I thought jointing would be easy...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • davidtu
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 708
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

    #16
    Well I tried to get the knives reset using the new Grizzly gauge they sent me... but (as I might have already said) it wasn't made right or not compatible as it made the blades too high.

    So, back to JoeWoodworker.Com's advice and since I've now done this SO many times, it wasn't too bad--though I find that the lateral alignment of the knives in the cutterhead was a PITA to get right... it was very sensitive to its position and if off toward the fence or away from it too much and it hit somewhere in the revolution of the cutterhead. The clearances there seem WAY too tight. Sort of wonder if that is by design or there is hardened "gunk" that its hitting. I don't turn it on, of course, just by hand feeling it... so it could conceivably be gunk.

    Anyhow, I finally got some good results today. I think it was the readjustment of the knives coupled with your collective advice & wisdom--probably the most critical thing was to know that I had to transfer pressure from infeed to outfeed.

    Btw, these were pretty thin pieces (3/8") and also only about 5" high and 9-14" long. I ended up not using the push blocks and just using my hands at the very top of the pieces... otherwise I would not be able to keep the piece against the fence. Felt it was more dangerous to use the blocks... BUT did I break a cardinal safety rule in so doing?

    Thanks!
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.

    Comment

    • LCHIEN
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2002
      • 22085
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

      #17
      Originally posted by davidtu
      Well I tried to get the knives reset using the new Grizzly gauge they sent me... but (as I might have already said) it wasn't made right or not compatible as it made the blades too high.

      So, back to JoeWoodworker.Com's advice and since I've now done this SO many times, it wasn't too bad--though I find that the lateral alignment of the knives in the cutterhead was a PITA to get right... it was very sensitive to its position and if off toward the fence or away from it too much and it hit somewhere in the revolution of the cutterhead. The clearances there seem WAY too tight. Sort of wonder if that is by design or there is hardened "gunk" that its hitting. I don't turn it on, of course, just by hand feeling it... so it could conceivably be gunk.

      Anyhow, I finally got some good results today. I think it was the readjustment of the knives coupled with your collective advice & wisdom--probably the most critical thing was to know that I had to transfer pressure from infeed to outfeed.

      Btw, these were pretty thin pieces (3/8") and also only about 5" high and 9-14" long. I ended up not using the push blocks and just using my hands at the very top of the pieces... otherwise I would not be able to keep the piece against the fence. Felt it was more dangerous to use the blocks... BUT did I break a cardinal safety rule in so doing?

      Thanks!
      I think they don't recommend jointing anything less than 10" so you were very near the minimum limit.
      If you were edge jointing this piece, then you can use the push blocks against the vertical fence, applying mostly forward but slightly downward force to keep the edge against the infeed and later, the outfeed table.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment

      • boblon
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2003
        • 727
        • Florida, USA.

        #18
        Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I'll post something in a couple of days.
        I've been reading all the threads I can find on setting up a jointer as the plan is to tear in to mine for the first time tomorrow.

        I have one of the HF dial calipers, but not the flat disk end.

        I would be very interested in your method for making one of these..pretty please

        BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

        Comment

        • LCHIEN
          Super Moderator
          • Dec 2002
          • 22085
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

          #19
          DIY dial guage flat contact for those that requested

          http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23049
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

          Comment

          • ronmetz
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2003
            • 29
            • wilmington, nc, USA.

            #20
            Originally posted by LCHIEN
            DIY dial guage flat contact for those that requested

            http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=23049

            Thank you, what a great idea.

            Comment

            Working...