick it from the rack. The planer won't help you with the sheet stock for these projects.

MIter saw is great for cutting dimensional lumber, especially with angles, etc. but I don't see much of that unless you are going to build framework for the dog house. It could be handy for the workbench, but that can pretty much be done on the BT3100.

A drill press would be nice, and would normally be at the top of my list for drilling accurate holes for adjustable shelving, dowels, etc.; but I don't see that on your list of projects either, except for boring a hole for the clock... but if you do a kit, that may not be necessary.

Routers are always a great tool to have around and there are certainly many applications, especially if you're going to get into edging, etc. Similarly, a jig saw is great for notching out any frame work or sheet goods.

As mentioned, a dust collector is essential when you doing a lot cutting/woodworking. That needs to come early. But if you haven't got the tools for these fairly simple first projects, you'll need some basic tools first. You can initially use a good respirator and shop vac, just don't put off the DC too long.

So, top of my list for your mentioned projects would be:

1, Dust Mask/Respirator, Safety glasses
            2. Circular Saw
            3. Jig Saw
            4. Router
            5. Shop Vac

Then maybe add a dust collector, drill press, bandsaw, and planer as future projects and your budget dictates.

Bottom line is for you to look at these projects, visualize the components and the steps needed to create them. That will dictate the tools required. From my experience, its best to let the project drive the need for the tool, rather than buy the tool and hope you'll be able to use it on the next project.

I hope this helps,

CWS
            Last edited by cwsmith; 08-19-2006, 12:27 AM.
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gimpy
              Established Member
              • Nov 2004
              • Flagstaff, AZ.
              • BT3100

Well, thx, I do have an old Craftsman circ. saw (with diy saw guide), shop vac and router (3 base, 2 hp Ryobi). And just ordered a jig saw (recon. Bosch). I have built a workbench and a router table. cw is right. I do not buy much wood other than ply, mdf, mostly from HD. In fact, that is what my bench and table is made out of.

Dust collection will have to wait a while, unfortunately. HD has a DP for about $170 (ryobi) that I looked at. They also had a couple of miter saws, a 12" Ryobi and a 10" Dewalt both for about $200 each. These were the 3 items that caught my eye here at the local BORG. One of my problems is that I have never used any of these items and have not really spec'd them out yet to see which is the better quality, etc. Really don't know what to look for, yet.

I am going to try to stay within budget on this one (at least not go over by more than 10%), like I did on the jig saw I ordered this morning. I don't think I could explain two of these over expenditures to the wife, and get away with it .

Thx, (still thinking about it), Frank
              Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Frank, I would think that the band saw is the most useful addition from a woodworking standpoint, but I wouldn't choose the ridgid or little ryobi band saws. They arn't bad, mind you, I just think you can get better bang for your buck elsewhere.

The Ridgid jointer is good though, the planer is as well. I would also vote for a miter saw of some sort. I have a makita ls1013 sliding miter, and it's VERY useful. I don't often cross cut on my TS because of it. But that's just how I work. You can cross cut very accurately with the BT, and in some cases it's just plain better to do it on the BT.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

I'd go with a decent drill press but our BORG doesn't have one on the floor. If you have to spend it there, the 10" Dewalt miter saw is pretty decent. $300 buys a real decent drill press most places. Less so with the other tools. I'd try to get the best tool you can for the money, you'll never regret having a good tool to use.
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• gary
                    • May 2004
                    • Versailles, KY, USA.

I'd reconsider your decision to put off your dust collection and do that now. It's a good investment that'll protect your health.
                    Gary

Comment

• Wood_workur
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Ohio
                      • Ryobi bt3100-1

Is the purchase limited to HD, becuase you might (READ MIGHT) still be able to get a hitachi CB13F at lowes for $100, along with the hitachi drillpress.
                      Alex

Comment

• davidtu
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Seattle, WA
                        • BT3100

I wouldn't tie myself to HD for a bandsaw, as their selection is super limited (really, only Ridgid). I've been picking up lots of great stuff used on Craigslist, so I definitely recommend you look there for some of the bigger items (bandsaw, miter saw, jointer) and try to fill in stuff that is too small or bothersome to get that way at HD.

One of the purchases I like best from HD is my Ryobi combination 18v tool set. I got the #800 set which has like 12 tools in it, but they often have these on sale and there are various combos. Of course you might find overlap w/ jigsaw and circular saw--tho cordless is always a feature.

No one mentioned a ROS, I'd recommend the Ridgid from HD--it's got great reviews from everyone.

Another area to consider is air nailer set--HD often has a decent price on the Porter Cable 2 or 3 gun sets w/ pancake compressor. I love those things!! Fun and very useful... tho perhaps not your next purchase. I was lucky to get one bundled in free w/ my Ridgid Miter saw, which I like fine.
                        Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• gimpy
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2004
                          • Flagstaff, AZ.
                          • BT3100

Sorry, David, guys, but it has to be from the BORG (gift cert). I would like to get one of the bigger tools as said in my first post. I had not really thought about the jointer, but will look into it. Right now, the planer, DC are pretty much out of the thought process. So, anyway, this (getting it from HD) will limit my choices quite a bit. Woodworking Jounal magazine rated 8 or 10 of the mitre saws in one of its articles. One was the Ryobi and the other a 10 inch Dewalt.

One thing I have not done is look real close at their (HD) web site to see if they have anything different/better listed on it that is not shown at the local store. I don't know if I could use the g.cert. buying over the internet or not.

Thx, Frank
                          Frank, "Still the one"

Comment

• Doug Jones
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2004
                            • Indiana
                            • Delta 36-444

I haven't read all the replies but I highly recommend a surface planer (I hear Ridgid has a good one).

Comment

• Wood_workur
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Ohio
                              • Ryobi bt3100-1

hmmm... here is my list, in order:

1: Router
                              2: Planer
                              3: ROS
                              4: Jointer
                              5: Belt sander

The jointer is close to the bottom, because you can build a jointing sled for your planer (if you buy one).
                              Alex

Comment

Working...