Do you brand/sign/date your work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • uglystick
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 119
    • Garland, TX, USA
    • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

    #16
    Originally posted by scmhogg
    I also use a 3/4" forstner to make a shallow cup for a brand new penny that I epoxy in some hidden place.
    That's a very cool idea. How did you come up with that?
    -Kendall

    Comment

    • Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • 441
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

      #17
      Originally posted by scmhogg
      I have one of those "Handcrafted By" irons that you have to heat with a torch. A PIA.

      I also use a 3/4" forstner to make a shallow cup for a brand new penny that I epoxy in some hidden place.

      Steve
      Steve, I'm gonna steal the penny idea if you don't mind. Very cool!
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

      Comment

      • Tarheel
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 114
        • N. Carolina

        #18
        A Sharpie with the date for all of the stuff that I complete for my beautiful daughters! Hopefully, someday they will say My Dad Made That in 20XX!!

        (Sure wish I could afford a branding iron!)

        Wayne

        Comment

        • bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • 1371
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

          #19
          I do both if something matters to me. I have a branding iron that someone got me as a gift and do the penny thing to date it and says where I made it. Some stuff I make is made in Canada so I use a Canadian penny.

          I tend to brand things in batches because it is the kind you heat with a tourch.

          Bill
          Attached Files
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

          Comment

          • LCHIEN
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2002
            • 22085
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

            #20
            It seems like, as someone said the branding iron you heat with a torch is a bit of a PITA because of all the steps.

            The electric ones are simpler in that all you need is right there, but it still takes a bit of timing. Too soon and you won't have any brand. Wait about 5-7 minutes and it just right and you have to hold in place for about 10 seconds give or take 5 seconds, it takes some practice depending on how hot you let it get. Let it get too hot (10 minutes or more) and it'll be too dark even if you just hit it for a second. They don't have a thermostat in it to keep it at the ideal temperature.

            probably a router speed controller or a variac could keep it at the right temperature for longer periods of time. That and my handy infrared thermometer...
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-28-2006, 03:18 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

            Comment

            • mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • 4197
              • SC, USA.

              #21
              It is a hit and miss with me. Sometimes I do but most of the time I don't. My daughter usually takes a picture and dates it as she thinks I should sign everything.
              Ken aka "mater"

              " People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

              Ken's Den

              Comment

              • jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • 1715
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

                #22
                Someday I'll make something worth putting a signature/brand, etc., on. Until then, while I'm still pleased with many of the things I've made, I still have a long way to go.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

                Comment

                • gjbivin
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 141
                  • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
                  • BT3100

                  #23
                  Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  It seems like, as someone said the branding iron you heat with a torch is a bit of a PITA because of all the steps.
                  True; sitting there for six or seven minutes holding the iron in the torch flame gets to be a bit old after the first three or four minutes. I've been thinking about making some kind of stand to hold the torch and iron, both for heating up and for cooling off.
                  Gary J. Bivin
                  Gilbert, AZ

                  Comment

                  • Wood_workur
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 1914
                    • Ohio
                    • Ryobi bt3100-1

                    #24
                    sharpie under the poly.
                    Alex

                    Comment

                    • cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • 15216
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

                      #25
                      I didn't think of signing or dating work for about ten years. Then I started to do it and put it into an inconspicuous place. At first I would not say anything to the customer untill after it was installed and got paid. They were really impressed that I felt the work was a craft instead of just a check. After that, I used it as a selling point and it gave me a feeling of immortality (if that's possible), like somebody who was somewhat important (in their own mind - mine) in their lifetime. I've got lifelong friends that I'm the godfather to their daughter, and made almost all of their present furniture, and they are still looking for that hidden signature.



                      "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

                      Comment

                      • L. D. Jeffries
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 747
                        • Russell, NY, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

                        #26
                        I sure do. I have two rubber stamps; one small and one a bit larger, plus I have a branding iron with my logo, "Wood n' Dreams" plus my name and town. I don't usually date things however. That way if they sit around in the shop and I decide to sell/give-away people won't think its something I couldn't get rid of.
                        RuffSawn
                        Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

                        Comment

                        • gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 2793
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Warren
                          Steve, I'm gonna steal the penny idea if you don't mind. Very cool!
                          Me too! Me too! Ultra cool!

                          g.
                          Smit

                          "Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

                          Comment

                          • drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • 3338
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

                            #28
                            I'm a sharpie guy, but the penny idea is very cool. Might use that on some future project.
                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

                            Comment

                            • leehljp
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 8803
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

                              #29
                              I use the old fashion method - I use a pencil.

                              I have a ball and claw rosewood rocker that I found out back of a store in 67/68 and bought it for $5.00. It had a pencil mark of the initials of the maker and date of 1903 in a little Mississippi river town that is now gone. (The town had a store and few houses in the mid '50s but all are gone now.)

                              The pencil mark on the chair is still there. It was refinished by a professional in 1989 at a cost of $400.00 (as a present for me from my parents). It is now worth about $2000.00 - at least we have had offers for that.

                              The pencil mark is still there on the inside of the bottom of the seat.

                              I have seen some pencil marks on furniture dating and identifying the builder from the mid 1800s too. Pencil marks stay.
                              Hank Lee

                              Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                              Comment

                              • dwolsten
                                Established Member
                                • Sep 2004
                                • 122
                                • Chandler, AZ, USA.
                                • Ryobi BT3100

                                #30
                                Originally posted by bmyers
                                I do both if something matters to me. I have a branding iron that someone got me as a gift and do the penny thing to date it and says where I made it. Some stuff I make is made in Canada so I use a Canadian penny.
                                The only problem with this penny idea is that our esteemed lawmakers are currently talking about eliminating the penny altogether. So you might have to start using nickels...

                                Comment

                                Working...