• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jziegler

And I'll go on the record saying that the Avenger set has been good for me so far.

Jim
    does the Avenger stack add up correctly for you, e.g. two 1/8" blades + two 1/8" chippers and a 1/16th chipper will give you exactly 9/16ths?

That's the complaint I have heard about the avengers more than once.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jziegler
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Salem, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Loring,

No, it's not exact. The plates are thinner than the 1/8" carbide. But, so far, I've been really good at guessing the right shims to add to the stack to get it to work for me. I'm keeping a record of what I use so that I can easily get the same thickness again.

I think that the manual even mentions doing this, but I'm not sure.

In the future, I can post a list of the stackups that I have used if anyone is interested, although I think I only have a few sizes so far.

Jim

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      does the Avenger stack add up correctly for you, e.g. two 1/8" blades + two 1/8" chippers and a 1/16th chipper will give you exactly 9/16ths?

That's the complaint I have heard about the avengers more than once.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jziegler
        Loring,

No, it's not exact. The plates are thinner than the 1/8" carbide. But, so far, I've been really good at guessing the right shims to add to the stack to get it to work for me. I'm keeping a record of what I use so that I can easily get the same thickness again.

I think that the manual even mentions doing this, but I'm not sure.

In the future, I can post a list of the stackups that I have used if anyone is interested, although I think I only have a few sizes so far.

Jim
        OK. That seems to be a major difference with the Freud vs Avengers. I've heard multiple times that the Avengers don't add up as expected and the Freuds do. My personal experience with the Freuds is that they always add up perfectly as expected. Maybe that's what the extra cost goes for...
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• gmack5
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Dado Stack Setup

Some time ago, someone on the Forum, I don't remember who, posted a method of determining how many spacers were needed to get an accurate Dado Stack for the particular pieces being mated.

The trick was to put MORE spacers than you thought were needed to make an accurate Dado, make a cut in a piece of scrap material (same material as your intended piece to be dadoed), dis-assemble your dado Stack, then insert the intended mating thicknessed material into the Dado and add Spacers from the stack in the Dado beside your workpiece untill you can't get any more in.

Leave those Spacers OUT that you got in the Dado beside your Workpiece and reassemble your Dado Stack with the Spacers that would NOT fit beside your Workpiece and you should be good to go.

Make a Second Test Cut in scrap and try the assembly again.

Everything should fit perfectly, at least mine did!
          Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
          Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
          George

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

I also have the avenger set, Loring. They don't add up from the numbers on the blades, which is just fine. What I've done is make a chart that is in my dado case with all of the correct plates and spacers for my stack to get the common widths that I would use. ( 3/4, 23/32, 1/2, etc... )

I got these setups through a little trial and error and some calipers. It doesn't take long to get a setup correct, and then I don't really have to monkey with that setup again.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by drumpriest
              I also have the avenger set, Loring. They don't add up from the numbers on the blades, which is just fine. What I've done is make a chart that is in my dado case with all of the correct plates and spacers for my stack to get the common widths that I would use. ( 3/4, 23/32, 1/2, etc... )

I got these setups through a little trial and error and some calipers. It doesn't take long to get a setup correct, and then I don't really have to monkey with that setup again.
              Maybe its moot since I heard Avenger has closed its doors for business.
              Those of You who know me know I'm not adverse to math.
              But I think the Freud are definately more friendly/easier to use in this regard. But you guys saved 30-40 bucks over the Freud so I guess to you it was worth it.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Well, being a graphics programmer, I'm also not adverse to math. It is annoying, I think you are correct, not so user friendly for the math impared out there. I got my stack for 40$, so I'm not complaining.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

It certainly does appear that they have closed up at least their website.

I have no problem doing math, but certainly a set like the Freud ones would be easier. I also got the Avenger because of the price, I'm just building up my tools from virtually nothing, so saving money can be important. In this case, it was a gift that I had requested, had I asked for a pricer one, I quite possibly would not had received one.

I would be interested in seeing a comparison between the cut quality on the Avenger and the Freud, the Avenger has more teeth both on the outer blades and the chippers.

Jim

Comment

• ellis11

The Avenger shop is selling out the 6" dado sets for 37.25 so I ordered one yesterday and will see how it works out.

The link for the dado set is: http://www.avengertoolsonline.com/ca...Dado_Sets.html

Comment

Working...