This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrollsaw17

young woodworker

Hello. My name is David and I am 17 years old. I have been interested in woodworking for the last 6 years since I was first introduced to it in middle school.

I don't have many tools.

I have a Dremel scroll saw #1650:

A Dremel Tool:

A Jet Dust Collector #650, that i got for free:

And a Ryobi BD4600 Sander:

The sander sure does make a lot of dust. I was thinking of buying a hood to put next to the sander. What do you all think?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Hey scrollsaw17 WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Looks like you got a great start with some nice tools. I would definitely recommend you collecting as much as you can off that sander. Those are hard to shroud, but, take your time and come up with a good design. We will give you all the help we can.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• bigsteel15
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Edmonton, AB
      • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to the best forum in the web.
      Nice to see a young feller in the fold.
      It appears you're possibly in to intarsia or scroll saw fret work.
      Here is a site of a friend of my dad that may interest you (my dad is the webmaster).

BTW, he has a BT3000 table saw.
      Brian

Welcome to the school of life
      Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Hi Scrollsaw17!

I think that sander has a dust port on it. Have you tried hooking it up to your Jet dust collector?

I use a Ridgid benchtop sander and a Harbor Freight dust collector that's not too far off the specs of your DC. The setup works fine for me and I don't need any special hood.

Assuming you don't have these things hooked up, I'll offer a piece of advice. The size of the dust collector port on the sander is a nominal 2-1/4", but you have to carefully choose the adapter from your 4" DC hose. It's easy to mistakenly get a connector that is exactly the same size as the on on the sander and so it doesn't fit inside or outside - it's the exact same size! You can find the correct part at Rockler or Woodcraft for only a couple of dollars, if you have either of those stores near you.

JR
        Last edited by JR; 07-14-2006, 06:23 PM.
        JR

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

David,

Firstly, welcome to the home of seriously brain damaged wookers. Well you're already ahead of me, I can't fit a DC into my shop (garage) with all the assorted toys (I mean tools).

You've come to a great place, this is by all means the greatest forum/web site in the universe and you'll probably never meet a greater bunch of men and women anywhere.

It seems that at least 3 people always have the correct answers to your questions, and by no means,don't be ashamed to ask us.

Except maybe for Loring (he's an engineer and noboby understands him anyway ).

Just keep making saw dust, it's the only way to learn.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Welcome aboard,

I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful for any questions that you have. There are lots of great people on here with a wonderful wealth of information. Don't hesitate to post your questions and join in on anything you feel an interest in. I've learned a lot just by reading through the posts and now make this almost a daily "educational" stop.

Looks like you've got a good start on the tools required for scroll work. That dust collector is really essential for you health and future enjoyment of woodworking. I also have the BD4600 and find it a very useful tool, but like you mentioned, it does produce a lot of dust. Hooking it up to you dust collector is a real must.

Welcome and enjoy the hobby,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

That BD4600 sander does have a dust port and it is rigged to capture dust coming off the belt. Its a 2-1/4" dust port - fits a regular 2.25" vac hose, you need to get the correct adapter and a 4" hose to the DC.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scrollsaw17

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I haven't hooked up the sander to the DC yet because I don't have any hoses or fittings for the DC. I will have to buy those some time soon.

I have a question.. when i am ready to take the disc off of the sander to put a new one on, how do I do that?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

The disk have PSA - pressure sensitive adhesive.
                  The get the old one off it should just peel off. To get the new one on, remove the protective backing from the disk and
                  You just place it in the right place and press it firmly into place.
                  Sometimes you might clean the aluminum disk to remove dust and dirt on top of old adhesive that might keep the new from sticking. A solvent cleaner like mineral spirits or Goo-be-gone should do the trick.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Another trick with PSA sanding disks is to run a piece of scrap on them to heat them up before you take the old paper off. Makes the glue come loose cleaner.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• RayintheUK
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      That dust collector is really essential for you health and future enjoyment of woodworking.
                      Be sure to wear a dust mask. Even with a dust collector hooked up, a mask will protect you against airborne fine particles and is essential safety equipment.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Ray.
                      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Clemson, SC, USA
                        • Rigid TS3650

Welcome aboard - make sawdust, have fun, be safe!
                        Ken Weaver
                        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• scrollsaw17

I was looking through the Penn State Industries catalog for adapters. I realize that I will need one that is 4" O.D. to 2-1/4" O.D. so the adapter will fit the sander. I also looked through Rockler but they don't say if the dimensions are OD or ID. Does anybody know about the 4'' To 2-1/2'' Reducer they have, will it fit my sander with a 2-1/4" I.D.?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I find it very frustrating that they don't list ID vs OD for these DC fittings and adapters.

I think you'll want the 2-1/4" one, that will fit inside the port on the BD4600. The 2-1/2" one will be the same size as the port on the BD4600, then you'll have to use a vacuum hose to connect in-between.

The 4" to 2-1/4" adapter is also the one that fits the rear port on the BT3100/3000.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

I don't know Penn State's products, but here is the reference to Rockler's adapters.

If you're able to bring your 4" hose directly to the sander, you'll want: Hose Adapter #20871 Lets you easily and securely hook up a 4'' hose directly to tools with a standard 2-1/4'' port. Works with most benchtop tools. Tthis one can be recognized because the 2-1/4" port is offset to one side of the 4" circle.

If you're trying to get from 4" hose, then extending with shop vac hose to get to the sander, use this one:
                              4'' To 2-1/2'' Reducer - #89195. this one is recognizable because the 2-1/2" port is centered on the 4" circle.

It's pretty hard to get the right connector without screwing up because there aren't many common standards between DC parts and more-available plumbing parts. The offset vs. centered thing for these adapters is pretty common, though.

Good luck,
                              JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...