• Show
Clear All
  • bmuir
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • BT3100

Best Carbide Blade for Cutting MDF

New here. Searched MDF an found nothing. I cut a lot of MDF for speaker cabs. I would like to know what blade(s) you all think are the best for getting the through MDF (number of teeth, angle, etc.). I mostly cut 3/4-inch MDF from HD so it is not the real dense stuff. MDF is tough on carbide and worse on tool stee. But it is what I have to cut. So, do I go cheap or more expensive? What models?
    Thanks for the help.

Bill
    So little time, so much wood!
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The most durable grind is a triple chip. Sometimes the Freud LU82M010 60T goes on sale < $30 delivered from Amazon.

Mike Jackson at Woodnet still has some Leitz deals going:
    35-633 10" z80 TC 5/8" bore *0 degree hook*$28

An alternative is to buy a few cheap 7-1/4" circ saw blades and just go through them....MDF is tough on blades, but it does cut easily.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• RHunter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
      • BT3100

I gotta agree with the idea of using cheap circular saw blades.

I picked up some from HD when they had their buy 1 get 1 free deal on their Ridgid 7-1/4" circ. saw blades.

When I get done with 'em, I just toss 'em!!!!

Saves the Freud blades for the good stuff!!!
      "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
      "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

And I'll third Dustmight's call on 7 1/4" circular saw blades. Why pay for 10" if MDF is all you cut. It eats blades alive if you use it on a regular basis.

BTW, don't over-look Oldhams. I use a 60T carbide Oldham in a PC circular on larger hard-wood panesl (I score the hard-wood) and get excellent results. I keep another on an old Shopmate circular for MDF.

Good luck...

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I just use el cheapo B&D 10" blades for it, but a circ saw blade would work well also.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

if you really want the best you need a forrest duraline hi/at. they are $$$ though.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by bmuir
              New here. Searched MDF an found nothing....

Bill
              The search here has some serious flaws.
              One, it ignores all search words of 3 chars or less. So MDF, Saw, BT3, TS
              all get thrown out when searching; that's why you got nothing, I imagine.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• truckman

I've been wondering about this subject as well ...

I tried out the "What Saw Blade Do I Need?" feature on the freudtools.com saw blade web page, and they recommend either using the TK806 or LU98R010 when cutting 1 1/4" or less MDF on a BT3-class table saw. The TK806 is a 0.098" kerf ATB blade, and the LU98R010 is a 0.126" kerf TCG blade.

A friend who is a long time BT3000 owner suggested that to reduce wear on my BT3100 motor and belts I might use a smaller diameter blade if I don't need to cut through thick material. I noticed that the 10" LU98 blades are pretty expensive and I that could save quite a bit by buying an 8" or 9" version of this blade. Would there be any compatibility problems with this on a BT3100 w/Sharkguard, assuming that I'm always doing through-cuts on 3/4" or less material?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by truckman

I tried out the "What Saw Blade Do I Need?" feature on the freudtools.com saw blade web page, and they recommend either using the TK806 or LU98R010 when cutting 1 1/4" or less MDF on a BT3-class table saw. The TK806 is a 0.098" kerf ATB blade, and the LU98R010 is a 0.126" kerf TCG blade.

A friend who is a long time BT3000 owner suggested that to reduce wear on my BT3100 motor and belts I might use a smaller diameter blade if I don't need to cut through thick material. I noticed that the 10" LU98 blades are pretty expensive and I that could save quite a bit by buying an 8" or 9" version of this blade. Would there be any compatibility problems with this on a BT3100 w/Sharkguard, assuming that I'm always doing through-cuts on 3/4" or less material?
                  using a blade of less than 10" diametere would raise a couple of minor issues with the sharkguard. I would not go so far as to say unsafe, but it would
                  1) leave a gap between the riving knife and the blade, slightly reducing effectiveness and
                  2) cause you to have to remove the riving knife for partial grooving (non-through) cuts.

That said, you noted you will always do through cuts, and MDF is so dimensionally stable that closing up on the kerf is never a problem, so just beware on cutting small squar-ish pieces about kickbacks.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by truckman

The TK806 will cut MDF cleanly...for a while, but will dull more quickly than a TCG grind. MDF is pretty unforgiving to a sharp edge, and will very noticeable if cutting any large quantities.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• truckman

Originally posted by Dustmight
                      The TK806 will cut MDF cleanly...for a while, but will dull more quickly than a TCG grind. MDF is pretty unforgiving to a sharp edge, and will very noticeable if cutting any large quantities.
                      I spent a bunch of time with Google to find out more on this subject. It sounds like ATB and H-ATB blades give a smoother cut and less chipping, but the acute angles wear out faster when cutting MDF, so TCG is probably a better choice for my intended usage. Here's a good explanation by DEWALT.

I was thinking the Freud LU98R010 was expensive until I checked the price for the Forrest Duraline HI-A/T

Comment

Working...