X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spf45
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2005

Bandsaw Motor and Horsepower

I recently bought a Delta X-series 14” bandsaw. It is advertised as having a 1.5 HP motor. As I was putting it together, I looked at the AO Smith motor spec plate and noticed it says 2 HP. I didn't think too much about it at the time: I imagined they put these things together much like Compaq and Dell put together PCs, and use a variety of parts and suppliers.

Well, it’s been a week or so since I noticed, but it is still bugging me: I know very little about electric motors and how literal the horsepower specifications are. Did I get a 2 HP motor instead of a 1.5 HP motor? If so, is there enough difference that I should be mildly happy about it? I attached a height adjustment kit and plan to *occasionally* resaw 8-10” hardwood.

Thanks.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

How many amps does the motor draw? This too will be on the tag. A 1.5HP induction motor should draw about 10A. A 2HP, about 12A.

A 2HP motor is a 33% increase over 1.5HP so, yeah, that'd be reason for at least a small Snoopy dance.
    Larry

Comment

• spf45
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by LarryG
      How many amps does the motor draw? This too will be on the tag. A 1.5HP induction motor should draw about 10A. A 2HP, about 12A.

A 2HP motor is a 33% increase over 1.5HP so, yeah, that'd be reason for at least a small Snoopy dance.
      Thanks, Larry. The plate says:

V: 115/230
      A: 15.0/7.5

I can picture the Snoopy dance. I will make sure the doors are shut and the blinds are closed! I am sure my sanity is already in question!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sounds like you got more motor than promised... good deal.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...