• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlengowski
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2004
    • Newburyport, MA, USA.

Hi Loring. Great job.

Any chance of getting this posted under it's own forum and made a sticky? (e.g. "[u]Discussions</u> / [u]FAQs</u>")

I have a feeling many people will miss this under "Getting Started" and you will get very tired of telling people to "RTFF". I know I jumped straight to the "BT3x00 related discussions" forum as a new member and never looked at "Getting Started" because it's described as being for people "getting started in woodworking". If it was listed as a forum you might have a better chance of catching people before they even enter a forum.

Again, great job. I was so tired of looking for those "magic" threads that describe Lonnie's jig, or The Bomber, or SMT alignment, or ...

- Mark

P.S.
    I would consider splitting the acronyms into their own document and make that a separate sticky. Following that line, additional FAQs could be added to the forum for things like "General Woodworking", "Finishing", etc.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Loring,

Great job!

Just one "fix".

You said Menards was "similar to Cummins".

I'm not all that familiar with cummins, but from the description right above that (selling reconditioned tools from trucks) that's not at all what Menards does. Menards is actually very similar to a Lowes or BORG. It's just another big box lumber/hardware/home improvement store, found mainly in the upper midwest.

-Tim

Comment

• ElRay
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • NoIL

quote:Originally posted by tfischer

Loring,

Great job!

Just one "fix".

You said Menards was "similar to Cummins".

I'm not all that familiar with cummins, but from the description right above that (selling reconditioned tools from trucks) that's not at all what Menards does.
        But given the typical quality of stuff from Menards, it's not far off. Also, essentially all of their "sale" items (especially flooring) are discontinued items, so if you think you need 10, or enough for 150 sqft, etc. buy more "extra" than you typically would, because you'll probably never find anything to match down the road.
        quote:Menards is actually very similar to a Lowes or BORG. It's just another big box lumber/hardware/home improvement store, found mainly in the upper midwest.
        Yes, they are another big-box store, but I wouldn't say they're very similar. If Lowes is a high-end Chrylser, then The BORG is the mid-level Plymouth equivalent and Menards is some no-name vehicle of indescriminate origin that more or less looks the same, has some name-brand add-ons, a few ultra luxury items and is appealing enough that you're compelled to drive it every now and then, but every four out of five drives, you slam the door and say F@*#&$%#'n Menards and promise to yourself you'll never get in that death trap again.

Ray

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
        --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I guess I don't share your views of Menards. I like the BORG better, and the average Menards minon might as well be serving fries rather than attempting to give out advice (yesterday I asked them where their "1 by" (1x) stock was, and the guy looked at me as if I had just spoken Greek). But I've had no problems with quality of goods at Menards. They pretty much have the same brands as everywhere else, and I've actually found they can have better lumber stock than the BORG, although they both tend to suck.

As for tools, they have all the name brands, Jet, and a couple low-end knokoffs. The knockoffs (Tool Shop being the main one) tends to be on par with HF as far as quality -- in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they come out of the same factory. As with HF the quality is hit and miss -- when you get a hit it's a great value, when you get a miss, you get a somewhat expensive boat anchor.

But my original point was that Menards isn't a dealer of remanufactured goods -- In fact I don't think I've ever seen ANY remanufactured goods in Menards.

-Tim

Comment

• Woodnut
            • Sep 2003
            • Modesto, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Loring! Great Job, that's what I was trying to do for a long time... (I almost had the acronym list built, but I think you did a better job than I was going to...)
            Woodnut
            "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• lcm1947
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Austin, Texas
              • BT 3100-1

Just wanted to say " thanks " for this post. It is an excellent help Lchien. Well done and my hat goes off to you Sir!
              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've updated the FAQ with about 6 months of stuff I've been working on, its 7 pages longer now.

It includes a picture of the original BT3000 system including most all the accessories they had all on one saw.

I'm still open to any suggestions, additions, corrections.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jerrye
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Raleigh, NC, USA.
                  • BT3000

Loren,
                  I know you have NNA, but I gotta throw one out: DAYB-Design As You Build, because that's how I often work! Sometimes great results, sometimes firewood, but always fun! And I can't believe I'm the only one on the forum that has worked this way. Yeah, I'll follow plans if I have them, but sometimes, you can't find a plan, and modifying one won't work, sooooo...[8D]
                  Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• WEG
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Nahant, MA.

Hi Jerrye;
                    There are plans?? Whoa, now what would I do with those?? [8D] I agree with your "what fun" the DAYB is..."Wow! Look what I did!" [:I]or "Yuck, look what I did!" [:0] I find myself scribbling some plans to start then making changes as I go usually because "Oh, I didn't think of that!".. Great Fun !!
                    Jeez, I'm glad I'm not alone...
                    WEG
                    oops, almost forgot...Nice job Loring, thanks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Updated again on April 13, 2006
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• fiasco
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006

are those links still good?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by fiasco
                          are those links still good?
                          The link is currently though my ISP, EV1.
                          EV1 seems to be down tonight. The links were working earlier today.

Try again later and you may wish to download and keep a copy.
                          EV1 is scheduled to cease its services and the link through EV1 will
                          go down on Dec 4. I hope to have a new web home by then and will change the link so it should be seamless but, you never know.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jlm17
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2007

So apparently ev1.net is no longer serving this FAQ. This is too bad, because I keep bumping into problems and finding threads that say "Just look at my FAQ". But the link is giving "302 not found".

Does anyone have a copy of this FAQ and a way to post it online? Seems like this would be quite useful.

Thanks.

Comment

• jlm17
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2007

Moments after posting my question, I remembered the internet wayback machine. They do have a copy of your FAQ. Here is the link:

LCHIEN, you may want to change your signature to point to this location of the FAQ until you get a new ISP.

Comment

• radhak
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2006
                                • Miramar, FL
                                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by jlm17
                                Moments after posting my question, I remembered the internet wayback machine. They do have a copy of your FAQ. Here is the link:

LCHIEN, you may want to change your signature to point to this location of the FAQ until you get a new ISP.
                                neat, never knew of the 'wayback machine'.
                                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                                - Aristotle

Comment

Working...