• Show
Clear All
  • cbrown
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Massachusetts
    • BT3100

60° Bevel Cut

I'm trying to make ramps for the tool well on my workbench. A 30-60-90 triangle seems the right configuration for the purpose. The ramps are 6 1/2" wide 3/4" plywood. So--I can make the 30° bevel cut for the 60° corner, but how do I make a 60° cut for the 30° (lower) corner? All I can think of is setting up a sacrificial rip fence and some sort of jig to hold the piece perpendicular to the table with the blade bevel set at 30°. Or is there something obvious I am missing?

Thanks,

--Christopher
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

I think I'm missing your point. If you start with a piece of lumber that is square on the end and rip it lengthwise with a 30 degree bevel, the other two angles will be 90 and 60.

If the above is not what you are looking for, perhaps another member can be more helpful.

Edited: re-read your question about using 3/4" plywood. I'm still not clear about the question. Do you want to cut a 30 degree bevel on one end of the plywood sheet and 60 degree on the opposite edge?
    ________
    XexoticCarianeX live
    Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

If you're going to miter each corner you'll want to divide the angle by two. For the 90-degree corner each mating piece will be cut at 45 degrees. For the 60 it's two 30s. For the 30 it's two 15s.

HTH
      JR
      JR

Comment

• cbrown
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Massachusetts
        • BT3100

OK, the two legs of the 30-60-90 triangle are provided by the structure of the bench itself; the ramp, which I'm trying to make, is the hypoteneuse, and needs the ends of the plywood beveled, effectively making the plywood a trapezoid with angles of 30° and 60° in relation to the long side. Making a bevel crosscut with the blade angle set to 30° gives me the 60° angle to go against the side of the well; I need to cut the sharp 30° angle on the other end of the ramp (the end that will go against the bottom of the tool well).

I think the cut could be made with something like one of the tenoning jigs described in the Articles section; I guess I'm looking for confirmation from wiser heads that that is indeed the only or simplest way to do it.

--Christopher

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

This is where a power hand plane would come in handy.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• afortune
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2005
            • Corning, NY, USA.
            • BT3000+BT3100(frankensaw)

I use a chamfer bit in a router table and/or the jointer for angles past the table saw's capacity

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Oh, I guess I get it now. How about a tall fence and run the piece through vertically with the bevel setting at 30 degrees?

JR
              JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
                Oh, I guess I get it now. How about a tall fence and run the piece through vertically with the bevel setting at 30 degrees?

JR
                That's the only reasonable way I could think of to do it, as well.
                Since the thing will end up ridinf on a "knife" edge" so to speak, you way want to fasten it to a carrier board with double stick tape or screws or something.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...