• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cain
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Little Rock, Arkansas.

Router Depth

What's the rule of thumb for depth of cut when cutting dados (or just about any cut for that matter) with a straight bit with a router? It seems that I remember reading my router manual a few years ago that you should only cut 1/4" at a time. Is that correct?

I have a router that only accepts 1/4" shank bits. For future reference, could you cut deeper with each pass with 1/2" shank bits on a 1/2" collet router? (I've got my eye on the Hitachi router kit currently on sale at Amazon.)

While waiting for my Freud dado set to get here, I've decided to go ahead with a current project by cutting dados with my router. Some of the dados call for depth of 1/2", but I don't want to go too deep too fast if it's not appropriate.
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I just cut some dados in 2x4s with the Hitachi using a 1/2" collet bit at 1/2" depth and it worked quite well. However, with a 1/4" collet, I would make multiple passes. For one thing, the shank of a 1/4" bit will flex. For another, the stress of making a cut that size might cause a 1/4" bit to fail.

The Hitachi is big and powerful. The difference between it and the Ryobi and Craftsman routers I've used before is like night and day.

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

I would be very cautious making a cut deeper than 1/4" even on 1/2" shank and if you have a 1/4" shank bit I would reduce the depth of cut further depending on the diameter of the bit. 1/4" shank bits flex and brake and plus they are small so they get hot if you cut too deep and start burning wood. It is better to reduce depth of cut than speed or feed rate.
      Hitachi makes great routers; M12V lives in my table, KM12SC is my hand-held router. KM12VC would be good all-around kit.
      Alex V

Comment

• Cain
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2004
        • Little Rock, Arkansas.

Unfortunately, it looks like I waited too long on the Amazon deal. It was in my inbox yesterday, but I didn't pull the trigger. Wish I did.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A quarter inch per pass is a good rule of thumb, yes. Although there are lots of variables to consider. Router horsepower, bit diameter, bit type, wood density, feed rate, etc.

Router guru Pat Warner says not to cut more than the equivalent of 1/4" x 1/4". With a 1/2" dia bit, that would mean 1/8" deep per pass. I'll confess to regularly cheating on this limit ... at 3/4" and above I'll reduce the cut depth to less than 1/4" but for bits smaller than that I generally don't.

One thing I virtually always do is take the cut to about 90-95% of its final size, using however many passes are required to get there, and then make one last pass to clean it up.
          Larry

Comment

• ejs1097
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I usually do 1/8" for most bits even non straight bits. It might take longer but if the bit tears into the wood once and ruins it, you'll wish you took less the first time.
            Eric
            Be Kind Online

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

My 2 cents
              the 1/4" bit I would not take more than about 1/8" because if you look at it from the end with the flutes and all its cross section is not very strong and they are easily broken, esp. the spiral upcut straight bits.

I think with the 1/2" dia bit 1/8" deep cut is probably a safe bet, you are cutting twice as much material per pass, if you try and cut as much as 1/4" it will be 4 times the cut as the 1/4" recommendation of 1/8". I'd feel more comfortable cutting 1/4" with a 1/2" bit if it also had a 1/2" shank.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

Accuracy suffers when you try to push things. Like Larry, I like to remove most of the material and then make a final clean up cut. I sometimes remove some of the material with the BT3100 and then clean up the cut on the router table.

Jim

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

From my own experience, taking passes that are somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4" deep works best for my 1/2 spiral cut bit with 1/2" shank. It is the best compromise between speed and a good cut. Anything over 1/4" deep and I get a ragged cut.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

use the turret

I just set my final depth with the stop, and then use the turret thingy (can never remember what its called) to make multiple passes intil it down to final depth.

Jon
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                      Forum Newbie
                      • May 2006
                      • Sacramento, CA
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                      From my own experience, taking passes that are somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4" deep works best for my 1/2 spiral cut bit with 1/2" shank. It is the best compromise between speed and a good cut. Anything over 1/4" deep and I get a ragged cut.
                      What router do you use? Thanks!

Comment

• softop41
                        Established Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

router bit cut depth

The advice I was given and follow is this: The max depth should never be more than 1/2 of bit diameter for 1/2" shank bits over 1/4"; 1/4" and under, regardless of shank size, should be 1/4 of bit diameter max. I can't remember where or who this came from but it has been working for me now for several years. Granted, this most directly applies to dado cutting.
                        Just my 2c worth
                        Jerry
                        Jerry
                        Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

Working...