X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mackmack
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006

Cross-cut easier?

I usually cut a lot of the same sizes of boards... I can rip all day once the fence is set and I have no problems, but I also need to cut those ripped pieces down to square like shapes.

I cross cut for that and although I can get my cuts reliably, I wish there was a way to automate the size of the cuts as like with the rip fence. I basically cut only 3 sizes of cross cuts over and over so it would be nice to set it and get a perfect cut each time like with the rip fence. As of right now I measue cross cuts over and over again which takes some time.

Is that what a featherboard is used for? or is there anyway to automate cross cut like i can with the rip fence?

Thanks for your help guys...most likely another stupid question.
  • Deadhead
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
    • BT3100

How about clamping stop blocks on the rip fence?

Set you rip fence to a predetermined measurement. Clamp block 1 to the fence, before the blade. Slide the board against the block, cross cut. Slide it again, cross cut.

Swap out block 1 with block 2. Make your second sized crosscuts. Repeat for block 3.

Not sure if the lengths you're cutting will make this easier or harder though.
    "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

• MilDoc

Clamp a piece of wood to the rip fence just ahead of the blade. Measure your cut to that, then each succesive piece is placed against the block and SMT, then cross-cut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are two ways.
        If its short, then like people have suggested, a stop block attached to the rip fence IN FRONT OF THE BLADE will set the length of cutoffs to the right of the blade.

If you have longer pieces, then Extended length SMT fences with stop blocks is the way to go. this requres a SMT fence at least longer than your finished piece.

If you have really long peices, the way to cut these is with a miter saw with extended platforms and stop blocks on the platform.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gary
          • May 2004
          • Versailles, KY, USA.

Crosscut sled with a stop block works best to me. I made a big one for my BT and love it.
          Gary

Comment

• mackmack
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006

I have seen that and heard that talked about looking around but the DVD that came with the saw said to always completely remove the rip fence when cross-cutting.

I have already got kickback once and that is enough for me. So you guys are saying its cool to keep the rip fence on while cross-cutting and to put a stop block on the rip fence?

So, if I understand correctly, it's only dangerous to cross-cut with the rip fence when you are actually using the fence as a guide? ...but its ok to use a clamped wood block so long as its set up lower then the blade?

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

See what happens when you listen to a bunch of us.

What everyone means is that the "block" you clamp to the rip fence, ends before the stock you are crosscutting even gets near the saw blade. Therefore, once the cross cut starts, your stock IS NOT touching the rip fence. Ergo, no kickback.

Give me some time and I'll draw it out for you and post again.

BTW, a featherboard is for ripping only.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Mack,

Here's the illustration, very simplified, this should clear up the confusion.

Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 04-24-2007, 05:48 PM.
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• mackmack
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006

I see now... Thanks for the illustration. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

Working...