• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhelfer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Biscuit joinery or just glue?

Assuming I can get my router to joint my edges well, I am going to put some boards together to create a 22" dia table top for an occasional table. 3/4" thick wood.

Considering this usage, do you think I need to use biscuit joinery, or can I just glue it up edge-to-edge?

Does the answer change if I include the fact that I'mout of biscuits and would have to go out and buy more?

Thanks for any advice.
  • dwitzke
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2003

Just glue it up. Unless you are going to use the biscuits to help in alignment, they are not needed.

Comment

• venkatbo
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Though its true (these days) that the glue in joints holds up better than the wood itself in breakage tests, biscuits are very useful in alignment, especially if slots are cut with an uniform reference along the length of the faces being joined. Any errors in slots alignment could be amplified when its time to join the boards.

Also, since the biscuits may not really add much more strength than the glue, you may want to leave the slots glue free, before placing the biscuits. This will give you sometime to adjust alignment before the glue starts drying up on you. Water in the glue makes the biscuits bloat and cause a tight fit in the slot.

/venkat

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think the biscuits are primarily for alignment.
        Strength enhancement is secondary.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Let's not forget that biscuits are actually flat plate dowels, which is why biscuit jointers were initially (and are still correctly) called "flat plate dowelling machines."

The original intention of the machine was to cut a slot for a type of spline joint, but the inventor (Hermann Steiner, a Swiss cabinet maker) went on to develop the machine further, then founded the Lamello Corporation.

Flat plate dowels acquired the nickname "biscuits" owing to their wafer-like appearance, so the name of the machines that used them swiftly followed suit.

Long way of saying: "If dowels or splines add strength, so do biscuits."

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• jhelfer
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2004
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Ah - That's why Harbor Freigth sold me a "plate joiner" rather than a biscuit joiner. I always wondered.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

I would take the time to use biscuits. Every glue up I've ever done has had a tendency to slip somewhere and they really do help the alignment. Another trick I've started using is to put two 3/4" dowels, about the length of the glue up, one on each side (see pic below, its a 30" long table top, the dowels are 24"). This puts the pressure point from the clamp exactly in the center of the boards being glued and there's less tendency for the clamping pressure to cause a bow in the glued up stock.
              Attached Files
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

One more vote for biscuits, alignment is everything. The better the alignment of the glue-up, the less work for you to do after it dries. Also, consider taping the edges so help prevent problems with glue squeeze out. Especially if the wood is porous such as red oak.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...