• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cain
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Little Rock, Arkansas.

Wax

What type/brand of wax do you put on your TS? Also, what is paste wax?

Thanks,

Cain
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Cain
    What type/brand of wax do you put on your TS? Also, what is paste wax?

Thanks,

Cain
    Johnson's Paste Wax is what I use. The "paste" waxes are semi-hard (think of a very soft candle wax.) Check your local grocery or hardware store, usually in the area where they have the cleaning supplies.

One thing to remember...

Never us a wax with silicone in it!!

This means NO car wax or any other product with silicone in it. Sorry if I'm shouting, but silicone in any form will mess up your project's finish. DAMHIKT!
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Johnsons paste wax seems to be the standard. It is in a yellow can similar to car wax but as noted it does not contain silicon like most car waxes. Johnsons is found in the cleaning area of limited grocery stores. Easiest place to find it is Ace Hardware where they keep it in their paint section (or at least the ones I have been in).
      You will want to wax the item of choice a few times per week, daily if possiable for a couple weeks. After that a reapplication once every couple of months seems to be good. Owners manuals often recommend waxing rails and fences as well as all the cast iron parts.

Comment

• RmeDad
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Scottsdale, AZ
        • BT3100-1

Alternative finish

Is it ok to use T9 (Boeshield) instead of wax?
        Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by RmeDad
          Is it ok to use T9 (Boeshield) instead of wax?
          Yep. It is more expensive and does not perform well in low temps. Other than that it is good stuff.

Edit: I understand that miter fences should not be waxed on BT3.

Comment

• RmeDad
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Scottsdale, AZ
            • BT3100-1

What about.....

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
            ....does not perform well in low temps.
            HIGH temps, I'm in Phoenix area and low to mid 100's is very common. Yesterday was 103 with that temp expected to continue for.....ever?
            Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• ke4rdb
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006
              • Mooresville, NC
              • Ridgid TS3650

Wax - Router Table

Hi All,
              Sorry for changing the subject a tiny bit, but was wondering if any of you use Johnson's Paste Wax on a MDF Router Table. I just finished a new one with a 22"x36" table made with MDF and would like to put someting on it and the Fence (also MDF) to make it more slick

Thanks

James
              Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ke4rdb
                Hi All,
                Sorry for changing the subject a tiny bit, but was wondering if any of you use Johnson's Paste Wax on a MDF Router Table. I just finished a new one with a 22"x36" table made with MDF and would like to put someting on it and the Fence (also MDF) to make it more slick

Thanks

James
                I'm pretty sure it ill work well for that.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

ke4rdb, there is no reason why you couldn't use Johnson's on MDF. Before you put the wax on though, you might want to put 3 or 4 coats of poly on the MDF.

Comment

• offthemark
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Germantown, TN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
                    ke4rdb, there is no reason why you couldn't use Johnson's on MDF. Before you put the wax on though, you might want to put 3 or 4 coats of poly on the MDF.

My worktable is made of MDF. I would recommend sealing the MDF before the poly. It will cut the number of coats you need. I used 1 coat Minwax Sanding Sealer, 1 coat poly, and then wax. Has held up pretty good. Plus, when it gets to goughed up, I'll just buy another piece of MDF for $20 and replace.
                    Mark
                    --------
                    "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I am another Johnsons PW fan. One tin will last a long time. I dont see any reason you could not use it on your router table. May want to give it some poly first to seal it.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• gmack5
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

This information was posted in a greeting that I usually post for "Newbies", if I missed you, sorry, my apologies.

Regardless of what you've read or others have told you, NEVER EVER use any wax or lubricant on your saw that contains Silicone, this includes all automobile waxes and polishes and most spray-on furniture polishes.

The reason is simple enough, most of them contain Silicones that will make your projects difficult to finish.

Silicones repell liquid, making "fish eyes" in your finishes, this will cause you to remove the Silicones from your project and start over.

That stuff (Silicone) migrates all over every where, don't ask me how, it just does.

If you put it in one place, eventually it will be all over the entire saw.

Your best bet is to use a "dry" lubricant, such as Teflon (PTFE), Powdered Graphite, or Candle Wax (parafin) for the Raising/Lowering and Tilt mechanisms below the table top.

Do NOT use "oils" as they will get sticky and attract Saw Dust and "gum up" the mechanisms under the table top.

Use either Johnson's Paste Wax, Minwax's "Finishing Wax" or Butcher's Wax on the working surfaces, table tops (All three of them) and the Rip Fence.

Do NOT Wax the Front and Rear rails or the Miter Fence. As a mater of fact, you may want to glue 220 grit sand-paper to the front face of the Miter Fence, cause you don't WANT things to slide on there.

Hope this helps.
                        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
                        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
                        George

Comment

Working...