X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

What Glue do I use?

So I just wanted to get a good idea as to the best types of glues to use... I actually use several for the stuff I make. If anyone knows or has used a particular glue that is superior to these(these are all I used so far, but they seem to work) please let me know as sampling the many different varieties can get expensive.

Wood-Titebound 3

Plastic/Glass-Gorilla Glue

Hinge reinforcement-Super Glue

Waterproof glue-Gorilla Glue
    ---------------------------------------

I was also wondering if there are any good 100% waterproof glues out there that don't expand so much or are tinted yellow. I have tried Gorilla Glue and Elmer's new stuff and I still get a great deal of expansion while the dry.

Thanks for any help you could provide.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

this website has been recommended for finding the proper type of glue to attache specified materials to each other:

http://www.thistothat.com/
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

For my projects on which I don't need a waterproof glue, I use regular Titebond ... plenty strong, and cheaper than Tightbond II or III (especially III). If by chance you're using III mainly because you think that if Original is good, II is better, then III must be the best yet ... you're probably overspending needlessly. The original Titebond formula has been around for decades and is well-proven. It does have a shorter working time, however.
      Larry

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

For longer open time items I use Elmer's Glue All. it's basically the same a wood glues but without the additives that shorten the working time. Everything I've made with it is still stuck together.

For a non-expanding non-yellowing 100% waterproof glue, epoxy.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• mackmack
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006

Lchien, cool site thatnks.

Thanks for the other comments guys, I am making fountains and although I designed the thing so that the water should never come in contact with the glue, the titebound 3, being 100% waterproof is nice piece of mind.

Comment

Working...